Anti malaria tablets - urgent help

jessica716

Mummy to a rainbow baby
Reaction score
I go away next Monday to dominican republic,

I'm meant to take anti malaria tablets but iv been reading up on the studies online for the so called pregnancy safe one you can Have in first trimester and there's a mortality rate of about 40%.

Has anyone ever taken anti malaria meds while pregnant
As I'm seriously debating not taking them after reading up on them
So stressed

Is is plaquenil ? I'm on plaquenil because of my lupus. My high risk OB and rheumatologist both agreed that it is safe for me to continue taking it throughout my pregnancy...

There's that one and one that begins with a c.. Chloronique.

It's the Chloronique one that has the bad studies but Thats the one been.told to take

Plaquenil is hydroxychloroquine. It has been used for decades to treat rheumatic disease in pregnant women. I've been taking 150mg daily for over 2 years. All my doctors agree that it is very safe for the baby...

I am sorry hun, but do you really have to go? Coming from South Africa our general rule is to avoid malaria countries as it can be fatal to both mom and baby should you get malaria. Malaria Tablets sadly doesn't prevent malaria. I know because my husband works in those countries and most of his colleagues got malaria regardless of using the best medicine. I don't want to scare you, but there is no nice way of saying this. Malaria is very dangerous and more so to pregnant women since our immune systems are weaker.

Sadly a great amount of babies and women die due to this terrible disease every year and yet we can't seem to be able to combat it. Medicine and great health care has been provided so far we can and nets been handed out, but due to poverty and humid conditions it keeps on flaring.

I say this because I am genuinly concerned over you and baby. <3

That makes me feel miles better. Been so stressed about it!

It's too late to change the holiday and it's been booked for so long as it's my oh's birthday whilst there. The option is that I go and don't take the meds or take them.

Otherwise we are losing 4000 we paid for the holiday

No, we lose the money as it's less than a week until we go.
And I don't really want to lose out on the £4000 we spent.

Just spoken to the doctor and rang up a local pharmacy they've both said it's fine to take in pregnancy.

It's chloroquine phosphate

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->