Antagonist IVF Cycle#1 Cancelled

VRTTC

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

This is so devastating!! After a year of trying on our own and even with Clomid, DH and I went ahead with our first IVF cycle with antagonist protocol. I was on BCP (ortho novum) for a month since had to go for a polyp removal surgery before they could start the cycle.

Baseline antral count was only 6 but after 9 days of stim with Follistim (450 iu) and LDHCG (15 units), there was absolutely no increase in either estrogen levels or follicle size :sad2: In fact last day my E2 levels went down from 20 to 11!! Follicles were less than 10mm. Needless to say, I got the dreaded call asking to stop all the meds as cycle is cancelled.

I was so disappointed and on top of it the doctor or the nurse haven't even called back to setup a follow up appt. I went ahead and booked it myself today after waiting 2-3 days. Even the news of cancellation of cycle wasn't conveyed by my regular nurse. Kind of makes me think they don't want to waste time of poor responders

This was our first IVF and last option for having a baby, now it looks like we may never be able to have our own kid but may have to go or DE or adoption. I don't have any issues with physiology or PCOS but do have hormonal imbalance and very irregular periods. DH has also low morphology but good count and average motility.

I keep reading about Microdose Flare and estrogen priming but I wonder if for people with low reserves, is there any hope?

Anybody had a failed similar cycle and then went on to succeed with subsequent cyles? Could the BCP have suppressed my ovaries?

Really need some hope right now!!

Sorry I cannt help thought I would bump ur thread and give you lots of hugsss sweetie xx

So sorry to hear about your canceled cycle. I am by no means an expert on anything IVF related (just decided to go start IVF next cycle with antagonist protocol) but I did read that in some people bcp can over-suppress the ovaries. Especially if you are on it for more than a couple of weeks. So, hopefully you won't need it before your next cycle and you will respond better to the meds.

Good luck!!

Hatethewait85, I am hoping to convince my RE of doing next cycle without bcp. When she had prescribed, I raised the concern and she said "If anything, it will help regulate your cycle "
Good luck with your cycle. Apparently, antagonist is a good protocol for low responders but I have learnt first hand that is not always true :)

hi so sorry your cycle was canceled :( I did the microdose lupron flare for my last full ivf cycle and I responded very well and had the most follicles/eggs/embryos than the previous two. Its usually for poor responders and a last resort protocol per my re but I am neither of the cases we just needed to change things to see if I would have a better outcome. I did and if I did another full cycle I would request this cycle again!

Hatethewait85, I am hoping to convince my RE of doing next cycle without bcp. When she had prescribed, I raised the concern and she said "If anything, it will help regulate your cycle "
Good luck with your cycle. Apparently, antagonist is a good protocol for low responders but I have learnt first hand that is not always true :)

I hope you will be able to convince your RE to hold off on the bcp! I guess you could always not take them if you can't, but that would make me nervous! When do you meat with your RE next? Good luck!

My fs did say it was good for low responders, however, she said it is also good for people she thinks will respond TOO well (like me - I did my last IUI with letrozole plus follistim and had 5 good follicles (>19) and 6 smaller ones growing a bit slower). I'm planning to do some research on that but it is hard to find reputable information on IVF... do you have any resources you've used that you'd recommend?

MoBaby: Thanks for sharing your success story with Micro flare, I hope it works for us. Like you said, it is kind of last resort and I really don't want to go the DE way. Congrats on reaching the second trimester :)

Hatethewait85: I am meeting on Monday. Today the nurse finally called to ask "how was I doing?" and she also indicated Micro flare, so let's see. Unfortunately, due to forum rules, I can't post links. But if you google out IVF protocols, you will come across Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago site. There they have some basic info.
Fingers crossed and tons of baby dust for both of us!!

I've heard good things about micro flare protocol. Good luck figuring things out on Monday! Please keep us (me) updated - I'm always curious to hear about how things are changed based on results.

Thanks for sending me to the advanced fertility center site. It was helpful. I've been reading that the antagonist protocol is less successful than the long lupron protocol. Did you hear that too or talk to your doc about it? Just curious if you know anything about that. I have a f/u with my doc in about 2 weeks to finalize our game plan and will plan to discuss it then as well.

You might also find this forum interesting/helpful: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/assisted-conception/491023-list-your-ivf-successes-here-32.html

Sending lots of baby dust your way!! :dust:

Hatethewait85: I will know about the next plan of action only next week after my f/up with my RE. Interesting that you have read about antagonist being less successful since I read that the Long Lupron tends to over suppress during the down regulation. I guess it is a bit of trial and error as we cannot predict how our bodies will respond and that creates all the frustration. If you have low reserves then either antagonist or Micro dose would be suitable as per all the online articles. I have read stories of women who had initial long Lupron cycle and then had to go for antagonist and it worked. I will be more than happy to share with you my next update :)

Getting support from all of you makes me feel a little more encouraged and hopeful now :)

Hi all,

Some more updates. So, I had my follow up consult with my RE. I told her about my concerns about using BCP and she was pretty flexible if we want to repeat the antagonist. Then I asked her about the micro flare with low dose Lupron and she said it is best to go with bcp for that. She also said, she will only keep me on bcp for 10 days.

So now I am totally confused !! We have two options: 1. Repeat antagonist without bcp 2. Go with different protocol with minimal bcp and hope it works

I did read on one site that if BCP is to be used, it should be overlapped with an agonist like Lupron, otherwise chances for suppression are high. So in that case the BCP + Micro flare makes sense.

Another thing I observed is that my CM disappeared after the bcp and hasn't come back yet. I always used to have lots of CM (sorry, TMI) but now nothing and it is almost a month since I took last bcp. So I think my body may not have still recovered from the effects of first cycle?

Maybe I should take a break of couple of months and let my body recover before jumping into a second cycle? What do you girls think?

Sorry for the rambling but right now I am completely confused....

The 1st Month after both my failed cycles everything was strange very delayed ovulation no cm ! Etc .

But I have always started my 2nd round on my next period and they have worked cxx

The 1st Month after both my failed cycles everything was strange very delayed ovulation no cm ! Etc .

But I have always started my 2nd round on my next period and they have worked cxx

So, did you wait for a month to get things back to normal and then go for the second round? Unfortunately, I don't have regular periods so I am not even sure if I'll get them this time around. But my RE said to call if I don't get period so they can induce. I am also thinking of waiting for at least a month to go back. Glad to know it worked for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->