Antidepressants...

toffee87

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm on my third type of anti-d's. I have tried three SSRI's: Citalopram, Fluoxetine and Sertraline.

None of made much of an impact (even being on a high dose). I have a Dr's app this Thursday and want to discuss trying a new type. To me it seems that I obviously don't just need my serotonin increasing.

Has anyone else had better experiences trying other types (non SSRI's)?

xxx

Hi hun, I've only ever been on SSRI's so I'm not much help I'm afraid. Maybe you need more of a mood stabilizer. Good luck to you!

Hey. :)

I've been on three types of anti-d's too. Citalopram, Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine.. I'm not on anything currently because I stopped taking any medication when I found out I was pregnant. To be honest I've never noticed much difference being on or off them either. I'm seeing my doctor regularly now and when I have the baby we're going to talk about maybe going back on some kind of tabs again but I'm not sure if it's worth it. No advice really but just to say I know how you feel and good luck with everything anyway. :hugs: x

You might do well with Lexapro (it's similar to Citalopram, but it is not the same)Luvox and Paxil are other ones. You might look into some Tricyclic Antidepressants as well but I would be careful because the tricyclic ones tend to have more side effects. I would do some homework and look at ones you might like and then bring a list with you to the doctors because if you need to be on anything long term, it might not be okay to take during pregnancy. From what I have seen most are a category C, but I don't think all are. Usually category C drugs are okay to take during pregnancy, but some are safer than others and your doctor will be able to tell you.

I take Venlafaxine (Effexor) it's still an SSRI but works better for me than the others - probably because it reduces my anxiety as well as working on the depression :shrug: I had very few side effects on it when I started taking it and those few I did have soon disappeared :flower:

It does have a bit of a bad rep when it comes to weaning off, but I've come off it three times before and have never had a problem personally - apart from the depression coming back with a vengeance sooner or later. That's not the fault of the meds though just bad wiring in my brain LOL.

I think it's worth trying other SSRIs to be honest - tri-cyclics are a bit of a nightmare in terms of side effects and avoiding certain foods and other medications... and all SSRIs are different from each other so just because 3 or 4 haven't worked it doesn't mean that none of them are right for you :hugs::hugs:

I take Venlafaxine (Effexor) it's still an SSRI but works better for me than the others - probably because it reduces my anxiety as well as working on the depression :shrug: I had very few side effects on it when I started taking it and those few I did have soon disappeared :flower:

It does have a bit of a bad rep when it comes to weaning off, but I've come off it three times before and have never had a problem personally - apart from the depression coming back with a vengeance sooner or later. That's not the fault of the meds though just bad wiring in my brain LOL.

I think it's worth trying other SSRIs to be honest - tri-cyclics are a bit of a nightmare in terms of side effects and avoiding certain foods and other medications... and all SSRIs are different from each other so just because 3 or 4 haven't worked it doesn't mean that none of them are right for you :hugs::hugs:

I'm on this one too. I think it's an SNRI. It's been really good. I'd previously been on an extremely high dose of Citalopram, which had no effect.

:hugs::hugs:

I will mention effexor, I believe it is an SNRI, so works on more than just serotonin. I've read that it can be much better than SSRI's, it all depends on what chemicals we need increasing.

Thanks for the replies ladies :)

I was on citalopram for 18 months on 60mg (standard dose is 20-40mg's), so it was a high dose. It did help with anxiety, but not with depression.

I'm not planning on getting pregnant any time soon, not for atleast 18 months x

Hope you get sorted. It definayely sounds like they need to try you on a different group of anti d's.
I think there are 3 groups?!

Hope you get sorted. It definayely sounds like they need to try you on a different group of anti d's.
I think there are 3 groups?!

Yep, MAOI's, SSRI's and TCA's.

I went on Thursday, and he has upped my dose again to 150mg's, to see whether these definitely won't work. I'm seeing him in a month, and if they haven't helped, he'll change them x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->