Any BF pro's that could offer some advice?

I've got to say that out of all the areas of the forum I've read/posted in, I've found this one the most supportive! It's so nice and encouraging to get so many "you're doing a great job" comments from fellow mums, especially on a topic which inherently comes with stresses and uncertainties like breastfeeding! You ladies have helped so much! As i was so heartbroken it didn't work out with my DD I really wanted to give it a damn good shot again with DS, but I'll be honest and say there has been maybe 2 occasions in the past 18 days I've considered giving up! I knew I'ldregret it and decided to take it day by day but you've all been very supportive!!! :thumbup: Anyways, sorry for the ramble!!...

BigAl, I love that link, thinking of it like a tap is really helpful!! My LB goes 3-4hrs (odd 5hrs some nights) between feeds, would that mean a problem with regards to the fat content he gets? Or the fact he regained a pound in 8 days (following his initial loss) and poos/wees I should just have faith he knows what he's doing right??

MrsHM, I LOVE the bracelet idea!!! I'm still recording times, sides and length of feed etc as I like to see how long he's fed for etc, but keep telling myself I should just relax with it and use a ribbon etc! I'm going to buy a cute BF bracelet as a treat!! :wink:

Mummafrog, don't worry we all know what it's like to have manic visitors, hope you've had a nice weekend?! I've been thinking past couple days about comfort sucking!! He's started feeding for longer past couple days and I've been wondering if it's comfort or just that he needs more to eat! How can I tell?? I'm just leaving him to it for now!

I'm going to a breastfeeding meet up type baby group on Weds locally, to have a chat to LLL peers and other mums BF'ing! Thinking it might help my confidence to have a regular link to some like minded moms!

Hope you've all had good weekends, thanks again for your comments xxx

I had a wonderful weekend thank you and even from having lots of visitors I didn't feel stressed and we kept the house nice so it feels good to know we can handle people staying now etc :)

So glad you feel supported :hugs: I guess mums, no matter what their choices are, are all in the same boat really hehe.

Re your question aimed at me: There are three main feeding stages I have noticed that seem to be pretty universal, the initial frantic sucking when they are first given the breast after worrying they'll never have it again! Then that becomes the long, deeper sucks and swallows which is the 'active feeding', then as they start to get full and sleepy they do the intermittent sucking where they will stop for a bit and then suck again a few times and maybe swallow once, then pause again. I think they are still getting milk at this time and when you can it's good to let them do this as long as they fancy (good for supply as well) but I think they are mostly full when they start doing this OR they need a burp/little wake up cuddle and they will be ready to actively suck again :)
My girl can feed for longer periods now, where it's clear she is filling herself up to the brim, or she has a quick but efficient feed which seems like a drink/top up, or when she gets upset/needs some closeness, she'll go on but she won't actively suck much at all and she might just hold the breast in her mouth and suck occassionally, I think this is comforting and I like it <3

Just to add, I think it's good he is going a good length of time between feeds, that is proof he is being filled up with milk and it is the fatty milk that stays in their tummy's the longest, he would tell you if he needed more. Think about when you only had colostrum and he needed to go on and off all the time, it's because colostrum doesn't have much fat in it at all, but now he is going longer between feeds, it's because he is getting thick milk that keeps him full :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->