Amniotic fluid disappears in 3rd, how?

Babushka

Reaction score
I apologise if this is a really daft question but according to the updates that I am receiving, amniotic fluid disappears in the3rd trimester. Just wondering if it leaks out or if it somehow evaporates in the womb? I've had a bit of runny discharge over the last couple of days which I assumed was normal discharge, perhaps it's amniotic fluid?

Whuuut? I keep hearing that too little or too much amniotic fluid is an issue. I don't think it's supposed to disappear until your water breaks and it starts to leak.

I didn't know this, but if it does disappear I would say that what happens is that it's injested by the baby and we just don't regenerate it!

I had loads of water when I had them broke with my first 2 so don't think it does disappear?

This is definitely incorrect?! The amniotic fluid doesn't disappear, if it did it wouldn't be very safe for the baby xx

No it is true! The baby eats it! That's what the meconium is, otherwise there wouldn't be anything in their system at all to get rid of!

I was chatting with my midwife about all the hiccups this baby has and she said it could be that the baby is gulping down the amniotic fluid too fast and so gets hiccups. I was surprised that they eat it, but she said yes they do!

I think the volume of amniotic fluid reduces, but it certainly doesn't disappear - otherwise there would be no 'waters' to break!

I was interested in this so I had a quick search on wikipedia and here's what it says:

"Function - Amniotic fluid is "inhaled" and "exhaled" by the fetus. It is essential that fluid be breathed into the lungs in order for them to develop normally. Swallowed amniotic fluid also creates urine and contributes to the formation of meconium. Amniotic fluid protects the developing baby by cushioning against blows to the mother's abdomen, allowing for easier fetal movement and promoting muscular/skeletal development

The volume of amniotic fluid is positively correlated with the growth of fetus. From the 10th to the 20th week it increases from 25ml to 400ml approximately. It reaches the plateau of 800ml at the 28 week (gestational age). The amount of fluid declines to roughly 400 ml at 42 weeks ga."

So there's plenty there for waters to break but the volume does change as you go along. Interesting!

Thanks girls. The things you learn along the way huh?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->