Amnio? Who has had it?

deinekatze

Reaction score
I am curious as to which of you have had the procedure done or not and why? Is there a preliminary test that they would do before suggesting Amnio? I was 20 when I had my first kid so didn't worry about that... 40 now, 41 in May...so I do worry

I am curious as to which of you have had the procedure done or not and why? Is there a preliminary test that they would do before suggesting Amnio? I was 20 when I had my first kid so didn't worry about that... 40 now, 41 in May...so I do worry
yes there is first they suggest 4d scan,done in conjunction with blood test around 11-13.5 wks area, this will tell you either no worries at all or that may need amnio if inconclusive,all the girls i know including me who had it felt put mind at rest as you know very early on and no one i know had to go on to have the amnio. i was 40 and was told had the pregnancy of a 16yr old ha ha. hope this helps good luck x

yes there is first they suggest 4d scan,done in conjunction with blood test around 11-13.5 wks area, this will tell you either no worries at all or that may need amnio if inconclusive,all the girls i know including me who had it felt put mind at rest as you know very early on and no one i know had to go on to have the amnio. i was 40 and was told had the pregnancy of a 16yr old ha ha. hope this helps good luck x

really? so with the 4D scan and blood test they can see if there are birth defects? Oh THANK GOD! I hope that is enough then... AWESOME! Yeah something about a gigantic needle freaks me out LOL

the early scan looks for obvious major deformities and nuchal fold thickness; the blood test is to calculate your risk of chromosomal abnormalities (Downs, Edwards etc) and spina bifida risk.

An amnio is done to collect DNA from the baby to test for these genetic problems.

It is the anomoly scan at 20 weeks (in the UK) that can look for organ development problems. It can take up to this length of time to show up.

wishing you :dust:
xxx

the early scan looks for obvious major deformities and nuchal fold thickness; the blood test is to calculate your risk of chromosomal abnormalities (Downs, Edwards etc) and spina bifida risk.

An amnio is done to collect DNA from the baby to test for these genetic problems.

It is the anomoly scan at 20 weeks (in the UK) that can look for organ development problems. It can take up to this length of time to show up.

wishing you :dust:
xxx

so the amnio can be done at 16 weeks though...hmmm I wonder what my doc will suggest

Some doctors will suggest an amnio regardless. I did not have one with my last at 39 and do not plan on doing it with this one either at 42. They started asking me about an amnio from my first appointment with the last one because of my age only. There was nothing to indicate need when I got to the point of scans and bloods (scan at 12 weeks plus scan at 20 weeks). I wouldn't do it just because it was suggested unless you thought there was really a reason. They often calculate high and many people get amnios who didn't need them.

Some doctors will suggest an amnio regardless. I did not have one with my last at 39 and do not plan on doing it with this one either at 42. They started asking me about an amnio from my first appointment with the last one because of my age only. There was nothing to indicate need when I got to the point of scans and bloods (scan at 12 weeks plus scan at 20 weeks). I wouldn't do it just because it was suggested unless you thought there was really a reason. They often calculate high and many people get amnios who didn't need them.

so I should say to do blood work and scans first and then, based on that outcome, chose Amnio or not. Right?

I would rather not do it. No family history on my side. My husband I believe has an uncle on his father's side that has mild case of Downs or something. I just worry. We are not getting any younger and I would not want to have a child with issues if I could avoid it. I mean if it still happens of course we would love it just as much but lets hope for the perfect baby

My nuchal scan and bloods and age came back with a 1-50 risk of DS with my DD when I was 36.

I was offered a CVS (which can be done earlier than an amnio) or an amnio.. I declined both and went on to have a very reassuring 20 week scan and a very healthy baby.

I am TTC number 2 at age 37 so my risk by age alone (without bloods or scan is now 1-242 up to 1-189 in a few months when I am 38 both considered higher risk so I would be offered an amnio or CVS again.

Of course the scan and bloods test for other genetic conditions too.. Personally I wouldnt have the scan or bloods done if I get pregnant again... I would prefer to have a detailed 20 week scan to check for soft markers. It completely ruined my pregnancy last time with all the stress and worry and knowing for sure that I had a baby with DS wouldnt change my mind about continuing with the pregnancy.

Its such a personal decision and I dont think anyone can decide until it comes to it.. its definitley worth researching and thinking about it all beforehand though. Forewarned and all that! xx

My nuchal scan and bloods and age came back with a 1-50 risk of DS with my DD when I was 36.

I was offered a CVS (which can be done earlier than an amnio) or an amnio.. I declined both and went on to have a very reassuring 20 week scan and a very healthy baby.

I am TTC number 2 at age 37 so my risk by age alone (without bloods or scan is now 1-242 up to 1-189 in a few months when I am 38 both considered higher risk so I would be offered an amnio or CVS again.

Of course the scan and bloods test for other genetic conditions too.. Personally I wouldnt have the scan or bloods done if I get pregnant again... I would prefer to have a detailed 20 week scan to check for soft markers. It completely ruined my pregnancy last time with all the stress and worry and knowing for sure that I had a baby with DS wouldnt change my mind about continuing with the pregnancy.

Its such a personal decision and I dont think anyone can decide until it comes to it.. its definitley worth researching and thinking about it all beforehand though. Forewarned and all that! xx

and your daughter is precious BTW... love her eyes!

Guess I have to wait and see what my doctor suggest if and when we get there.... I am putting the cart in front of the horse here but I do like to prepare myself.

