any egg donors?

babyv13

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where else to put this so admin please move if there's a better section for it to be in! :)

I'm just starting the process of becoming an egg donor, just waiting to get my AMH test and ovary scan but I already know that my AMH levels are good enough to be eligible (had the test almost 2 years ago) and I've had plenty of ovary scans in the past too so I'm thinking/hoping it's all going to be ok to start soon!

it would be good to chat to anyone who has done it before or who is in the process of doing it :) especially because I have some questions I'd like to ask!

I think you are offering a wonderful gift! Not something I would consider myself to be completely honest but can I ask what made you decide to do this? I guess the main reason I wouldn't is because I would feel like I had children out there even though they wouldn't be mine. How will you deal or do you just not think that way? Would you know if someone had a child with your egg or does it not work that way? Do they make sure your donation goes to someone away from your area so you aren't in danger of meeting them and.possibly recognising them?

Hope you don't mind me asking just really interested. Feel free to ignore if it makes you uncomfortable to reply. Good luck. :) xxx

it took me a couple of years to conceive my daughter and i said (to myself :lol:) that i would donate eggs to help someone else if i was ever lucky enough to have a baby. i don't think i'll feel weird about having my egg out there being a person, i see the woman who grew them as the mum and not me. i do have some worries about it though that i was hoping to talk about with someone who has already done it! :) i'm worried about what to tell my LO and worried about what she'll think about it when she's older. also worried about recognising an egg one day as well, or thinking i recognise him/her :wacko: i'm pretty sure these are normal thoughts though and the fertility clinic offer counselling so i'm going to take them up on the offer and discuss it with someone :) i can phone a year after and find out if any babies were born from my eggs and they can get my details when they're 18.

i've been cleared by the consultant now and have my ovarian assessment next week. s**tting it to be honest :haha: but i know if i don't do it i will always regret it. when i look at my LO and think how lucky i am i think about all of the women who are dying to experience motherhood and want to help someone feel what i feel for my LO for their own.

I looked into doing this in university, but primarily for financial reasons - once I saw the money wasn't very good, I wrote it off. Also, because it seemed to involve procedures that I knew wouldn't be very comfortable (which made the small payment not worth it for me.) I also felt the same as the pp; not sure how I'd be able to cope with the knowledge that there are biological children of mine out there who will never meet me.

However, I think you're doing a selfless and fantastic thing. I obviously have no advice but just wanted to say that. :flower:

thank you daneuse :) are you in canada? how much money do you get for egg donation? I think in the US you can get crazy money but not sure it canada is the same! or even if that's still the case in the US.

the uncomfortable procedures definitely don't sound too nice to me either! I was actually on the waiting list for ICSI when I conceived my LO though and I was happy to go ahead with the procedures for myself and I managed to avoid it (thankfully!) so I'm just doing what I would have been anyway but for someone else, as a thank you to the universe! :lol:

I've had my ovarian assessment, screening bloods and consultation now, I'm just waiting for the bloods to come back (it'll take 6 weeks because some of it is genetic screening) and then I'll have my consents appointment :) I'm going to be on the antagonist protocol with buserelin trigger and I'll be taking metformin 2 weeks before and throughout because I'm at a very high risk of OHSS ( I've got PCOS - AMH of 67!!!).

I'd still really love to chat to someone who has gone through it, if there is anyone out there! :)

thanks mummy may, I just emailed the private fertility clinic near me and they told me to phone and do a questionnaire over the phone - everything gets moving really quickly from there! :) are you considering it?

Not at the moment but its something I may consider in the future - I don't think I could be a surrogate but this is a fantastic way to help someone else have a baby. Xx

thank you daneuse :) are you in canada? how much money do you get for egg donation? I think in the US you can get crazy money but not sure it canada is the same! or even if that's still the case in the US.

the uncomfortable procedures definitely don't sound too nice to me either! I was actually on the waiting list for ICSI when I conceived my LO though and I was happy to go ahead with the procedures for myself and I managed to avoid it (thankfully!) so I'm just doing what I would have been anyway but for someone else, as a thank you to the universe! :lol:

I've had my ovarian assessment, screening bloods and consultation now, I'm just waiting for the bloods to come back (it'll take 6 weeks because some of it is genetic screening) and then I'll have my consents appointment :) I'm going to be on the antagonist protocol with buserelin trigger and I'll be taking metformin 2 weeks before and throughout because I'm at a very high risk of OHSS ( I've got PCOS - AMH of 67!!!).

I'd still really love to chat to someone who has gone through it, if there is anyone out there! :)

Yes, I'm in Canada. At the time I was looking into it, I remember the pay rate being about $3,000. What do they normally pay in the US?

Still think you're doing a great thing :thumbup:

I am in the US and have done it once and I'm hoping to get the ball rolling to do it a second time. I'm always more than happy to talk to anyone about it. You might want to pm me just in case I don't mKe it back into this thread very timely.

Oh, and the current pay rate at our clinic is $5000

I've looked a lot into it since your first post and it is definitely something I want to do once I've finished having children. There is a clinic in Manchester that pays £750 a time xx

yay wishn2bmom, I'll PM you later once I've got my LO to bed! :)

mummylove, I don't know if all clinics are the same but mine pays £750 for expenses. why wouldn't you be allowed to do it?

mummy may, that's great that you've been thinking about it! :) I was going to wait until I was finished having children too but it's not easy for me to get time off work for the many appointments so I wanted to do it while on maternity leave! depending on how this cycle goes and how many, if any, babies are born I'll do it again either next summer or next time I'm off on maternity leave! maybe by then we'll be donor buddies :D

Yeah! I have a friend who is a midwife and her friend does it too, so if we need to know something I can contact her for details :) xx

yay wishn2bmom, I'll PM you later once I've got my LO to bed! :)

mummylove, I don't know if all clinics are the same but mine pays £750 for expenses. why wouldn't you be allowed to do it?

mummy may, that's great that you've been thinking about it! :) I was going to wait until I was finished having children too but it's not easy for me to get time off work for the many appointments so I wanted to do it while on maternity leave! depending on how this cycle goes and how many, if any, babies are born I'll do it again either next summer or next time I'm off on maternity leave! maybe by then we'll be donor buddies :D

i wont be able to do it cus ive got a disability :(

Hello ladies. Just wondering if anyone knew about autism? My son has autism but its not seen as genetic is it? Cause autism is so vast these days it can happen randomly. Would this matter?

they didn't ask me if there was any history of autism in my family so I assume it doesn't matter! they only asked about diabetes, heart problems, cancer, genetic conditions, etc.

thanks lhancock! :)

mummylove, I think it would depend on whether it was genetic or not? not sure though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->