Any first tri ladies work nights?

annio84

Grace's mummy
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm a nurse so nights are a part of my working life. I just started nights on friday and I feel like i'm going to die. My practically non-existant morning sickness has become constant severe nausea, I feel dizzy, not sleeping well.

So just wondering how any of you manage?

I did nights when I was pregnant with DD and I felt much worse when I did but I got through it because it was just me to worry about. Now I have a three year old at home who wants to play all the time she sees me because she misses me when I work nights.

I do a mixture of Days and Nights and am really struggling with the Nights. I actually had an appointment with Occupational Health today who have recommended to my Manager that I don't work Nights until my symptoms have improved.
Not sure how soon that will be put into effect (probably not any time soon knowing my management..!), but it's an option for you if you're really struggling with them :)

To be fair my manager has been really good and said she won't put me on any more but I have to finish the ones I'm doing. I just finished 4 in a row last night. so only friday and sunday to do but I feel awful.

Hope your manager sorts it out soon.

I work evenings which often last long into the night.. It's so tough, especially since I'm one that goes to bed as soon as I get home to keep as normal of a schedule as possible. If I had it my way I'd be in bed at 8. It was easier to get naps in my first pregnancy. No advice, just some empathy!

I work long evenings, im really struggling. Im sure the hours I work make my symptoms worse as I find I feel marginally less rubbish on my days off. Ive found eating a decent meal before I set off (something slow release like pasta) and stopping often for water and biscuit helps. I also keep some boiled sweets in my pocket for if I have a sudden wave of nausea. I have DS5 and DS2 and am around 12 weeks now. Hoping symptoms start easing soon. Its really tough!xx

I do a rotation of 2 weeks of nights every 6 weeks. I was 7 weeks last time round and felt really tired and nauseous to the point where I had to lie down in the staff room and ended up only doing one week before going back onto days. I start my rotation next week for 2 weeks and tbh I'm dreading it: DS hates me doing nights and I'm permanently exhausted just doing day shift! I'll just need to rest a lot, drink plenty and hope for the best. Its generally not a hard shift as we're between admissions just now so the unit is fairly quiet.

One of my friends is pregnant and actually requested to do permanent nights for her pregnancy as it's easier on her body (she has severe SPD). Another friend isnt doing them at all following an OH referral for severe sickness that was made worse by nights.

I guess all you can do is make your manager aware of how you feel and maybe request less nights? As my colleagues all do it I don't like to say no coz it means the other nurses all need to rotate more often but I'm not too badly affected in the grand scheme of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->