Any anxiety tips?

Fruitmash

Reaction score
I'm really struggling with anxiety again. Before pregnancy I was taking pregabalin, but it's not safe in pregnancy and was told to come off it without anything else being prescribed.
At my 16 week appointment (with a doctor) I asked about being prescribed something that could at least take the edge off, but despite listing the ways it was affecting me, I was told my anxiety wasn't severe enough for medication.
Currently the intrusive thoughts are nearly impossible to deal with and my usual coping mechanisms just aren't helping right now.
I read a story the other day about something horrible happening to a child (I won't say what because it's still making me cry) and when I tried to calm myself with a bubble bath (my best bet for calming myself, even was patchouli!) I preceded to have a panic attack which wouldn't stop until after I had my daughter in my arms so I could see and feel she was safe. Obviously now it's affecting her, and no 4 year old should have that on their shoulders.
The problem is, it's too bad for me to call a doctor right now! Every time I leave my flat, I have a panic attack and I can't use the phone except to my husband. I have SAD but the reverse one, so I know when the weather cools some more I'll be more capable and will have to get something but until then I need some tips. Currently I use:

Harry Potter (lol)
Mindfulness
Self soothing
Logic when applicable
Senses
Bubble baths
Candles
Lush
I've been in therapy for the last couple of years, but it just hasn't done a great deal with my general anxiety, just the social aspects
Fave foods and drinks (there's only so many domino's pizzas you can justify though)
Music

The only thing that's even helping a tiny bit is pain, but as a previous self harmer I REALLY don't want to ever go down that road again.
My husband would go get a prescription for me but I need to do all the talking. If I can't find something else to try then I'll just have to force myself and deal with the fallout after, I can't have DD see me like that ever again. Thank you so much for any tip or trick you might have, I'm getting desperate and scared

Im sorry your going throught that, it sounds horrid :(

I have a load of issues around the baby and pregnancy are healthy but its due to previous loss's so i can pin point stress triggers and avoid things that cause anxiety.

When i feel like im about to start over thinking or my thoughts are going in the wrong direction i pick up a book, usually something with magic or other worlds, random but when im reading about another world im not thinking about what can go wrong in mine!

If my kindle is out of charge i watch a new series of a tv show, atm its the mentalist from season 1! best one so far has been game of thrones, ive rewatched the lot 5 times now lol but it works!

if im out and about and get nervous i pick a random letter/ colour and find as many things as possiable that are connected to it, plus kids love the game! Also singing, think people who live round me think im nuts, me n kids walking down street singing songs from mary poppins but keeps us happy lol

Staying off facebook and news sites is handy to, seeing all the " *random condition* awareness" or just plain "this happened to me, it could happen to you" & "how i survived this bad thing" stories really freak me out at times, so i avoid avoid avoid! I have empathy for others sure, but protecting myself comes first!

If any negetive thoughts seep in i try to catch them before it gets to crazy and instead of forcing them to stop i change there direction, instead of the bad thing that was coming i change it into a normal everyday thing, for excample earlier i lifted the doppler and before i turned it on i started to run through a senerio of what would happen if things went wrong in the next ten minutes, i started to panic and realised what i was doing and changed it up, instead of ending it in a bad way i walked through in my head hearing the heartbeat and feeling baby kick and all the happy furry thoughts i could fit in.

Ive never had a panic attack so i dont know if any of this will help, i just thought id share what i do personally.

I hope your as ok as ccan be while dealing with this, it doesnt sound easy but you do sound strong x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->