Anemia

Lynda09

Mummy to two angel babies
Reaction score
Hi girls I've just found our I'm anemic and was just wondering if anyone has this if so what are the symptoms? I've been very tired but I've also been ill for about two months trying to fight a throat infection I'm waiting for the results to see if its strep throat or possible glandular fever I don't think its either just can't fight it off. Could being anemic make it difficult to fight infections or have any effect on what's going on with my throat?

Thank you very much.

Lynda

it can make you feel breathless... because without enough iron in your blood you will struggle to get the extra oxygen you need while pregnant in to your system..... so gasping for breath would probably make any throat or chest issues feel worse.

Being anaemic means in general your blood isn't doing all it could so there are lots of symptoms that people can experience. If it helps you feel better half of all pregnant women have anaemia. Easily fixed with iron tablets or an iron water like spatone and really nothing to worry about.

When I was anaemic I felt like my body and brain were shutting down - absolutely exhausted. I can believe that your body would struggle to fight off illness when you're anaemic because it struggles just to do the basics.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
Lx

Is it true that you may possibly require a blood transfusion following labour if your anaemic?

Yes it is true. I had to have 2 transfusions because of amaemia after my daughter was born. Sometimes they may try a course of iron supplements first but it depends how severe the anaemia is.

Lx

Normally it depends on how much blood you lose. Naturally if you're already anaemic you'll suffer more badly if you have a PPH.