Any Giant Breed Dog owners out there with small children or expecting babies?

naitken

Reaction score
Hi there. We have a Great Dane and an English Mastiff as pets in our home. Our Dane is quite small at 98 pounds, but our Mastiff tips the scales at 220 pounds. We are unsure of what to expect when we bring our LO home. Do any of you ladies have giant breeds at home or know anyone who does? Do you have any advice for someone like me?

Our plan was to do what most everyone else does with their dogs...
When LO is born, DH will bring those things the baby touched home with him to adjust them to his smell. I have already been letting them sift their noses through the baby things as I bring them into the house (but they aren't allowed in the nursery at all - they know this already!).

What else am I missing. Is there a better protocol to follow for Monster dogs like we have?:shrug:

That sounds fine. When you bring baby home let them have a sniff, try not to make a big deal about it and treat them as you usually would. They might freak out when the baby cries but they'll get used to it x

I have a mastiff who is over 200lbs and she's brilliant with Thomas. Never had a problem with her :) I've never had to put his stuff away. The only thing she was scared of at first was his pram :rofl:

This is Luna, she's an English Mastiff/DDB.

https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/305111_2598228880175_1388356992_2991181_1681374656_n.jpg

Our dogs are not as big as yours we have a pedigree labrador and a lab cross with a rottweiler and they are brilliant with LO, there his best friends. They all adore each other and he would rather play with the dogs than any of his toys. When we took LO home we let him have a quick sniff and didnt make a big deal about it and we have never had any problems

My staffy and GSD have always been fine with my two. They had a sniff of Tommy when he came home from hospital and then just accepted him as if he'd always been here! They were a bit more interested when Daisy was born as they'd never seen a baby before, but were fine. My chihuahua is not as trustworthy as the other two and I am worried that she would growl or snap at them if they got too close. She generally keeps away from them. As she ignores Daisy, Daisy pretty much ignores her too. I am obviously very careful to never leave them alone with her, even for a second, and they are closely supervised when she is around. She has got much better with Daisy as Daisy has got older, but I'd never be happy to completely trust her around them.

Hi, we have a Deerhound and he is fab with LO.... we just have to remember that he forgets how long he is and sometimes knocks LO over with his bum lol!!

I have a leonburger and he is absolutely fantastic with children. (Although I dont have any of my own) He gets a little excited but mostly tries to look after the kids... :)

When standing up on his hind legs hes taller then 6ft. :/

Attachments

• IMG_5021.jpg
    IMG_5021.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2
Wow. Thanks for all of the advice. One of my main concerns is that our Mastiff will by too pushy, but maybe he will surprise us!

I've got 2 boxers so not as big as your dogs but I think you have the right ideas. Our dogs are great, one really isn't that interested and the other is quite protective. Tonight we've been trying to desensitise them to LO's toys that he got for Christmas. Both dogs are crazy over squeaky toys so it's hard going. Good luck.

Ps hubby was brought up with mastiff and st Bernard and they never had any issues. Lx

We have an old English Mastiff and an American Bulldog. I would never leave kids near or alone with Bulldog alone as he is sooooo boisterous but he is an outdoor dog. He is not nasty just really hyper LOL
The mastiff is as sft as you can get. Very protective, lazy loving etc. It took her a while to get used to the kids but takes alot from them LOL just make her feel welcome etc. We used to send the dog out the room etc before the kids came and got her used to being in certain rooms or not on the sofa etc. We also took the blanket home when Caine was born and put it with her etc the first night x

Alfie can be a bit too pushy sometimes, knocking LO over when trying to get past or when giving him a kiss!

We have a bull mastiff, lab, rottie cross. He's pretty big, and solid. He is also a great big softie. The kids literally clamber over him, sometimes even sit on him, and he just waits till they're done then wanders off. The biggest problem we have with him is his tail - he knocks Ollie over with it!
When Freya was tiny he used to come and get me when she cried. So cute!

Sounds like you have the right plan to me. :thumbup:

I've got a greyhound - so tall, but slender... who made a child cry the other day (granted mummy had been thoroughly warned she was liable to be licked to within an inch of her life and chose to push the child onto houndy regardless) and she got one lick on the arm and ran away sulking! - I'm not undly concerned though - both of mine are incredibly gentle creatures who let kids hug them for ages and ages (and huge long greyhound necks are perfect for cuddling) - under supervision of course and setting expectations from the start that children aren't allowed to terrorize the living daylights out of the dogs, don't disturb them when you're on their beds sleeping, use them as a climbing frame etc etc (how many dog attack stories do you read where you get the "oh he used to let the kids climb all over him" and the like?). As long as both sides are supervised when with the other side - think at least one of mine is the perfect childhood companion, furry, scruffy and the ability to pretend he's listening to all your woes for hours (I know in reality he's just thinking "squirrel, squirrel, bunny, food, food" but he puts up a cracking front to it!)

Heck the mum of the kid who got licked was sat there ten minutes before bragging how her child's allowed to drag her cat all over the house by the tail and terrorize her - THAT'S when you've got a recipe for disaster looming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->