American Girl Dolls

Amarna

Mother
Reaction score
I asked my daughter (soon to be 7) what she wanted for her birthday in a couple months and right away she asked for an American Girl doll. She even got out a catalogue she had holed up in her room and showed me the "Caroline" doll that she apparently has been fawning over. I love the historical aspect of the dolls and the stories they come with but the price is crazy! But I wouldn't be completely adverse to it if they hold up well?

I think she will use it a lot, she has a My Generation (Target Brand) version of these dolls and has used it a lot but after a couple years of use it's hair is really matted, the joints have never worked right and recently one of the eyes has started to close funny. A lot of the accessories/clothes she has already would be interchangeable though.

Before I commit to making such an expensive doll purchase though I wonder if they're worth it? Has anyone had one/had kids that had one and have they held up well to years of cuddling and play? DD isn't super rough with her dolls and generally treats them nice so I'm not too concerned about her playing too roughly.

I've just had a look at what one is.....jeez $110 for a doll! & the price of the accessories!

I personally couldn't justify that amount for a doll.

Sorry I'm not much help!

I have one that I got in 1992 i played with it a lot when i was young and its still in pretty good shape. plus you can send it back to american girl for it to be fixed and sent back almost as good as new and its not terribly expensive to do.

Yeah, at that price if we got it for her birthday that'd be all she got, that's just about our budget for gifts. And just the doll, accessories, etc. I'd get generic brands from Target and Toys R Us, etc. My main question is about the quality of the dolls, if I got one I'd expect it to last for her to give to her kids, I wouldn't want it to break a year later.

Honestly I'm glad she wants a doll over a video game system, etc. that can cost as much and don't have the same imaginative potential.

Oh gosh, I have a preschooler and I'm not looking forward to when she starts school. Your daughter probably sees that all of the other kids have the dolls so she'll feel left out if she doesn't get one, too. I want to say that I would never spend that much on a doll, it's outrageous and unnecessary. But honestly, if she's a good girl, does her chores, does well at school and appreciated it, I probably would just get it.

If you use ebay you can often find them there for under $100. Loads of clothing, shoes and accessories available below retail as well :thumbup:

I was one of those moms that WANTED her daughter to want one lol. Like you I'd rather have my child into something like that than electronics. The quality is night and day difference to a lot of the other junk out there and I imagined her passing it down to her daughter someday as I've done with mine.

I'd have considered it an investment in a well made toy as well as the potential to evolve into a beautiful nostalgic hand me down.....but in the end they never quite appealed to her enough to make it worth the purchase. I was so bummed!

I say go for it if she wants one!

I was in New York last year and got my daughter the bitty twins from this store. They are very good quality

So I caved and ordered it for her birthday next month. DH is going to kill me for spending so much, lol. But honestly we usually spend as much on several things for her birthday and this being just one thing makes my job that much easier, lol, and I know she'll really appreciate it because she's been asking for it for so long. I decided on the Kaya (Native American) doll, should soften the blow a bit for DH who's really into his Native American heritage and hopefully this doll will be a bit of a gateway to teach her about her heritage on that side. That's how I'm going to spin it at least. :D

My daughter got one from Santa for Christmas. She loves it

Maybe check eBay for lower priced ones either new or lightly used. Until 2 years ago I told my kids that we had ticked the 'Eco Santa' box on the Christmas list to explain why most of their presents didn't come in boxes/packaging. The truth was that they came from eBay, car boot sales or charity stores but most of them were in excellent and as new condition!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->