Am I doing her harm

Amy-Lea

Reaction score
Well Hallie was always a fussy eater, ate no more than one full jar of baby food a day and then would only eat pudding jars and lots and lots of milk so kept her weight up.

I eventually realised after a smash and grab of my dinner :rofl: that Hallie simply wanted 'proper' food :dohh: So after experimenting and disliking alot of foods, every single tea time she has Mash/mixed Vegetables/Gravy & MINT SAUCE haha she is obsessed with it,wont eat it without (guessing my constant craving for it passed on) Or scouse/stew!

Tonight for a change for her tea I buttered a piece of bread, ripped up a sausage roll, chunks of cheese, ritz crackers and squoze some ketchup on her tray and she had a grand old time and ate the lot. Then polished off a rice pudding for desert!

I think that the above meal is obviously quite junky and snacky but I don't want her eating veg and gravy every night, do you think I'm doing her more harm by giving her a introduction to some snacky foods to vary her tea times or is it just as bad having the same tea every night?

I think both ways aren't very good, she shouldn't have the junk stuff but also shouldn't have the same thing everynight. It can take 10-20 times of giving the same food for them to finally take to it. And if she realizes that she has no choice, she has to eat what is given she will do it, she won't go hungry. I would just give her whatever you are having for dinner, as long as it's healthy, maybe add more veggies or something if you think she needs more, but I wouldn't make her a seperate meal everynight so it's the thing she likes. The longer you do that the harder it would be to change, it's best to get them eating right from the beginning because as older toddlers and kids it will be hard to change, just stick with it she will eventually start eating more, just keep offering it :) I would try and be careful with dips too..like ketchup has alot of sugar in it, some good dips would be hummus, yogurt for fruit, things like that. Just offer a variety of foods and don't give up too quickly, like I said it can take quite a few times for them to start to eat it and like it...good luck

I dont think a bit of junky stuff every now and again is a problem but what you described there is packed with fat, sugar and salt - very bad for her. If you gave it once a flood it would be fine but there's quite a lot of bad stuff there for a little set of organs to try and process in one sitting hun. I dont see why you cant introduce lots of variation without having to resort to very refined and processed stuff. :)

Well the thing is she goes to Nursery once a week and I read her book in astonishment, so far she has ate in nursery:
Fish , Chips and peas.
Salad, Peppers, carrot sticks, bread sticks and dips.
Noodles
Spaghetti on toast
& other home made stuff yet when i try she refuses point blank! I think she only eats it because she see's the other kids eating it.

My shopping is due to be delivered in the next 20 minutes so she will have so I am am going to give her carrot batons, cucumber,noodles bread sticks and some ham and see how she gets along with that. then give her a yoghurt.

Would you suggest not letting her down from her seat until she has ate them? I really cant get her to eat for me unless its mash haha

& Thanks for the advice but my diet consists of Quorn & Potatoes so I don't think she will be too well off on that either !!

i wouldnt keep her in her seat until shes eaten it.. just let her down when she shows you shes had enough x

I'm so happy she has just ate the whole plate, carrot battons, strawberries, cucumber & heinz baby cheese crackers. Least I know she enjoys healthy snacks!

That's great!!! Yeah I wouldn't leave her in her seat until she ate it, she wouldn't understand that yet. Just keep offering, she will eat when she's hungry, just don't give up too quickly on certain things because she refuses, try them over and over

She was in her seat for over an hour, but she was munching the whole time whilst watching baby tv. Only time she moaned was when he plate was empty!

Now its just tea time. The only things I can think of to make her is mash and frozen veg and peas, but that would mean gravy again , she is gunna turn into a gravy granuale haha

I'm a bad mum when it comes to what I'm eating. Caitlyn had a pizza crust last night (granted she didn't eat hardly any but she could've if she wanted) and she's fine. She does have healthy dinners though, she loves veggies, especially if I cook them and give her them whole!

She was in her seat for over an hour, but she was munching the whole time whilst watching baby tv. Only time she moaned was when he plate was empty!

Now its just tea time. The only things I can think of to make her is mash and frozen veg and peas, but that would mean gravy again , she is gunna turn into a gravy granuale haha

Does she have baby gravy or normal gravy?

She has normal gravy, with low salt.

I didn't even know there was baby gravy :|

Please dont say she isnt meant to have normal gravy!!

I've just read your previous post though and im gunna try Hallie on some whole veg to eat as finegr foods before I give her the mash and blended veg!

Well, Caitlyn has had normal gravy, but I switched to baby gravy. Honestly it tastes good, I've used it myself :rofl:

Where do you get it, or what make is it rather, I've never even saw it before whilst in the baby aisle!

I'm just steaming some veg now for her to eat as finger food then I shall give her some proper dinner. I hope she eats whole veggies!

She is currently nomming all her broccoli florets, not keen on cauliflour by the looks of things, Ive just made pasta shells and passata with some blended veg in I hope this works :) Wish me luck!

You sound like you've had a cracking day hun!! I'm sure low salt gravy is fine - I never actually knew there was a problem with gravy but we dont really have it in our house. I'm a veggie and the rest of them tend to eat what I am!!! :lol:

I think you're right about them watching the other kids and eating better at nursery. My nephew is a rubbish eater for his mum yet he eats all sorts at nursery. We had him saturday and he was refusing his ham sarnie till he saw Hebe 'eating' a bit of bread and then he was off!!

Keep trying stuff - you sound to be doing great x

Thank You all we have done today is eat!

Weetabix for breakfast
Cucumber, Carrot Battons, Cheese crackers & Strawberries for Lunch
Broccoli, Cauliflour & carrot battons as a snack
Pasta shells, passata and blended veg for tea ate half a bowl
Just gone to my Mums as she babysits of a Wednesday and shes just ate a bowl of Mash and gravy a yoghurt and mixed berries.

Least Ive tried alot today and tomorrow I wont feed her as much but least I'll know how to add variety, thanks for everybodies contributions in this topic xx

We had one hilarious meal when Connor was about 15 months. I was amking pasta with sauce for all three of us thinking we could just pick out the things he wouldn't eat, but while I was cooking he came asking for some of the stuff I was chopping. He ended uop eating a slice of garlicky mushroom, peperoni, half a black olive and a slice of red pepper just while I was cooking. He seems to have developed a taste for most things you would consider "aquired tastes" already. Just hoping he doesn't start asking for caviar soon!

i think you can get baby gravy from boots hun :) Pleased she's doing better :)

xxx

Best thing I ever done looking around the weaning topics, in just 2 days she has tried so many different foods, she even had cous cous before! I was so proud pushing her round the shops whilst she was nomming a carrot baton and cucumber!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->