An odd question....

Sweetpea1010

Reaction score
A friend of mine delivered her baby boy at the same hospital im to give birth in and she said they let the baby stay in the room with her but they would take him out during the night for tests. Does anyone know what tests would require the baby to leave the room? I would like my baby to stay with me the entire time. Can I tell them not to take my baby at night and do any sort of tests in the room?

I find it odd that they would take the baby away from the mother for tests. With my first, I kept him with me the whole time. Any tests were done in the room. I think you can tell the hospital that you want to baby to stay with you and that if any tests are needed you want to be with them.

I agree, I don't see why they would need to take him away from me for testing. I'm going to request that any tests be done in the room :)

Here at our hospital they are taken away for their hearing test. We opted out of our dd having her hearing tested and so everything else we could have done in the room

They didn't take my son out for the whole night, but they came and took him out a few times for the following reasons...

1.) Hearing test (he had to be taken 3 times for this because he hadn't passed it at first)
2.) Check bilirubin levels to catch any possible jaundice before discharge
3.) Circumcision (but that was our choice, of course)
4.) Check his weight before discharge

That's it!

I would ask if you or baby's dad can go with for any tests, if they can't be done in the room. If there's specialized equipment for the hearing test or something, I can see them taking the baby to the nursery, but I'd rather go with him. The only thing my hospital won't let parents attend is circumcision.

I'm in the UK, I’ve had three kids in three different hospitals and I’ve never had any of them taken away from me after birth. All tests (hearing, vaccinations, hip check etc) were done in the same room.

We're in Scotland and all tests needed were done in the ward except the hearing test where is he was taken away for about 30 mins. I remember panicking at the time as I had just agreed to it in my post birth haze without really thinking.

I later remember a girl across from me saying she didn't want her baby to go alone. The nurse confirmed the hearing test couldn't be done on the ward but that she or her partner could accompany them.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Joy x

At my hospital they took the baby away at night for an hour to do all the tests. They had to prick her heel and check her bilirubin levels and also do her hearing test. The baby wasn't gone long and I was sleeping anyway. They assured me that if the baby cried or got upset during testing they would bring her back for me to feed her. I didn't see it as a big deal, i know nurses and doctors are very busy during the day, and it's probably much easier for them to take the babies out of the room for an hour at night and do all the testing at once than to go into each individual patients room for tests.

Mesa would be taken around 3am and brought back three hours later, but we were having to be kept overnight for IV antibiotics for a couple days, so they did all her tests while they were running the IV. They would bring her back to me if she was super upset or they couldnt settle her and were very good on keeping me posted on how she was. Honestly, I was grateful, as it was about the only 3 hour strech of sleep I would get at all.

I'd be asking them to NOT take my baby away at night. I imagine they could do the tests during the day when you can go with your baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->