An eye for an eye

Tasha

4kids+2angels+16mc
Reaction score
What do you all think of this?

https://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2071529,00.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/opini...eye-for-an-eye-is-proper-justice-2285055.html

It has since been prosponed, and the victim is now asking for 2 million euros to 'spare' him.

It is all pretty shocking to me.

Sorry if this has been posted else where I did look.

I saw this on the news yesterday, the womans face after he had thrown the acid was just so sad.

Yes i do think an Eye for an Eye.

All because she turned down his marriage proposal.

Thats how they do things over there, barbaric for some and justice for others.

V xxx

Oh I dont know, if you say you agree with 'an eye for an eye' then you agree with it for ALL cases, so for Murderers- the death sentance, and I just cant agree with that :shrug: So my answer would have to be no.

It totally goes against everything I agree with.

An eye for an eye is not positive justice, it is revenge, and revenge breeds hatred, it doesn't right a wrong. I also believe in objective, impartial judgement - I do NOT believe victims should have a say in the punishment of a criminal.

I agree with the women's rights advocate who was quoted: the entire case only highlights the deficiencies in the law. The victim has been put into a terrible position. A sentence of prison time and a monetary penalty would be plenty to discourage such acts, but she doesn't get that choice. It's either retaliate or forgive? This is one of those times when I try to be open-minded and understanding about how things work in other cultures and fail utterly. It just makes me very very grateful to live where I do.

I just think the whole legal system is to soft. I mean peodophiles., murderers etc get put in prison .. have you seen prison?. They get money to buy stuff, food, a bed, nothing to do all day, just play games. I think its rediculous, a peodophile in my area was released 3 years eary (he only got 5 years) because of "good behaviour". Drives me mad!.

I just think the whole legal system is to soft. I mean peodophiles., murderers etc get put in prison .. have you seen prison?. They get money to buy stuff, food, a bed, nothing to do all day, just play games. I think its rediculous, a peodophile in my area was released 3 years eary (he only got 5 years) because of "good behaviour". Drives me mad!.

So are you suggesting that we need to adopt the "eye for an eye" style of justice? :shrug:

I agree with the women's rights advocate who was quoted: the entire case only highlights the deficiencies in the law. The victim has been put into a terrible position. A sentence of prison time and a monetary penalty would be plenty to discourage such acts, but she doesn't get that choice. It's either retaliate or forgive? This is one of those times when I try to be open-minded and understanding about how things work in other cultures and fail utterly. It just makes me very very grateful to live where I do.

I agree, it puts women in such a difficult position, I for one could never forgive someone who did that to me or a loved one, but I don't think I could live with myself if I put anyone through that kind of pain either.

It's a difficult one.

I'm with Ghandi on this one, an eye for an eye and the world goes blind.

So are you suggesting that we need to adopt the "eye for an eye" style of justice? :shrug:

Not necessarily but i just think if the system was harsher then people wouldnt get so angry and want an "eye for an eye" style of justice.

Not necessarily but i just think if the system was harsher then people wouldnt get so angry and want an "eye for an eye" style of justice.

Harsher how?

The problem I have is that the media (particular The Sun and Daily Mail) have completely hyped up the public's perception of prisons. Yes, a large amount of taxation funds prisons but they are expensive to run, though the media would like you to believe it is all spent on plasma TVs and X boxes. Have you ever been to or are you close to anyone who has been to prison? I am, and I can tell you from their experience they didn't just sit around playing games all day. Prison life is very structured for a purpose - the punishment is the lack of freedom, but it is important that structure remains so that prisoners are rehabilitated and in good shape to return to society once their term is spent.

Yes i have seen prisons and talked to prisoners. This is what i have been told by a prisoner. He said it was a “joke” and a “doss”. As for rehabilitating them back into social life i don’t think all of them deserve to be. I think murderers and paedophiles shouldn’t be allowed back into society. I don’t think they deserve free surgery to give them a new identity. I know people can change, iv seen it but when people are doing serious crimes and getting out early for good behaviour statistics show they do repeat the crime again. This just shows that if they are willing to take the risk of geeting caught again, prison couldn’t have been that bad.

Thats a lot of generalising. There are an indefinite amount of different circumstances where crimes take place which is why it's wrong to say ALL murderers should never be allowed out. If a victim of long standing domestic abuse decides to kill their partner it is a lot different to someone randomly deciding to take someone from the streets and kill them, yet both are murder.

Also people reoffend for many reasons. I'm not saying prison works for all but I am saying that it is by no means a reward or an easy place to spend time.

I have never spent time in a prison myself so i dont know first hand but like i said this is coming from the horses mouth. Personally i wouldnt like a peodophile or murdered (regardless of the case) near my son but i do agree that there are different types of each crime. The life expectancy of a woman is 81. The way i see it is that someone who murders a 20 year old has taken away an expectancy of 61 years. I think it would be fair for the murderer to spend the 61 years of the victims life in prison.

This is just my opinion and i understand people wont agree with me but thats okay because no matter what happens nothing will change.

Well the accounts I have heard are from someone who spent time in a category B prison and then an open prison. By all accounts the category B prison sounded like a horrible place to be.

I understand your point but realistically it wouldn't be feasible to imprison murderers for that length of time, nor necessary, as if the prison system worked as it should (which it does often) people are rehabilitated before then.

Exactly my probelm.

I dont think they should be rehabilitated. Same with serious criminals.
Whos says they wont do it again? But they might not... Its difficult.

I dont think this type of justice system would work or is "right" but i think it is fair unfortunatly.

Being in prison doesnt reverse what they have done, maybe for minor crimes they should rebuild what they set fire to or be forced to do labour work. I like the idea in the film holes where they dig holes all day and then fill them back in etc.

Also speaking of someone whos relative was murdered, nothing can bring back a murdered victim to their family and friends and for me any amount of years inprisonment is not justice enough.

I think the question there is do you believe prison is for rehabilitation or punishment, or both??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->