Antelope Valley/Southern California

May2011Mommy

Reaction score
Looking to find new moms in the AV. I know a lot of pregnant women (mostly in my family) but am looking for new friends that can give new perspectives!

Tehachapi is a beautiful area. I actually wasn't aware that there were gangs there in Tehachapi...but then again, where isn't there a gang?

As far as the Antelope Valley goes it's a pretty good place. But you can find trouble any place you go to. I would say that if you are thinking about moving to Lancaster or Palmdale I would stay away from the older parts of town.

I was born, raised, and still live in the Antelope Valley. :) I love it. I like the hot weather, the dirt, and the wind. Some of those things you will have to learn to love but it really isn't bad. Though we are close to Los Angeles, you wouldn't know it. It's like a small community here.

I know some friends from my high school that are now married and live on base. Maybe you will meet them. :)

You know, I don't know why Lancaster/Palmdale has such a bad rap about gangs. Like I said, I grew up here and went to public schools and maybe met 1 person that was in a gang. A lot of people who are from the other side of the hill (if you look at a map, there's large mountains that divide the OC and LA area from up here) think that Lancaster/Palmdale is a horrible area. I think maybe 20-30 years ago it might have been because that's when the housing was the cheapest and so a lot of families moved up here. But now, it's like anywhere else. Like I said before, you can find trouble when you are looking for it.

Haha, I feel like I am defending the AV.

Wherever you choose to live your entertainment options will be slim. You will have to commute to LA, the OC, or Bakersfield....or take up the local entertainment here in Lancaster or Palmdale. In Lancaster, there is a movie theater (that now has an IMAX screen), restaurants, 2 bowling alley's, a lot of different parks, and the fairgrounds (the fair is in August). In Palmdale, there is a movie theater, the mall, restaurants, bowling alley's, water-park, and regular parks. In the outskirts of town, there's a lot of trails for hiking and dirt bike riding. :) That's always fun.

If you are interested in the business side of things of the AV, here is a link to a website that I look at once in awhile. https://aveconomy.org/ And I recommend taking a look at the city websites too so you can get a better feel for the AV. Just so you know, I think that only Palmdale/Lancaster is considered a city. Tehachapi is considered a "town".

Let me know if you have any other questions or anything. Love to share!

Well I say the same thing, do not consider Cal City. And I would agree to stay on the west side. :) If you look on a map, anything west of 10th St. West is considered a "good area".

My dh is from AV, graduated from Bethel high and his dad currently is a teacher at Palmdale high. We lived there for a while and I worked at AV hospital.....loved working there.....but things have changed. They have a womens infants pavilion now....I'm sure it's pretty decent. As for where to live.....stay on the west side.

Thanks girls! :)
I had to look up what an woman and infant pavilion was. Never heard of that! Sounds really good, but for our next baby we hopefully plan on scheduling a csection (my first was an emergency csection) plan on giving birth in Santa barbara where DH was born. :) but if we can't the pavilion sounds really good!
:flower:

Thanks girls! :)
I had to look up what an woman and infant pavilion was. Never heard of that! Sounds really good, but for our next baby we hopefully plan on scheduling a csection (my first was an emergency csection) plan on giving birth in Santa barbara where DH was born. :) but if we can't the pavilion sounds really good!
:flower:
Traveling to Santa Barbara every week for appointments is kind of far....especially with these gas prices. Also, some insurances will not allow you to deliver in a different county so be sure to check (I see that you're dh is military so I am assuming you have Tricare. When I had my daughter they woudn't let me go to a differnt county but that was 9 years ago)
. Pavillion just means different part of the hospital....its a building that was built just for women and childrens services....built about 4-5 years ago. Housing in the Lancaster/Palmdale area is REALLY cheap right now....you can get a nice big house for a decent price (well, considering it is in California).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->