My cousin and his wife are expecting their #2 also after 20+ years... she is 36 (not 40 like me) and they only did the blood stuff and left it at that. I think I will be luck and not need anything more either... I am pretty healthy, non drinker, non smoker, never done drugs etc... same with hubby... so fingers Xd all goes well :thumbup:

Thankyou xx I think you are very wise to prepare yourself.... I had sort of read and discarded the leaflet about testing when I was pregnant and it came as a huge shock when I got the call with my results. Even though my OH and I had previously decided that a high risk wouldnt matter, when it came down to it we really wavered... I got as far as lying on the table being scanned with the CVS testing set ready... we saw our DD jumping about in the scan and we just couldnt do it... it brings a lump in my throat just thinking about it now! The very small risk a CVS brings just wasnt a risk we wanted to take at that time. Good luck with TTC (I am currently TTC 2) and motherhood - I always tell any mum to be to go with their intuition, it got me a long way during my pregnancy and in bringing my little girl up so far.. I am a firm, firm believer in mothers intuition xx

well I hear CVS is less dangerous than Amnio...

we shall see what the future holds:happydance:

That is also something I'm wondering about. I am SO worried about something going wrong, but at the same time, it's risky. I'll definitely be interested to hear other stories about this.

Being a complete woose where needles are concerned (I mean hit the deck every time jobbie), I'm really not sure I could have this done to be honest. I know that may sound very irresponsible but I think when I do (not if I do!) get preg I will have to take the 'what will be will be' approach. Crikey, I watched One Born Every Minute last night and they were doing the epidurals for c sections - mon dieu!!!!!

Babydust shower coming your way ladies!!!xXx
:dust::dust::dust::dust::dust:

Being a complete woose where needles are concerned (I mean hit the deck every time jobbie), I'm really not sure I could have this done to be honest. I know that may sound very irresponsible but I think when I do (not if I do!) get preg I will have to take the 'what will be will be' approach. Crikey, I watched One Born Every Minute last night and they were doing the epidurals for c sections - mon dieu!!!!!

Babydust shower coming your way ladies!!!xXx
:dust::dust::dust::dust::dust:

Oh I am like that too, BELIEVE ME!

I had my first without any anesthetics for that reason... the thought of a needle stuck in my spine OH HECK NO! I just went for my 21 day test and I always have to look away when they draw blood... Once it is in I don't mind as much but seeing it go IN to the skin YIKES! They really need to come up with a better way to do things I tell you LOL :rofl:

OMG deinekatze you are so brave I can't even look at it full stop....bang, that's it I'm gone. I always have to ask to lie down now don't trust myself to sit!!

In fact for my bloods I had done recently I had to go back because one of them highlighted that Prolactin (the hormone that controls ov) was high which was either a sign of PCOS or that I was getting my knickers in a knot about the needle - fortunately the second test highlighted the latter! But it did make me think that perhaps if you're stressed about getting preg it may have a bearing on it...

Anyway, lets think positvely, healthy happy preg, no needles, gorgeous healthy bub :baby: at the end of it :thumbup:yeah!!!xXx

OMG deinekatze you are so brave I can't even look at it full stop....bang, that's it I'm gone. I always have to ask to lie down now don't trust myself to sit!!

In fact for my bloods I had done recently I had to go back because one of them highlighted that Prolactin (the hormone that controls ov) was high which was either a sign of PCOS or that I was getting my knickers in a knot about the needle - fortunately the second test highlighted the latter! But it did make me think that perhaps if you're stressed about getting preg it may have a bearing on it...

Anyway, lets think positvely, healthy happy preg, no needles, gorgeous healthy bub :baby: at the end of it :thumbup:yeah!!!xXx

well I just got off the phone with my doctor's pffice and they called back with the results :happydance: glad they did not make me wait a full week after all! So they said I am ovulating normally so that is good :thumbup: Now lets wait and see if the :witch: shows up in a week or not. Kind of tired of the cramps already LOL

COME ON :baby::baby::pink:

lots of :dust: for everyone!

Way 2 go hun, brilliant news on the blood test. C'mon get that BFP!!!

I'm not having a lot of luck on the old BD front here I'm CD14 and have only dunnit once so far this week :nope: - that's na good, I'm going to have to jump him!!:haha: Soo glad it's the weekend so I can chill too. Have deliberately not p'd on a stick or checked my ov calendar to see when I'm supposed to be Oing (you impressed?), am trying to take the relaxed approach this month - think it's too relaxed at the mo, we need some bedroom action!!!!!:happydance:

Babydust backatcah!!xXx:kiss:

I'm not having a lot of luck on the old BD front here I'm CD14 and have only dunnit once so far this week :nope: - that's na good, I'm going to have to jump him!!:haha: Soo glad it's the weekend so I can chill too. Have deliberately not p'd on a stick or checked my ov calendar to see when I'm supposed to be Oing (you impressed?), am trying to take the relaxed approach this month - think it's too relaxed at the mo, we need some bedroom action!!!!!:happydance:

yeah I say make it a weekend of dancing:rofl:

Make it seem all natural, tell him how sexy he is... and how he turns you on :winkwink:
Be playful and let him know you want him for him...(not cause of a baby...don't even mention baby)...and as Nike says...JUST DO IT!
:sex::dust::happydance:

yeah I say make it a weekend of dancing:rofl:

Make it seem all natural, tell him how sexy he is... and how he turns you on :winkwink:
Be playful and let him know you want him for him...(not cause of a baby...don't even mention baby)...and as Nike says...JUST DO IT!
:sex::dust::happydance:

Just about to dive in the bath to scrub, pluck and de-prickle myself to perfection:haha:how will he be able to resist? Love all the tips though, thanks hun, DEFINATELY don't tell him anything about baby!! Here we go!!
:kiss:

Just about to dive in the bath to scrub, pluck and de-prickle myself to perfection:haha:how will he be able to resist? Love all the tips though, thanks hun, DEFINATELY don't tell him anything about baby!! Here we go!!
:kiss:

most importantly ...ENJOY IT! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"