• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Animal rights protest - thoughts?

Lina

Hooyo
Reaction score
I haven't seen this covered in the media (happened some months ago) and came across it earlier.

Whilst I credit the campaign with ingenuity, I can't help but feel this sort of thing is a step too far and seeks to convert by aggressive means. The link is below, some may find it disturbing so view with caution.

https://banoosh.com/blog/2013/05/29/animal-rights-protest-in-barcelona/

The term "first world problems" comes to mind. I really don't think vegetarianism is a "cause" I didn't realise people actually class the food chain as cruelty against animals, if they don't want to eat meat go them but they can't expect everyone to feel that way, I think they could be using their time much more constructively!

I was a vegetarian for six years, but not because of animal rights. I certainly do wish to see change in how we raise and slaughter livestock, as I find many facets of our current factory farming systems inhumane. However, my choice to be a vegetarian had more to do with trying to have a lighter eco-footprint. Eventually, as I got older and started to do more travelling, I realized that there were other things that were more important to me than vegetarianism.
As for this particular protest, I think it is designed to shock and get attention, but that it isn't particularly mature or reasonable. Good for them for having passion and convictions, but I am afraid that I don't agree with their arguments or their "meat is murder" statement. I do not feel guilty about eating meat. Nor does a lion or a chimpanzee or spider. I need energy to live and my body has evolved to take energy from both meat and plant sources. Fair game to all those who choose to stick to veg, but please spare the sanctimonious judging of other diets. I could turn around and call them vegetable killers. Plants are living things. Why is it okay to eat them, but not meat?
I find these PETA-like organizations hugely lacking in rational thought and awfully fond of bad science. I appreciate that they have a cause, but I could point them in the direction of several issues that are more pertinent to animal welfare and conservation. :shrug:

I'd be very surprised if they managed to 'convert' even one person into vegetarianism by doing that. I am not a vegetarian but agree with sarahkka that they way which livestock are treated has much room for improvement. Maybe these people would have had more success trying to raise awareness of that rather than try these shock tactics.

I have a cousin that is a vegetarian and keeps posting on facebook how " meat is murder", "eating meat is like eating your grandmother" and it really grinds my nerves. Even over the internet i get the impression that she thinks she is much better than all the meat-eaters out there, and i think these people in the protest have achieved the same thing- a dislike from the general public because of the underlying "holier than thou" attitude.

I have been vegan/vegetarian since I was 13 and absolutely do see meat as murder. If someone was out hunting and eating what they kill to survive, then it's different, but the meat industry is disgusting, there is no need to treat any living thing like that. I did used to be a horrendous veggie though, constantly banging on about it, but I just couldn't see how anyone with any moral judgement could possibly eat meat, but I'm not so bad now haha and rarely like getting into discussions about it.

The protest is designed to shock and is a little irrelevant as we don't eat humans...so it's not quite the same, although using something shocking is more likely to gain publicity and change a couple of minds. I used to be a member of PETA and did some leafleting with them, basically just handing out factual leaflets against Iams and KFC, which I think is fair enough and it did change the minds of some people I know. But I actually can't stand PETA now, I don't see why they have to use sexism to promote animal rights.

I don't see it as just a first world problem either, the effects of the meat industry on the environment and the amount of food waste that goes into producing meat is really quite awful.

I have been vegan/vegetarian since I was 13 and absolutely do see meat as murder. If someone was out hunting and eating what they kill to survive, then it's different, but the meat industry is disgusting, there is no need to treat any living thing like that. I did used to be a horrendous veggie though, constantly banging on about it, but I just couldn't see how anyone with any moral judgement could possibly eat meat, but I'm not so bad now haha and rarely like getting into discussions about it.

The protest is designed to shock and is a little irrelevant as we don't eat humans...so it's not quite the same, although using something shocking is more likely to gain publicity and change a couple of minds. I used to be a member of PETA and did some leafleting with them, basically just handing out factual leaflets against Iams and KFC, which I think is fair enough and it did change the minds of some people I know. But I actually can't stand PETA now, I don't see why they have to use sexism to promote animal rights.

I don't see it as just a first world problem either, the effects of the meat industry on the environment and the amount of food waste that goes into producing meat is really quite awful.

I agree with animal rights being an issue, I agree the meat industry should be more humane, but I say "first world problems" because in third world countries they are dealing with AIDS, huge crime issues, war on their door steps, no fresh running water, and in Spain (well not just Spain but as an example due to this article) you've got people harping on about people eating meat when nutritionally it is important to us it, it is natural to us not every meat eater eats badly slaughtered and treated animals, there are much more important problems in the world and I think this is a complete waste of time and they are diverting their energies in the wrong way, animals across the world are dealing with bigger problems than being eaten, it's the meat is murder angle that I think is pointless. It's just an opinion but it just makes me roll my eyes. I admit I am biased because animal rights aren't high up in my own list of priorities, but tbh stunts like this just make me feel more justified, not less.

