Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Teen Pregnancy' started by cabaretmum2b, Dec 25, 2009.

1. cabaretmum2b

cabaretmum2b Scarlett's Mummy!

Hey :)

I'm 17, found out I was pregnant yesterday, and am starting to fret about money etc already! I work in a job which is based purely on commission - ie I only get paid for the products I sell - so I'm guessing I won't be entitled to maternity pay! My OH is still a student at college and doesn't have a job, which means that by August (when I'm due) it's pretty likely we're going to have no real income. What can I do??

2. xforuiholdonx

xforuiholdonx Momma to Emma and Coltin!

Find a new job. One that pays some sort of minimum wage, and save every dollar you get. When theres a will there is most certainly a way. Always remember that :)

3. cabaretmum2b

Thanks :) I was thinking of that, but surely by the time I find one (there's a real job shortage at the moment) I'll probably be showing, and nobody's going to hire someone who will be leaving in a few months!

4. pinkmummy

pinkmummy Guest

It is in the discrimination act that they are not allowed to NOT employ you because you are pregnant. It's against the law x

5. casann

casann mummy

if your not able to get another job and live in the uk , when your 29 weeks pregnant you'll be entitled to income support until your child is 15 weeks old . If you live anywhere else i can't think of a back up or anything. Sorry:( x

6. cabaretmum2b

Thanks girls :) I do live in the UK, so I guess I could use that at a last resort, but I'd rather not be living off of benefits, so I will try to get a job and stuff first :)

7. Abigailly

Abigailly Well-Known Member

Have you been working for 26 weeks in the last 66? If you have - commission or not (Ithink) - then you are entitled to maternity allowance. Which is pretty much maternity from the government.

8. cabaretmum2b

Sadly not, I only started about 2 weeks ago! :(

9. KA92

KA92 Guest

Your oh is entitled to benefits too for college I think.

10. pinkmummy

pinkmummy Guest

I don't think he is enetitled to 'normal' benefits but he should be entitled to either EMA (16-18 up to £30 a week) or ALG (19+ up to £30 a week)