Any ideas? (sleep)

Bec L

Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy
Reaction score
Hi
Just after some advice if possible.
Poppy has never been a great sleeper and has only gone 7 hours twice, after her jabs. She kind of got into the habit of going at least 4 to 5 hours most nights though, so would wake twice which was manageable.

In the last couple of weeks though, she has gone back to waking every 2 to 3 hours EVERY night and I have no idea why. I don't think she is teething, but I do put Bonjela on her gums, just in case. Just wondered if anyone has any advice/experience of this at all, and knows of any ways in which I can get her to go longer (million dollar question I know!)

I have tried to up her feeds in the day but that makes no difference :dohh:

I think it pretty much trial and error! If it is teething then see if you can get your hands on Ashton and Parsons granules. They work really well with Max and are homeopathic too.

Is she hungry when she wakes? If not, could you try leaving her and see if she dozes back off? At the moment Max seems to be waking every couple of hours at night (could it be a 5 month thing?!!) - I think it's like a sixth sense I wake up and then he begins to babble away. I just leave him as he isnt crying and he eventually pops back off to
sleep...

Thanks Jax. I have those granules but haven't used them yet as she really doesn't seem to be showing any major signs of teething yet.

If I leave her to make a noise instead of getting her up she just works her way into a cry and then wants to be fed. Maybe I give in to her too easily :blush:

have you tryed a little bit of baby rice before bedtime? just 2 fill her for a while..! x

Hannah went through a period around 5 months or so where she woke up all the time, and talked and talked and talked. Honestly we ended up moving out into the living room (one bedroom apartment) and let her talk it out. We only go in there if she really starts to cry. It's take a while but she's gotten so much better. Last night she went from 10 until 6:30 without us having to go in :happydance:

Do you think it could be that she could just be hungry as she is getting bigger now and coming up to the six month milestone?

Have you thought about weaning her yet? Might help her to settle a bit more.

Good luck to you and Pops. xx

Do you think it could be that she could just be hungry as she is getting bigger now and coming up to the six month milestone?

Yeah I think that is our next move. My h/v told me to try and wait till she is at least 24 weeks and that's next week so I think this weekend (when my husband is about) we might start. I have been told that it doesn't always do much to improve their sleep though, but it is worth a try.
xx

Yeah I think that is our next move. My h/v told me to try and wait till she is at least 24 weeks and that's next week so I think this weekend (when my husband is about) we might start. I have been told that it doesn't always do much to improve their sleep though, but it is worth a try.
xx

Well, good luck if you do decide to. You're right, it doesn't always mean better sleep but it can't hurt to try!

xx

My first guess was that she is ready to be weaned. Normally weaning doesn't work for babies who have never been good sleepers, but if she was sleeping around 5 hours, and isn't anymore that probably means her milk isn't keeping her satisfied anymore. IMO, I would wean her.
Good luck x

Your baby should start sleeping through the night at about 3 months. But babies are learning and observing all the time, and your baby could soon start to associate sleep time with time that mommy isn’t there. It’s called separation anxiety and it’s a normal part of development for many babies. But it can be especially trying for parents, as babies can be particularly strong-willed, especially about bedtime!

You may be introducing some baby foods at this time, and this can help your baby feel sleepy. Remember to introduce new patterns gently and slowly. If the baby isn’t going to sleep or keeps waking up and crying for you, then she needs to learn to self-comfort, but not all at once. Ease her into the habit of sleeping alone.

Don’t change your rituals at bedtime. You can still start out with a warm bath and feeding. Rocking and snuggling, singing or reading – these are all bonding times for mother and baby. If the baby doesn’t fall asleep right away, try putting her in her crib with the rocker or glider right next to the crib, singing or reading to her. You can stand at the crib and rub or pat her back.

In a week or two, move the chair a short distance away from the crib, so the baby can see you. You can talk or read or sing. If she cries for more than 10 or 15 minutes, then get up and comfort her, but put her back down in the crib and go back to your chair.

In another week or two, move the farther away, towards the door. Even these minor changes could be hard for your baby, but be patient. This is a time when you can fold her laundry and put it away, talking to her, so she’s aware of your presence, but your attention isn’t focused entirely on her. This way she can get used to the idea of separation gradually.

Your baby should start sleeping through the night at about 3 months. But babies are learning and observing all the time, and your baby could soon start to associate sleep time with time that mommy isn’t there. It’s called separation anxiety and it’s a normal part of development for many babies. But it can be especially trying for parents, as babies can be particularly strong-willed, especially about bedtime!

You may be introducing some baby foods at this time, and this can help your baby feel sleepy. Remember to introduce new patterns gently and slowly. If the baby isn’t going to sleep or keeps waking up and crying for you, then she needs to learn to self-comfort, but not all at once. Ease her into the habit of sleeping alone.

Don’t change your rituals at bedtime. You can still start out with a warm bath and feeding. Rocking and snuggling, singing or reading – these are all bonding times for mother and baby. If the baby doesn’t fall asleep right away, try putting her in her crib with the rocker or glider right next to the crib, singing or reading to her. You can stand at the crib and rub or pat her back.

In a week or two, move the chair a short distance away from the crib, so the baby can see you. You can talk or read or sing. If she cries for more than 10 or 15 minutes, then get up and comfort her, but put her back down in the crib and go back to your chair.

In another week or two, move the farther away, towards the door. Even these minor changes could be hard for your baby, but be patient. This is a time when you can fold her laundry and put it away, talking to her, so she’s aware of your presence, but your attention isn’t focused entirely on her. This way she can get used to the idea of separation gradually.

I don't agree with this. Not all babies start sleeping through at 3 months. Some never do. Like adults, babies all have different sleeping patterns.

Hmm, I certainly don't personally know many babies who sleep through at 3 months anyway! xx

Hannah still doesn't sleep through :rofl: Though she's gotten better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->