• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Tiff

LIKE A BOSS
Reaction score
Hello! I'm hoping that you ladies could give me some advice/support with a few things. I hope I don't overly offend anyone with writing this, I'm just very concerned!

I have a friend who has a darling little boy. However, there is something very, very obvious that he's not developing mentally as uh..."normal" children. I hate using the term 'normal'... but I don't know how else to put it. Her son didn't speak until he was well over 3 years of age. There are a few other things, but they refuse to get him checked for any possible mental disabilites.

They checked him out for physical stuff, as I guess that was okay to process, but they won't believe that their son might have a problem. The entire family is in knots about it, but obviously we all have to respect the family's wishes when it comes to their son.

My question is this:

Obviously it's jarring to think that your LO might have a global delay. Of course we want nothing but the best for our babies. That being said, are there any websites/places that specialize with helping parents cope with special needs children? I think they are just scared, and truly it's only a matter of time before he goes to school and they will be able to access that he needs help. I have a little cousin who has Autism and I know how crucial early intervention is.

I know I would be overstepping my boundaries with them if I said anything, but clearly he needs evaluating. I don't want to get into too many specifics, as I feel bad enough as it is posting this. Could anyone give me some advice or some good websites that I could possibly forward to them? I don't want to hurt any feelings.

Thank you all, I appreciate any feedback. I hope I didn't offend anyone either. :hugs:

You're concerned for a friend, theres nothing wrong with that.
We had a problem accepting Autism with our first, I think that you (at a subconscious level) kind of understand the implications of a child with this kind of problem. Generally people use Neuro typical (abbreviated to NT) to mean normal and it is generally well recieved but you werent offensive in my opinion.
I think in your position it is almost impossible to do anything until the parents are ready to consider it, maybe when pre schools or primary schools start to ask questions they may start to change their opinions. You are right about early intervention being key but they have a lot to come to terms with before this can take place, I compared it to being a bit like grieving the "normal " child you have lost, the one that was in your head whilst you were pregnant and when they were born! My husband argued with the doctor about the diagnosis he was so in denial about it, but he is now fantastic and really on a wavelength with our boys.
The only websites I go on are Autism specific and of course it may not be autism with this little chappie, he might well just be developing slowly, only a doctor can tell this really. Hopefully there will be some other people who have more helpful info for you.
For the entire family to be in knots about it, says to me that they care and that they need time, just my opinion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->