Another pumping question - worried about return to work...

smallhelen

Reaction score
I am due to return to work in two months, and am trying to think ahead a bit. I will be going back three days a week, and my LO will be 4 and 1/2 months old. I want to keep him on breast milk for as long as possible, and so am beginning to express my milk now so he can get used to feeding from the bottle (also useful for the odd occasion when I am not at home for his feed).
The problem is that during my last three pumping sessions, I have only managed to get 2 oz at each time (from both sides added together). The few times LO has had a bottle, he has drunk about double that amount for one feed. So I'm worried about how I am going to manage to provide enough bottles for him for a day at childcare (probably 3 or 4 bottles needed, I would guess). I am going to start freezing milk soon to help things out.
If I keep trying to express twice a day, will my supply improve, or is it stuck at 2 oz?
Thanks for any helpful advice! :)

I am due to return to work in two months, and am trying to think ahead a bit. I will be going back three days a week, and my LO will be 4 and 1/2 months old. I want to keep him on breast milk for as long as possible, and so am beginning to express my milk now so he can get used to feeding from the bottle (also useful for the odd occasion when I am not at home for his feed).
The problem is that during my last three pumping sessions, I have only managed to get 2 oz at each time (from both sides added together). The few times LO has had a bottle, he has drunk about double that amount for one feed. So I'm worried about how I am going to manage to provide enough bottles for him for a day at childcare (probably 3 or 4 bottles needed, I would guess). I am going to start freezing milk soon to help things out.
If I keep trying to express twice a day, will my supply improve, or is it stuck at 2 oz?
Thanks for any helpful advice! :)
Mine increased from 2 to about 4-5. The more you pump the more you will get. But I know why you are worried, you don't realise or know how much they take in one feed. Just stock as much as you can and keep pumping at work too. You are legally entitled to.

I just learned a technique to get more at each pumping session. Maybe everyone else already knew this, but here it is: turn the pump up to the strongest suction you can tolerate. Start it on a super fast speed until milk starts to flow, then turn it to the slowest speed. When you notice the milk stops flowing, turn it back up really fast until it flows again, then back down. Repeat for at least 20 minutes or until the milk has completely stopped. This simulates the natural letdowns that occur with nursing. I pumped 5 oz from one breast in about 15 minutes this morning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->