• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Antidepressants and high BP last time - midwife led birth this time?

HopefulPony

Mummy to Porge and Bobbin
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I am currently 7 weeks pregnant with my second and after seeing my midwife for booking in a few days ago, I am starting to think about the birth. I thought that after my last birth (high BP, induced, pre-eclampsia during labour) that I would be automatically high risk and need to birth in hospital, and have been making peace with that. However my midwife has told me that this isn't necessarily the case, they will monitor my BP and if it does not rise again I would be fine to give birth in a midwife led unit or at home. She said the only reason I may need to deliver in hospital is because I am on antidepressants and baby will need to be checked by a pediatrician after birth, so I will need to speak to the consultant at 16 weeks and see what their opinion is.

In my last pregnancy I was also on anti depressants and managed to get agreement from the head of the midwife unit to deliver in there and then have baby checked afterwards, so all was set for a low risk water birth. Sadly that didn't happen because BP rose at 39+5 and I was induced! I think this may have been due to stress on my body as I was in stop-start early labour for 3 weeks before that, plus I had severe SPD and hyperemesis as well as anxiety and I think my body had just had enough. I'm hoping this won't happen again.

I guess my question is, has anyone had a similar experience and gone on to have a natural second birth? Water birth? Anyone birthed at home or in the MLU when on antidepressants? I want some info I can take to the hospital with me for persuasion power!

I can't really help from personal experience but it does sound like you should have a good chance of being MW led if you don't develop PE this time. On a side note, my sympathies on the HG. I had 'mild' HG and it was the most awful thing ever. It does take a lot out of you. Thankfully mine passed by 17 weeks so I had time to build up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->