Any info or advice on UC/free birth?

Pinkie88

Reaction score
My last baby was born at home with a midwife and it was wondeful. This time however, I cannot afford a midwife and I know it's radical, but I'm looking into "unassisted childbirth" and I need some advice and info. Thanks.

I think if you have a search on this board there have been a few threads asking this. I'm sure there is a support thread somewhere too. We have a few freebirthers here :)

There are also some busy UC groups on Facebook :)

Have you looked at all the free-birther websites and you tube videos? There is a lot of information out there!
I can also recommend the "Homebirthers & Hopefuls" Facebook group, there are some freebirthers on there!

Silver_penny is the lady you need to talk to - she had an inspirational uc. Here is a link to the thread she started about her home unassisted birth, where people could ask her questions.
https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/427385-ask-unassisted-homebirther.html

Some other (hopefully) useful thread links
https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/762079-support-thread-free-birthers.html

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/717264-home-birth-without-midwife.html

I'd say, know yourself - your body, your mind, your baby.. and also know your stuff, and make sure that your OH or another other birth attendant knows any significant indicators to look out for during your labour and birth.

I know that before my DD was born in July I thought about what I would do without a MW (just because of staffing I mightn't had a mw available when I called), and I decided that a: there would likely be a mw, b: if there wasn't I was going to birth at home.

My reasons for staying at home were mostly to do with my total believe that child birth is intrinsically safe, and galvinised by my first birth experience - however, I didn't take this lightly, I knew that each labour and birth are individual and there was a slim possibility that we could encounter problems that we simly wouldn't have the skills/knowledge to act on. Or even if I knew what to do, would my partner, or would I be communicable enough to tell him? But I also thought, what will be will be.. i.e if something catastrophic happened (that wouldn't have been helped in hospital or not), I was still alright with it, as it would have been natural. That's prob quiet strange to say, but for example I see it that if you have a still born baby, what comfort to you gain by being in hospital? I'd rather savour it as a deeply personal moment in my own home.
xxx

I was in the same situatino. I birthed my first baby in hospital because I thought it was illegal to homebirth. By my next birth I had learned about homebirthing and hired a pair of IM's for $2,7000. That time we sold our only car to pay for their services. By the time I was having my third the IMs in Australia were uninsured and I thought, great, their fees will have gone down as insurance was one of the things that made them so expensive but unfortunately their price had gone up to $4,000 which was way out of our reach and I also recalled that I had felt it was rather crowded in my home for my liking at the last birth and I wanted to be left alone when labouring and my IMs pretty much sat around chatting, reading mags and eating chocolate biscuits so I just decided to freebirth. It was wonderful and I did the same the next time. My sister lives locally and we asked her to come by once labour was established so that she could be a birth buddy for our almost 4yo. It was a very peaceful birth. After birthing twice previously I knew what I was doing and had great trust in my body's ability to birth and my ability to know if all was well and if things weren't okay and it was time to transfer. I don't know if I will birth again but so long as I am feeling healthy and there are no indications of complications I'd definitely be freebirthing again if I have another.

I was in the same situatino. I birthed my first baby in hospital because I thought it was illegal to homebirth. By my next birth I had learned about homebirthing and hired a pair of IM's for $2,7000. That time we sold our only car to pay for their services. By the time I was having my third the IMs in Australia were uninsured and I thought, great, their fees will have gone down as insurance was one of the things that made them so expensive but unfortunately their price had gone up to $4,000 which was way out of our reach and I also recalled that I had felt it was rather crowded in my home for my liking at the last birth and I wanted to be left alone when labouring and my IMs pretty much sat around chatting, reading mags and eating chocolate biscuits so I just decided to freebirth. It was wonderful and I did the same the next time. My sister lives locally and we asked her to come by once labour was established so that she could be a birth buddy for our almost 4yo. It was a very peaceful birth. After birthing twice previously I knew what I was doing and had great trust in my body's ability to birth and my ability to know if all was well and if things weren't okay and it was time to transfer. I don't know if I will birth again but so long as I am feeling healthy and there are no indications of complications I'd definitely be freebirthing again if I have another.

Okay, so my question is, what did you do about vaginal tears?

Okay, so my question is, what did you do about vaginal tears?

I tore only slightly with my first baby and only grazed with my subsequent homebirths.

Firstly, I avoided tears by birthing in water and breathing through those final contractions, not pushing as such. Birthing at home you will be free to move about as you will making sure bub is in the best position. Natural tears heal better than cuts so avoiding episiotomy is ideal. Many tears that are routinely sutured that could heal all on their own. I have heard that perineal massage doesn't improve outcomes it can be really helpful psychologically. If it feels right you can do perineal support as bub crowns (jus twith your hand). Zinc supplements are meant to help avoid tears but I suspect this only works if you are deficient.

Here in Australia I wasn't able to locate a midwive who does suturing so if I had torn to the extent that I needed stitches I would simply have transferred to hospital for that and then returned home immediately. This is what my freebirthing friends have done. Perhaps where you live you might be able to find an IM or other midwife or doctor who is willing to come to your home to suture you.

Tip: If you do tear and it stings to urinate you can wee sitting in a bath or bucket of body temp water. Alternatively, you can squirt luke warm water from a sports bottle onto your yoni as you urinate. Ural powder will alkalize your urine so it won't sting as much. Baby wipes can be kinder than toilet paper and if you use the water technique you only need to pat dry.

Home treatments for vaginal tears:

The main thing is to keep the area clean and infection free and facilitate healing:

Calendula oil
Manuka Honey (medicinal grade)
Salt sitz baths
Homeopathic remedies (from a naturopath)
Make sure you are taking plenty of Vit. C & protein, avoid sugar.

With a freebirth it's good to be aware of the different severeties of vaginal tearing so you can assess if you might need to seek medical help or if you will be fine at home self treating. I do'nt know much about that but it would be worth looking into. I reckon if blood was still flowing after 30 minutes I'd have myself looked at by an indpendent midwife and if she thought I needed stitches only then would I transfer.

Hope that helps.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"