Another potty training thread!

MummyKP

Reaction score
I'm sure there's been loads of these threads but it's easier to start one so I can put down my LG's development and then hopefully get advice. She is 2 years 4 months, and quite advanced for her age, very switched on, good language, independent, etc. We have recently moved house and she's taken it all in her stride, not phased by it at all. Before we moved she started showing signs of being ready to be potty trained, however I held off because of the move. Still now she is showing signs, and she's happy to wear pants and can definitely control her bladder for so long. The few times she has been in pants in the house, she's done a small wee whilst playing but stops it when she realises she isn't in a nappy. She has done a couple of wee's on the potty/toilet and one poo too. She doesn't tend to ask, if she does she sits on it but doesn't do anything (generally). We are quite a busy family so I know I'm going to have to spend a good few days in the house when we officially start, however I'm still unsure if she is 100%. I always said I'd follow her lead and not push it, however I think if we really spent some time on it, she could get it. How many accidents should I anticipate as being normal for the first few days? I'm wary about time as I'm due my second I'm 8 weeks, so I feel like we should either do it now, or the summer once things have calmed down with the new baby.

We started when my son turned two. Just did it in a very, slow gradual manner so it wasn't stressful at all. First, we just put him in undies during the day and when we were home. (put him into diapers when we went out) We took him to the potty upon waking, before bed, after each meal, and whenever he made signs of needing to go. If he had an accident, we would take him to the potty and gently remind him that is where he should go. Then after a bit, when he began telling us when he had to go, we started going out with him in undies, too.

There weren't that many accidents. Usually just when he napped, until his body/mind learned to wake up when he felt the need.

Since your daughter already is using the potty, I see no reason not to just carry on. It was a bit time consuming at the beginning for us, but then it was done, and we're happy for it.

I say give it a go and it doesn't work out by the time your second is born (also be prepared for a regression regardless), then take a break and try again later. As for anticipating accidents, it's par for the course. They happen... It took Leo about a month of constant accidents before he really started making it to the toilet on his own and then another couple weeks before he was consistently dry. He still has occasional accidents here 2 months later. And it's not so much about the kid being ready as it is about the parent being ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->