Antidepressants

Mellage

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
After a few trips to the doctors for various things she has decided that the best course of action is to put me on antidepressents. I can see where she's coming from, I spend most of the time feeling really lowsy and my score has got progressively higher on that chart thingy they do but im just not sure I want to take them.

Does anyone else have any exprerience with them? If it helps ive been prescribed fluoxetine, anyone else used that one?

I'm on Fluoxetine and it's great! lol

I've been on and off it since I was 17 because I suffer from severe depression. I must say, it really works for me but it doesn't work for everyone. There are many different anti depressants and it's trial and error to discover what works for each individual person.

It really depends on the medication you go for, and a lot of times it is just trial and error until you find the right fit. I've been on medication since the sixth grade for SEVERE depression and anxiety (I've been in and out of psych wards, treatment centers, etc since I was 15) and it's really helped, along with behavioral therapy. It can really change your life.

Just remember, it is nothing to be ashamed of. It's a chemical balance that is treated with medication, nothing more. You may not feel that the meds you try help at first, but don't give up! There are SO many out there, it's all about finding one that really helps you.

I take Fluoxetine (Prozac). It's pretty common, and is an SSRI with few side effects compared to other medications (the ones I've been on in the past caused everything from twitches to headaches!). It really helps me (I notice that my mood drastically worsens if I miss a day) but doesn't work for everyone.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me :)

i see wot u mean, i have been on and off anti depressanst since i was 14 i am now 19. they always made me feel so much better in myself and i was alot more motivated and positive each day until last year wen i stopped taking them as i decided i didnt want to rely on tablets to be happy. then i fell pregnant and things went bad to worse. docs wudnt prescribe me anti depressants again cuz of my pregnancy and tbh i still didnt want them anyway and was determined i cud be happy without them. i was admitted to a psyciatric hospital in march wich did no help for me, but in the last few months i have felt so much better for some reason :S im not sure if i will be happy forever, at the minute i am sitting waiting for the day i wake up and just want to fal bak to sleep again and not have to deal with the day ahead, but hoepfully this wont happen :) if i feel like crap after having my baby i will definatly be bak on the tablets again regardless of wether or not i want to take them i willx

I've taken a couple of different types of antidepressants in the past and have found them helpful. Though I've found the best treatment to be a combination of medication, counselling and exercise (as long as it's something you don't hate otherwise you'll resent going). I'm pregnant at the moment and struggling a bit, not sure if that's depression setting in or hormonal changes, but if I hadn't have been pregnant I would have accepted taking antidepressants again as I've had positive experiences with them in the past.

Take care x

I'm on Prozac too and I love it!! :thumbup: I've been on Zoloft, Paxil, Luvox and I find that Prozac works the best for me.

I've tried just about every anti-depressant out there. Zoloft, Remeron, Seroquel, Prozac, Celexa... Prozac has helped the most I think. It's different for everyone though.

I'm on Fluoxetine too.

It took me a long time to admit that I needed help, and when I did, they wouldn't help me as I was BF.

Once I started taking them, the difference was immense. I was a nicer person and felt far more able to cope.

You will be given the lowest dose necessary, and will be monitored, to make sure you are doing ok on them. They are also very different to the anti-d's of days gone by, where they were addictive and people ended up on them for life, now it tends to be for a short period, 6 months or however long it takes to get you through your rough patch.

Remember, it is nothing to be ashamed of, think of it as a helping hand :)

I've taken fluoxetine before I knew I was bipolar and it aggravated my mania, so be careful. But I Agree, it does work for a lot of people, how much will be you taking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->