Am I being petty? - long, ranty one, sorry

Sammylou

Reaction score
My husband is getting to the busy time at work and his boss has decided that he wants to have a lunch at the local pub before they get really busy. The boss likes to play at being the country squire and I think he enjoys the 'yes sir, no sir, how high would you like me to jump sir' attitude he gets from most people round here. I'm not good at that attitude so I tend to avoid most work get-togethers (I didn't go to the xmas one last year as my son wasn't welcome and there was no-one to leave him with).

I have said that I will go if my son is welcome, if they don't want my son there I'm not going, but they don't like the idea of him being there - something about the bosses wife was brought up that children shouldn't be in pubs! (sorry but he's my son, it's a quiet country pub and it's a sunday afternoon, he's been in there often enough for meals and he's always been made welcome). I would understand if it was going to be in a posh restarant or in their posh house (where even I'm afraid to move because of all the expensive paintings!) but it's in the LOCAL PUB! The most recent thing that they have said is that they will pay for some girl from the village to babysit, now I don't know this girl and whilst I'm sure that they wouldn't mention it if she was a phyco I'm not keen on someone else dictating to me who looks after my son - if I wanted to dump him on someone while I go out and have a meal I have friends who would look after him!

I haven't ask a friend to look after him because I don't really want to go and be with a group of people I have nothing in common with if they won't at least make my son welcome.

Sorry for the stupidly long rant, just needed to get that off my chest :blush:
If anyone manages to read this far do you think I'm being petty????

no I don't think you are being petty. I hate my OH's workmates, total sexist blokes who love to just get drunk and piss around. I avoid work dos at all costs cuz I don't want to be around them.

I dont think that is petty at all, they should be a bit more understanding. And as for offering to pay for a local babysitter...are they nuts?

Is this a works get together ? Is it during a time when you would usually be working?

I understand you not wanting to leave your son with any stranger, i wouldn't either.

However at a works meal/meeting, i wouldn't expect to bring my child, but if it was during a time i would have off like a weekend etc then yeah i would probably not bother going i would want to spend time with my daughter.

Whisper - it's a 'pre season' meal for the estate workers and thier partners (we are the only one who have a child) on Sunday afternoon, it's not a meeting as they are having a meeting for my husband and the other workers before hand. Sometimes Lee will work on a Sunday but ussually he has the day off - he's a game keeper so he works when there is something that needs doing, he doesn't have set hours.

It looks like I'm not going as they really aren't willing to let my son come and I have point blank refused to leave him with someone I don't know.

I think the problem is that they come from the rich upperclass school of parenting that says ship the kids off to boarding school and them dump them with a nanny during the holidays, they can't quite understand that we would want our son with us, or that a 5 year old can be capable of behaving in a pub!

its only lunch, i wouldnt expect anyone to show up for a works get together with a lo tbh whether it in work time or not

but as its oh's work could he not just go without you

To be honest, I wouldn't expect to take my kids with me to hubby's work dos... Why not get a babysitter, someone you know (you said you have friends who you could ask) and enjoy having a couple of hours without them - everyone needs a break at some point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->