Anti-Teeth Brushing

clairec81

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Just another wee wondering. Erin has never liked getting her teeth brushed, we're lucky if we get in and around her mouth for a few seconds and its a battle (not sure if its a premmie thing due to her gag reflex or just an Erin thing as her brother is and has always been great!) Anyway she is on a HIGH calorie diet and, as ashamed I am to admit it, gets as many sweets and treats as she'll eat - puddings after lunch and dinner and snacks - weight gain has been our main focus! In the last few days she has shown signs of teething again and simply wont let us near her, this morning I noticed her breath is terrible and tried again to brush but she was hysterical and and was actually bleeding so now i'm stressed she has a mouth infection of some sort caused by the bacteria building up from not brushing enough - any thoughts? :shrug:

Thanks everyone

It is worth taking her along to the dentist to get her used to being there and just to check, but to be honest, we never really started brushing Abby's teeth until about 3 months ago. She just wouldn't let us do it.

We finally managed to get her to let us do it, but she would scream. We took the view that letting her scream for a minute or so was the only way to get it done. After about two days, she was fine with it and now she only kicks off because we won't let her do it herself.

Have you tried giving her the brush to chew on? There are a couple of wee chewy brushes you can get too.

We used to use a finger brush, one that goes on your finger. As Alex has grown up she often runs into the bathroom when she hears the electric toothbrush. We then give her her own and she chewed on it. After letting her get the confidence with the brush she lets me do it now for her while i do mine lol

Great advice as always ladies, will give it all a go! :thumbup:

Its a difficult one as I have some kids who just don't like it one bit! The advice for all kids is that until they are 6 either mum or dad should brush their teeth once a day ideally before bed. Let them do it first, then go in yourself. Try to be really consistent and make it part of the routine whether or not you are successful every night. If you can't get a brush in, try with some toothpaste on your little finger. And also just the tiniest bit of toothpaste is enough. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->