Anxiety in Pregnancy- Ruining Me!!

Breezy

Mommy to one gorgeous boy
Reaction score
I have always had some form of anxiety and it was manageable when I was not pregnant. I was trying to stay unmedicated and use exercise and relaxation techniques to get through.

Ever since conception though my anxiety has been horrible. People ask what I am anxious about and I don't have an answer. EVERYTHING!! I'm anxious about being anxious in general. It is causing panic attacks that are so intense they make me more nauseous.

So, I went to see the dr for my pregnancy confirmation and I told her how bad it has been and how I could barely eat or sleep or function in general. She gave me a drs note for work (expires tomorrow) and she prescribed me Zoloft which I take a half a pill per day for the first week and then a whole pill from there on.. She warned me it would make me feel worse before better but holy crap!! This morning I was worried about going to a wedding this evening and I was HYSTERICAL. Like crazy girl crying, praying, talking to my dead grandparents begging them to help me not be anxious.

My son and husband don't know what to do for me and I am on my last nerve about it all. I am anxious about eating. Anxious about going out..
I DID go to the wedding though and as soon as we got there I was fine!! TOTALLY FINE! That is just ridiculous- no nausea, I had an appetite. Exhausted from what I put myself through every day but ugh!!

Anyone else feel as crazy as me????

I suffer from a generalized anxiety disorder. It stems from my impossible need for perfection. Im going to give you a few exercises that have really helped with my anxiety.

The first one is breathing! I know, it's so simple! What you should do is lie straight on your back or sit straight with good posture, feet flat on the ground. Close your eyes. And breath in for 4 seconds. Hold the breath for 4 seconds, and release it for 4-6 seconds... Whatever is comfortable. While doing this focus on the breathing, don't beat yourself up if your mind wanders, just acknowledge that it happened and refocus on your breathing... Do this for as long as you need to and preferably in a dark and semi quiet place.

Next is writing everything down! Have a fear or concern? Put a note about it in your phone! Keep doing this and then in a moment when you feel relaxed or in control, analyze the list for things that are out of your control and won't ruin your life if they happen, and try to accept that they might be a part of your reality, but it doesn't make you a lesser human being if they are.

Also instead of internalizing your fears, try vocalizing them to someone you trust. By doing this you will be able to acknowledge your fear, and your emotions will start to work through it instead of your brain just obsessing over it. It's natural to be afraid! Let yourself be :)

I hope these help! The key to these is to repeat them!!! If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me!

I also have generalized anxiety disorder which came about in the postpartum period with DD. Like you, I can manage it while not pregnant but something about pregnancy brings it on. I can always feel anxiety attacks coming on when I'm lying in bed and thinking too much. Luckily, I can ward it off. Also, when I was in counselling for this one thing that my therapist told me that continues to comfort me is that 98% of what you worry about doesn't actually happen. I think about that and take deep breaths and I can usually mentally work myself out of it.

Is it possible for you to talk to a counsellor? I found that was the single most effective way to deal with this. Mine was completely out of control for about 8 months after DD before I actually went to talk to someone, and I was in therapy until she was 18 months old for it.

I find sometimes it is as simple as keeping your mind busy.

I really feel for you. My anxiety started a year after my daughter was born, I am worried about it rearing its ugly head when we give her a little brother or sister, as I heard the hormone surge brings anxiety on if you'e prone to it.

I too, become extremely anxious over becoming anxious, I am my own worse enemy!

I find what really helps with me is accepting how I'm feeling. So when I'm feeling anxious I tell myself 'I feel anxious, & that's ok' until I do start feeling myself calm down.

Closing my eyes & breathing slowly in & out as someone else has said helps too.

Really hope you start feeling better.

Another anxiety sufferer here! I find self hypnosis helps me so much. I have loads of recordings that I have downloaded from the kindle store (there are also loads on iTunes) and when I listen to them I feel completely relaxed and peaceful. I also practice relaxation and hypnosis myself. I have been off meds over seven years now but I was almost back on them last year because ny anxiety got so bad.

Another one here. I have awful health anxiety. I am always convinced I have some type of disease that I am going to pass to dd. Right now it's toxo due to eating undercooked pork two weeks ago. :(

I have no advice but it's good you are on a medication. My doctor offered it and I declined. I am going to the doctor in a week and am going to ask him about it. I am 22+1 and haven't enjoyed my pregnancy really at all due to being so panicky all the time. My husband is also going to find me a therapist because I have never been this bad before. I have always had anxiety but this is new and it's really difficult. I barely sleep or eat and can barely function, which isn't easy with an 18 month old to run after.

I hope the medication helps you and you get some relief and get to enjoy your pregnancy. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->