Im a vegeterian and have been since i was 5 and found out where meat came from. I personally cant eat meat because i see the animal rather than food and the thought of eating a pig ect is something i just could not stomach. However its up to others if they choose to eat meat, my lo eats meat of course if she decides later to be vegeterisn its fine, dh also eats meat. He knows not to eat things with bones or a fish that looks like a fish in front of me as i would be sick. You cant force others to have the same opinion as you. Me and dh have different beliefs in terms of religion but it is never something we would disagree over and its the same with me being vegeterian. I think animal rights is a big issue though and i will be teaching my daughter to respect and be kind to animals.

It's a bit of a pointless protest because it doesn't highlight anything particularly new or shocking. The meat industry is absolutely horrendous though, namely due to supermarket wars and ridiculous demands by stockholders. I was a vegetarian for years and am firmly in the view that meat is a luxury commodity worth a little extra money, not an everyday necessity.

If meat is murder then so is vegetarianism. If we didn't eat cows, there wouldn't be cows and in twenty years we'd be banging on about how they are nearing extinction.

I'm all for appropriate lobbying to ensure the welfare of any animals kept be it domestic or livestock are treated humanely whatever their purpose but I do find that many animal rights activists are very blinkered in their view and focus on the welfare of one species at a time, ignoring how that impacts on another. Save foxes but kill beagles and horses (an calves and lambs and many other animals attacked when too many foxes find their natural food source is gone. Save badgers but ignore the TB they pass on to other animals.

When I lived in the New Forest, a bunch of activists broke into a mink farm and released 6000 mink. This was one of the last mink farms in the UK and was licensed only until the remanding mink died. There was no breeding and strict conditions on how they were kept. As a result, about half the mink died within a week suffering from exposure or starvation. For a good while mink were reported to have attacked pretty much everything from family pets to small children. Farmers lost valuable animals, even the new forest ponies were being attacked. There were three in the block I lived in and one of them killed a cat and over the space of a fortnight three other cats and a dog were very badly injured. Those ones were caught and destroyed by the RSPCA. Mink are a dangerous animal and releasing so many of them in such an area was downright evil. But of course, it didn't matter, because those mink were freeeeeee.

If meat is murder then so is vegetarianism. If we didn't eat cows, there wouldn't be cows and in twenty years we'd be banging on about how they are nearing extinction.

I'm all for appropriate lobbying to ensure the welfare of any animals kept be it domestic or livestock are treated humanely whatever their purpose but I do find that many animal rights activists are very blinkered in their view and focus on the welfare of one species at a time, ignoring how that impacts on another. Save foxes but kill beagles and horses (an calves and lambs and many other animals attacked when too many foxes find their natural food source is gone. Save badgers but ignore the TB they pass on to other animals.

When I lived in the New Forest, a bunch of activists broke into a mink farm and released 6000 mink. This was one of the last mink farms in the UK and was licensed only until the remanding mink died. There was no breeding and strict conditions on how they were kept. As a result, about half the mink died within a week suffering from exposure or starvation. For a good while mink were reported to have attacked pretty much everything from family pets to small children. Farmers lost valuable animals, even the new forest ponies were being attacked. There were three in the block I lived in and one of them killed a cat and over the space of a fortnight three other cats and a dog were very badly injured. Those ones were caught and destroyed by the RSPCA. Mink are a dangerous animal and releasing so many of them in such an area was downright evil. But of course, it didn't matter, because those mink were freeeeeee.

:rofl: on that last part! And THAT is exactly what I mean by overly emotional, reactionary human behaviour based on a colossal ignorance of animal needs or behaviour. Try working at an accredited zoo for a decade and trying to explain the enormous conservation role zoos have played in keeping numerous species from extinction through everything from education to captive breeding (often for wild release) programs to habitat protection. Lots of zoo visitors walk away impressed and inspired to help, but there is that tiny contingent that insists we are inhumane and big meanies for keeping these animals locked up. Because letting the last few tigers or rhinos get slaughtered by poachers is obviously the way to go.
Sigh. :shrug:
I wouldn't care if they didn't feel a pressing need to spread all sorts of campaigns calling for the abolishment of all zoos. They spread so much misinformation and ignorance.

There is many reasons to not eat animals. Its not good for you, animals are treated horribly, and we dont NEED it. Simples.

There is many reasons to not eat animals. Its not good for you, animals are treated horribly, and we dont NEED it. Simples.

