Am I stupid for trying for a homebirth second time round?

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I am TTC with no.2 - DS is nearly 1 now!

I planned a home birth with no.1 but due to waters breaking and not going into established labour within 24 hours I ended up being induced. It was awful and I ended up with an epidural after they hyperstimulated my uterus. I had no other pain relief before hand because I didn't want my baby to be affected by meds.

I ended up with an episiotomy which they botched so I lost over 2 litres of blood and had two blood transfusions. I spent 3 hours pushing so now have bladder prolapse :-(

I know alot of Doula's and I'd love s homebirth but I can't help feeling like maybe I shouldn't bother. I was so scared and stressed by the hospital that I think my body shut down once it realised it was on a 24 hour clock before having to be induced. It was horrible rushing around to see an accupuncturist to help speed up labour etc.

If I aimed for a MLU then I'd know what I was letting myself in for & no stress maybe? I worry that id have to fight for a HB as they class me as haemorrage even though it was their fault.

I don't regret my epidural as it allowed me to sleep and as I was dilating half cm every 4 hours it was a long labour (that was pre-epidural). Once I have the epi, i relaxed and slept and it all sped up a little.

I also feel a little under pressure to have a homebirth because I didn't manage it last time - to prove to everyone it can be done....

any advice or experience?

Well, I had a similar experience to you the 1st time with induction (leaking waters) and episiotomy (but that wasn't botched). I chose home birth the 2nd time and it was a wonderful experience, NOTHING like the 1st.

But the most important birth is one you enjoy and are comfortable with. The pain at home was nothing like hospital induction - I was desperate for the epi with the first but it never even crossed my mind with the 2nd.

At home you won't be on the clock or induced and as you say you didn't have a PPH you have a bleed related to a botched surgical procedure. If it were me I'd not trust the hospital again unless I was in need of desperate medical attention and so long as you are having a healthy pregnancy I"d go for it.

Your far from mad, I had a similar experience first time round PROM, pitocin, epidural, episiotomy, forceps. Never again do I want that, so HB is the way forward in my eyes. I had to transfer at end with dd2 due to meconium in waters, she was not distressed and I knew it so just did as I was told as oh do!!!! Buttttt I laboured and birthed naturally so was just the wrong setting at the end of the day. Totally go for it, you won't regret it. X

Awww congratulations!! You can now plan your perfect birth :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->