Announcing

MummyKP

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I really want to announce Easter weekend, which I will be 12+3 from LMP, but possibly 5-7 days less. At the moment I don't know when my 12 week scan will be, whether it be before or after Easter weekend. Anyway, I've got my private scan this weekend (8+2) and weren't planning on another one before my 12 weeks because of the price of these private scans. The main reason for this post is just to see if people have announced after a private scan but before your 12 week routine scan? I guess I'm worried that if my scan is scheduled for after Easter, I can't do the announcement I want to do if we were to wait until 12 week scan, but if I'm happy to risk it I could do my announcement a few days before 12 week scan if all goes well at my private one on Saturday? Sorry for the long post.

It's a personal decision, but I think you'd be fine to announce after your private scan (announcing isn't going to change the outcome of the pregnancy - it's a matter of if you're comfortable/able to handle telling people). I think you guys need to do what will make you happy.

We were going to wait until 12 -14 weeks. I had some issues earlier on, and thought I had a blighted ovum with a scan at 6+1 since there was only a sac with hcg levels of 18,000 +. We went for another scan at 7+4 showing everything was okay.

They considered the 7+4 scan to be our dating scan, so we weren't due for another scan until 20 weeks. We opted to announce at 9+2 since we wouldn't have a scan in the near future to reassure us (and there's no way we were waiting until 20 weeks - it was killing me as it was trying to wait until 12-14 weeks).

We were happy with announcing at 9+2 because it allowed us to announce in the way we wanted at the time (I thought it was my last chance to see my family in person for awhile). Circumstances have since changed, but I wouldn't change it for anything. I ended up having a quick scan at 12+1 to check on the jelly bean since my midwife couldn't get the heartbeat on the doppler (after having told her I was able to on my home doppler), but I didn't get any pics, nor was it expected. We only just recently decided on a private scan at a place that just opened up on the 1st.

I think if announcing after the private scan will make you happy and will allow you to announce in a way you'd be happy with, then go for it! But just be comfortable with your decision :) There's no right or wrong time to announce.

I'm having a private scan on Sunday and will be announcing then if everything is okay.

Totally up to you x

I had an early scan with LO at 8 weeks, due to bad cramping and spotting. After it showed all was okay, I decided to announce at 10 weeks. I was bursting with excitement, and just couldn't hold off until 12 weeks! :haha: x

We told close family at 8 weeks, other family at 9 weeks. I have just started telling close friends at 10 weeks. I'll be just over 13 weeks at my 1st scan, it seems so long to wait! I will announce it properly then but for now happy with those that know. It's such a personal thing, it's entirely up to you. My cousin announced on facebook the day she got her BFP! Last week she had a gorgeous healthy boy xx

Same 'problem' here... My area wont scan until 12+5 minimum which is (sigh, flippin typically!!!) the week after easter. Im 12 weeks on the dot the thursday before good friday (which is when i actually have time off work to go see OH's parents) and wanted to give them a pic as originally planned. However now we have to wait for scan date if we eant to do the official dating pic yadda yadda...

I have booked another private scan for that exact thursday (who needs to bother spending money on buying food that week anyway?! eeek!) so that we have something to give them that looks more 'babylike' and less (and i quote!) "like a krill with a hubba bubba"ha ha!

Not really any help, just feeling your frustration too!

I have booked another private scan for that exact thursday (who needs to bother spending money on buying food that week anyway?! eeek!) so that we have something to give them that looks more 'babylike' and less (and i quote!) "like a krill with a hubba bubba"ha ha!

:rofl:

Best. Description. Ever. :haha:

AJae, we have the same dates :) so I also will be 12 weeks the Thursday before Easter, but if they don't scan me until after that it means I can't do my Easter announcement. We have our private scan this morning, and I don't want to announce it yet even if all is well, but I'm tempted to book another private scan around the 12 week Mark just so I can be certain all is well then do the announcement I want. Glad I'm not the only one in this situation!

Chances are if everything is ok at your 8 week and you don't suffer any issues between 8 weeks and Easter then you will be fine at your 12week scan so if you want to announce just go for it. It's totally personal choice but the risk if mc after your see a heart beat is low, and a missed mc after a heart beat would be even lower so on a risk basis is say you're fine to announce if that's what you want to do!

Same as pink bow here. Private scan tomorrow. By my dates I'll be 9+1. We were going to hold off til the nhs one at 12+3 but got a half price deal on the private one.

Telling or not will not change the outcome in the slightest. We just wanted reassurance before telling x

Can someone explain all these different scans you're talking about? I feel like my dr didn't explain it this way. I have my dating scan next week which is probably six weeksish...

Can someone explain all these different scans you're talking about? I feel like my dr didn't explain it this way. I have my dating scan next week which is probably six weeksish...

I think it depends on where you live etc as to what's offered.

Here, the NHS offer one at 12 weeks, mine will be 12+3 by my dates, which is the dating scan and if you want the NT(nuchal translucency) test they do that then - this is a screening test for estimating the chance of baby having Downs syndrome. This can only be done within a few weeks (11-14 I think) so those who have an earlier scan as a dating scan would have to get another in the right time for NT if wanting it.

Hope that makes sense x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->