any child care workers? opinions needed...

Stake

Reaction score
okay soo I teach toddlers at a daycare and if u work in child care u know toddlers means a lot of bending, sitting on the ground/getting up, lifting, kneeling, etc etc. not to mention chasing them around. well I had planned on working til may 1st, im due the 27th but today when I was leaving work (and even progressively thru the day) my feet were so swollen amd my back hurt so bad (and still does) that I have to limp! ive also had some minor complications with this pregnancy as far as spotting and placenta previa etc...i dont think ill make it all the way to may 1st! if u work in childcare or a similar physically demanding job, how far are u planning on working til?

I forgot to mention that most of the lids have behavior issues which makes it evem harder and I do not have am assistant or help in my class at all

I DO!! Im about 30 weeks and due april 27th and my last day is next thursday. Ive got the same problem as you except my siatic nerve is really bothering me, not to mention my boss but other then that yeah Im def done working now! You should probably stop as well, you dont want to get hurt and especially if your having bleeding

not to mention you could get kicked in the stomach

I do and am planning to work until about 32-34 weeks. I am going to visit my family interstate about this time so won't be coming back to work after our little trip. We just moved interstate so I am only working relief right now which sucks but the timing just wasn't right for us. So I plan to work that far but I guess it all depends on how much work I get. I usually work in the older rooms though so it's easier on me no lifting/bending too much etc. Maybe you could ask to go to a different room or act as a lunch/programming cover closer towards the end?

my sciatic nerve is killing me too!

I do. I plan to work until 4 weeks before my due date. I'm really struggling already and only 19 weeks. I don't know where you live but in the uk you can change the date of your leave if medically you need to

I don't work in childcare, but if you either have the time or can afford to take it unpaid then do it! Enjoy lots of R&R before the baby comes. I wish I could!

I worked running 3 restuarants with my DD and worked til 40 +1, my water broke at 40 +2 but I was scheduled to work that day.

I was lifting 50lb bags of potatoes til the day I gave birth, running around all day, lifting, cleaning, etc. I did fine, I had lots of back problems and lots of swelling, but my doc said it's all normal pregnancy stuff and I didn't need to quit working.

I did cut back at the end. I was working 50 hrs a week until about 37 weeks when I went to 25 hrs a week. I also went to the gym every morning at 4:40am before work, which I had to stop at 37 weeks because I was just too tired!

But it's all up to you, do what you feel you can do. I felt I could carry on so I did. I wanted my whole 6 weeks maternity leave with my baby, so I couldn't stop early.

With my first pregnancy I worked in daycare and like you, had children with special needs and no assistants. I was lucky and got to 34 weeks before leaving. But I didn't have swelling. Hopefully your BP will stay okay. The swelling could just be from being on your feet so much. I do have to say though that working kept my BP good my first pregnancy. The next one I was stay at home mom the entire pregnancy and I gained a lot more and swelled a lot. Just keep an eye on your blood pressure and if there are kids that pose a danger to you physically wise maybe see if you can switch rooms? I was with 3 and 4 year olds so it was a bit easier then working with toddlers. I've worked with toddlers before and they are very exhausting.

I worked running 3 restuarants with my DD and worked til 40 +1, my water broke at 40 +2 but I was scheduled to work that day.

I was lifting 50lb bags of potatoes til the day I gave birth, running around all day, lifting, cleaning, etc. I did fine, I had lots of back problems and lots of swelling, but my doc said it's all normal pregnancy stuff and I didn't need to quit working.

I did cut back at the end. I was working 50 hrs a week until about 37 weeks when I went to 25 hrs a week. I also went to the gym every morning at 4:40am before work, which I had to stop at 37 weeks because I was just too tired!

But it's all up to you, do what you feel you can do. I felt I could carry on so I did. I wanted my whole 6 weeks maternity leave with my baby, so I couldn't stop early.

You were lifting 50lbs?! my doctor wont let me lift anything over 20. but I did have spotting and placenta previa and stuff. I think part of it is that I am only 5ft tall and getting very big which I am not used to. I am feeling very uncomfortable, my sciatic nerve is killing me and all day long i feel irritated there. the kids are so bad that i am on edge all day long and i dont like feeling that way especially being pregnant i jsut feel like i am transferring that to the baby.

My maternity leave will be unpaid no matter what (sucks I didnt know that before I started there). Which is why I was trying to work as long as possible, but yesterday was so horrible that I stayed home sick today and I dont know how many days like that I can do. I would be 36 weeks on May 1st but I dont think I will make it that far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->