The day tofu tastes as good as a medium rare steak is the day I might think about one of those things. Simples :haha:

The stuff about the mink farm is ridiculous, I hate how some animal rights activists give the 'cause' a bad name and it ends up distracting from legitimate arguments, that is no way acceptable to behave in that way.

But I don't really understand the first part of your argument, cows etc. do not or should not exist for the sole purpose of human consumption, if no-one ate them then there would just end up being fewer of them. The anti-fox hunting stuff is also not about killing beagles etc., in fact I think it was around 10,000 beagles a year would die as a result of fox hunting.

I agree with animal rights being an issue, I agree the meat industry should be more humane, but I say "first world problems" because in third world countries they are dealing with AIDS, huge crime issues, war on their door steps, no fresh running water, and in Spain (well not just Spain but as an example due to this article) you've got people harping on about people eating meat when nutritionally it is important to us it, it is natural to us not every meat eater eats badly slaughtered and treated animals, there are much more important problems in the world and I think this is a complete waste of time and they are diverting their energies in the wrong way, animals across the world are dealing with bigger problems than being eaten, it's the meat is murder angle that I think is pointless. It's just an opinion but it just makes me roll my eyes. I admit I am biased because animal rights aren't high up in my own list of priorities, but tbh stunts like this just make me feel more justified, not less.

I do agree with you to a point, and if I wasn't vegetarian it would probably rub me up the wrong way tbh, I guess if they really want to convince people to go vegetarian then there are much more effective ways of doing so. And yes, there are definitely much more 'important' issues throughout the world for which these types of protests would be much more useful.

I was a vegetarian for six years, but not because of animal rights. I certainly do wish to see change in how we raise and slaughter livestock, as I find many facets of our current factory farming systems inhumane. However, my choice to be a vegetarian had more to do with trying to have a lighter eco-footprint. Eventually, as I got older and started to do more travelling, I realized that there were other things that were more important to me than vegetarianism.
As for this particular protest, I think it is designed to shock and get attention, but that it isn't particularly mature or reasonable. Good for them for having passion and convictions, but I am afraid that I don't agree with their arguments or their "meat is murder" statement. I do not feel guilty about eating meat. Nor does a lion or a chimpanzee or spider. I need energy to live and my body has evolved to take energy from both meat and plant sources. Fair game to all those who choose to stick to veg, but please spare the sanctimonious judging of other diets. I could turn around and call them vegetable killers. Plants are living things. Why is it okay to eat them, but not meat?
I find these PETA-like organizations hugely lacking in rational thought and awfully fond of bad science. I appreciate that they have a cause, but I could point them in the direction of several issues that are more pertinent to animal welfare and conservation. :shrug:

Sarah always says things better than i could. I completely agree.

I don't think eating animal meat is murder, but I do think on a whole we modern societies eat far too much meat, which isn't good for our health or animal welfare.

I think they are ways to get your point across but almost every case that is ever highlighted is a case of protesters going too far. I supported green peace for years in my younger days but soon realised that I didn't agree with much if their protesting, they have the right cause but their actions are far too extreme.

The most terrible I see are those of protesters with regards drug testing; threats, murder and assault are common and it's disgraceful and wrong.

The day tofu tastes as good as a medium rare steak is the day I might think about one of those things. Simples :haha:

Why must you eat tofu? I was a vegetarian for over 20 years,...never ate tofu once.

Why must you eat tofu? I was a vegetarian for over 20 years,...never ate tofu once.

Because I was teasing, not writing a serious statement on the pros and cons of meat eating, I'm happy with my choices and diet and happy I get to eat steak! :thumbup:

I don't think it's that simple at all. Neither do I agree with any one of the statements you just made.
There are plenty of cultures that are meat and dairy based and they enjoy excellent health, just as there are plenty of vegetarians who don't look after their health or choose foods wisely and suffer because of it.
Factory farming is pretty grim for animals, but small family farms that practise free ranging and humane slaughter treat their animals very well.
And vegetarianism, improperly practised, has a high correlation with anemia. Nowadays, that can be addressed with supplements, but if you are using supplements, maybe your body isn't getting enough of what it "NEEDS" from the diet?
Vegetarianism, like any other lifestyle choice (including meat-eating), works best when the individual choosing it has a good understanding of nutrition and biology and knows to incorporate that. You get healthy/unhealthy people in either group if nutrition is ignored.
There is nothing wrong with vegetarianism, but making big sweeping statements about it being superior to other diets is not going to be easy to back up.

I buy free range meat and I am happy with my choices about eating it.

Seeing a protest like that doesn't make me think about their cause, it makes me think they are just idiots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->