Am I overreacting?

Sarah88

Full time working mummy
Reaction score
Just wanting your opinions ladies...
My MIL was over the other day :)() and she said she was talking to her friend and they decided that she could be called 'ma'. She was worried because I want my mum to be called Grandma and she also wanted to be called that. So i said it's fine, savannah can just have two grandma's, it's no big deal.

I think that Ma is horrible and refuse to let Savannah call her that as it sounds too much like mum. Does anyone else agree or do you think i'm overreacting and should just get over it?

imo honey no i don't think you're over reacting at all! i wouldn't want maddi calling my MIL ma, for me its much to much like mum. can you have a chat and explain how you feel? x

No i dont think you have over reacting , savannah may call you Ma to start off and not Mama , i know some babies started with that before they got the hang of it being 'mama' 'mummy'.

I would explain to her that its too much like 'mama' and you dont want to confuse her.

:wohoo:
Thanks ladies. I plan to tell her next time she brings it up/ i see her; was too shocked when she first said it to say anything. My OH doesn't get it and told me to 'get over it', needless to say he got an earful after that comment.

Nope....I wouldn't like it either....nooooooooooooooo way:hissy:

Alternatives.......

Gran

Granny

Nan

Nana

Nanna (this is what we use)

Nanny

....give her the choices and she'll still feel like she's made the decision:shhh:

We tried nanna and stuff, had the talk the day Savannah was born and she wated grandma but then decided of her own accord that she wanted ma. Stupid woman. I don't c the big deal in it all personally, why not be called nanna or grandma thompson?

my step mother wanted 'mama brigitte' i mean c'mon! ffs! in the end i said no and now we'll just call her brigitte to the kids.

No, I totally don't think you are overreacting. Ma is what some people call their mothers and it is so close to mum. I agree with the others, just give her some alternative choices or do what you have done already and say that you can have two grandmas.

Nope not overreacting at all. Having the same issue with my MIL. Told her she could use the Chinese word for grandma, not knowing at the time that that word is Ah-ma (okay not spelled that way but that's how it sounds) :hissy: And now she's mad at us for telling her not to use it (of course we've told her this four or five times, but she chooses to ignore us :hissy: :hissy:)

I would have major automatic rage if my MIL suggested that! I think I would have told her to DREAM ON! ugh... you have just brought on internal rage towards my MIL right now LOL (and she hasn't even done anything this time :rofl:)

Nope not overreacting at all. Having the same issue with my MIL. Told her she could use the Chinese word for grandma, not knowing at the time that that word is Ah-ma (okay not spelled that way but that's how it sounds) :hissy: And now she's mad at us for telling her not to use it (of course we've told her this four or five times, but she chooses to ignore us :hissy: :hissy:)
WTF is it with MIL's? are theyreally inoocent, or is it their goal to do things to make us mad? Can't she see an obvious reason why you don't want her to be called that?:dohh:

i think "ma" is the same as "mum", your mil should be called grandma

Ma is far too similar too mum, what about going for a compromise and go for something like "oma" which is the German version of Grandma. Or just tell her to pee off or you'll get your child to call her silly or something like that when's she older.

In my opinion out of order!

Actually,some kids over here DO call their moms Ma,so that would be completely out of the question for me.
Tell her that she can choose whatever variation of Grandma or Nana she wants but this is off limit.
Speaking of that Lola will have two Grandma's. :)

Ma is far too similar too mum, what about going for a compromise and go for something like "oma" which is the German version of Grandma. Or just tell her to pee off or you'll get your child to call her silly or something like that when's she older.

I'm so tempted to just teach my child to call her Kaye (her name) just to piss her off :rofl: afterall, it's my child and i'll be the one teaching her to say whatever she gets called. lol. Ok so I wouldn't be that mean but it's tempting!

And here I was thinking that people would call me mean and nasty by suggesting it! :rofl:
It's tempting...

Savannah may choose to call her something else anyway! Joshua calls all his grandparents different names! My dad is papa paul and my step dad is gramps and my OH's dad is grandad. No1 influenced him, thats just what he decided.
He also calls his nans nanny debbie and nanny pauline so they're both nannys but he always uses the names! Then his great grandparents are just nan!
Very confusing! but sweet i think!!
I dont think ur over reacting by the way!! MIL's are so annoying!! xx

i agree - too much like mummy to me.

My LO has a grandma, a nanny and two granddads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->