Am I over reacting?

Camlet

Mummy of 3 :)
Reaction score
My 10 year old son came home from school a little upset today and told me that his science teacher had said to him "for god sake (childs name) I hate marking your work because it is always so scruffy!" & told him to write neater or she would make him restart all over again. Now I can understand his writing is on the scruffy side (he has autism & does tend to rush to get to the next task & can get quite excited about certain subjects). I have spoken to him about working on it, which he was quite understanding about & cared about it so much he proudly told all his teachers he is going to try really hard to slow down & write neater. I just am so mad that this teacher thought it was acceptable to talk to my son in this way & feel it will only knock his confidence rather than really achieve anything. I'm sure there was a better way to have dealt with the issue. I really want to complain tbh & possibly talk to my sons senco about the way this teacher is treating her disabled pupils. Do you think that would be unreasonable? xx

No I would definately be bringing it to light. I think its totally unacceptable for any child to be spoken to that way

I agree with pp, I think that comment was out of line no matter if the child was a typical peer or a special needs peer. The wording was demeaning for any child, tbh. Definitely could have been approached in a much better way than that.

Definitely bringing up- you're your child's advocate. Teacher should be encouraging him ways to be neater- perhaps suggesting a better layout for his work, or buddying him up with somebody, not just knocking him down without any construction. He's 10 fgs!

Thank you so much for your replies. I was really starting to feel like maybe I was just being an over protective mum (He has been through so much, I know I can get a bit over protective at times). I am definitely going to have to make a complaint I think as he's telling me that is just how she tends to speak to him in general.

Oh lordy, I'd be pulling the teacher. Unacceptable!

Really out of order and I would speak to school about it. On a side note I would also speak to school about them providing a writing aid for him such as an alpha smart or laptop. Jack used both in primary school, sometimes the teacher would scribe for him if it wasn't oo much, not all the time but often it helped as he would out more information down on paper if he wasn't held back by physically writing it. He is now in high school and doesn't use anything and is managing fine mostly but I have his first review meeting and I am going to ask that he can use an aid in English because the difference in his recent essay in his jotter and the finished product typed out for presentation was about 1.5 A4 pages.

Definately unacceptable. It's not your child's job to make this teacher "enjoy" his marking. The teacher needs to know that isn't an acceptable way to talk to any child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->