Antenatal depression

ssjad

Reaction score
Anyone have or had it? How can you tell the difference between depression and normal pregnancy fatigue and irritability?
And did you take meds for it? Did it persist post pregnancy?

For me, the difference between normal pregnancy fatigue/irritability and depression is a persistent lack of enjoyment in things that I normally would enjoy. I haven't experienced racing or unwanted thoughts, which plagued me when I had a bout of depression a few years ago that required medication.

Fortunately, these periods have been mild and short lived (a day or two). But it was enough for me to notice. So I make sure to get plenty of rest, do things that I enjoy and appreciate them while I can (realizing my priorities are going to change soon) and let/ask for help when I'm feeling overwhelmed.

A conscious appreciation for the miracle growing inside of me and the wondrous process of growing a baby even though it's greatly changed my appearance also help.

Thank you. So, it was mild? And unmedicated?

My depression a few years ago was moderate and required over a year of medication and talk therapy. I have an extensive family history of depression, so I am always on the look out for symptoms.

The lack of enjoyment I've felt on and off throughout my pregnancy has been mild and unmediated. I treat myself to something fun, exercise and focus on the good aspects of pregnancy. This usually helps clear my brain after a day or two.

This weekend was a little less fun because I'm feeling huge, antsy, tired and anxious. The hormone mix and emotional extremes of pregnancy are hard to deal with at the best of times. It's normal to get down now and again.

There are some women on the various Baby and Bump boards who have had to go back to their depression or anti-anxiety meds. There's no shame in that. There's only so much you can do to improve brain chemistry. The object is to have the healthiest pregnancy for both mom and baby.

i have had depresion for 6+yrs, was on meds for while early on but stopped then 3yrs ago when preg wi son they put me on antidepressants at 20wks been on sine was on throught second preg an was on it this preg til 10wks preg i had bad ms so stopped an there happy so far for me be off it. I think my gp did a questionaire thing. Its common hun so dnt worry.

i have had depresion for 6+yrs, was on meds for while early on but stopped then 3yrs ago when preg wi son they put me on antidepressants at 20wks been on sine was on throught second preg an was on it this preg til 10wks preg i had bad ms so stopped an there happy so far for me be off it nw 24+3wks. I think my gp did a questionaire thing. Its common hun so dnt worry.

I had this with my son, and I think it's developing again. Never had medication. Wasn't offered any help before. Going to speak to my midwife about it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->