Any ladies with a larger BMI?

OwlBump

Hubby, Son and Bump
Reaction score
Hey ladies; I'm so thrilled to be pregnant but i'm a little worried about the doctors/midwife just focusing only on my weight :(

I'm 5ft5 and weigh 236lbs (BMI 38.6) UK Size 18. In july this year i was 248lbs so BMI was 41.3 Size 20. I just don't know if they will take than into consideration at all but.. Well i just don't know i've read such horrible things about how people got treated because of their weight :dohh:

I'm waiting to hear back from the midwife for my first appointment with her.

Is anyone else in a similar position?

OwlBump x

I was about 275 when I got pregnant with my first and probably hovering close to 300 when I got pregnant with our rainbow baby. I just couldn't wait to get pregnant after the loss of our son. I will tell that to any doctor who questions me. :thumbup:

I have found a great doctor and he has not once mentioned anything to me. It helps that I had a problem free pregnancy before, I can say see, I did it once I can do it again! Seriously though try to eat healthy and you will be fine. I am keeping a food log as I am trying to limit my weight loss.

Also, I am considering a personal trainer once cleared to work out after baby. I gotta get down, I looked good around 220 (I am a bit taller like 5'7ish)....

I am 5ft2 and my pre pregnancy weight was 230lbs. My doctor never said any comments about my weight. She instead gave me pointers. Saying I should probably gain between 15-20 lbs for my pregnancy. She did warn me of some complications that could happen when women are oveweight and pregnant, but not in a rude or judgemental way. She said excercise or not, just make sure I am eating healthy foods for development of my baby. I was really worried about this too beings that this is my first pregnancy. My OBGYN is maybe a size 2 nice body marathon runner so I was pretty nervous. As long as you have a good OBGYN you shouldn't have to worry. Mine is amazing and calmed my nerves regarding my weight. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!

Try not too worry about that. I worried so much about how would be treated because of my weight, but it was all for nothing. Everyone at the office was just lovely. My pre pregnancy weight was 260 lbs. I just started eating a healthy as possible and I actually started to lose weight. I'm just now back to 260.

Soo many people are over weight and pregnant. If your doctor is treating you badly over it maybe find a new doctor?? My BMI is 29 & my doctor just told me that I should only gain about 15-20 lbs. & he explained where the weight goes. They aren't judgemental at all though. I wouldn't worry just take care of yourself of course :) The book I was given gives me an idea calorie wise & it says the first trimester I dont need anything extra, and after that only 300 extra calories a day. It's not eating for 2 so I wouldn't worry at all no one should be judging you just helping you grow that baby the right way :)

Im 15 weeks pregnant and due to my bmi Ive been referred to a consultant, my midwife does nothing but go om about my weight and I saw a consultant at 13w3d who made me burst in to tears once Id left, Im hating pregnancy atm not because of symptoms or bad news at scans etc because on that front baby seems to be perfect, but Im sick of hearing the horror stories the what can happen during pregnancy for overweight people, they keep bashing your fat in to my head yet when I said about diet they say its dangerous during pregnancy so other than eating healthy, exercise and taking abuse from every medical prof I see nothing can be done!

Im 5ft10 bmi is 32.8 aka obese ..... ive got two daughters text book pregnancies not once was my weight mentioned before with them. I think only the scans and monitoring baby is more difficult. I wonder if they are nasty to tiny skinny women who cant even nourish or grow a healthy baby let alone feed themselves! !!! Doubt it. Chubber women must have no feelings hey! I would complain if someone upset me x

Hey,.i'm on the larger size and a dress size 18. My drs/have never mentioned my weight and are brilliant. I try to be pretty on.the ball food eise whilst pregnant making sure im eating ok etc and drinking plenty. I don't seem to put on too much whilst im pregnant. I also walk every where. It's when.im not pregnant is the problem! x

Thanks ladies :) I think its just first pregnancy nerves haha; All the horror stories you read are just crazy scary

I do eat mostly healthily and i walk pretty much everywhere (It's a 3.5 mile round trip to the doctors!) and its getting easier everytime.

I think after reading this i'll do my utmost to stay active and be healthy and try not worry too much atleast until i've seen someone ^^

Thank you!!

I've been between 20-24 uk sizes in my last 2 pregnancies (and for this one!).
I had to go under "consultant care" due to high BMI. It meant more check ups than normal and they all assumed I would get gestational diabetes and have large babies.
I didn't get diabetes in either pregnancy and my babies were 7lbs 6ozs and 8lbs - AND that was TWO WEEKS LATE!
I had a few blood pressure problems - but I swear it was more stress and worry.
The only benefit for me was the fact I got extra scan - they give you growth scans as they could never check my tummy measurement like a "normal" woman. It was a pita - except the scans, we loved the extra opportunities to see bubbas!!!
xxx

I think outside of the comfort of the lovely forum ladies you will find it easier to find nasty stories then pleasant.

Its the way of the world...bad news travels fast. Just like a news casting (a least my local news program) the first 15 minutes is all terrible happenings which is coined by my OH as the only good part of the news broadcast.

I'm 5'2" and my BMI is 35.7. I've actually lost 40 lbs within this last year, but now I guess I'll be gaining it all back.

When i saw my OB for my physical (my second visit, the first was just "here are your dos and donts, and we need like a gallon of blood from you) she was more focused on the fact that i had lost weight since i saw her last in Feb (i was about 320 then, 283 when i saw her again, my starting weight Jan 1st was 342..yikes!!) than anything else...i know i still have weight to lose afterwards, and im going to gain some, thats just part of it...but other than a GI issue that is controlled by my no fried/caffiene/citrus diet and falling asleep inappropriately (yay for Narcolepsy :dohh:) i dont really have any major health issues..my BP is fine, my glucose has always been normal, other than a blocked up R fallopian tube, we are good to go! Drs will always give you the possibilities of complications, and i think thats to cover their butts in case something happens and then its "we werent told this could happen!" but if they seem completely focused on nothing but your weight and not your overall health, then i agree with previous posters, time for a new dr! :flower:

I was over weight for my last pregnancy and am this time too. My pregnancy was fine last time. Had to have a glucose tolerance test last time due to BMI though, disgusting

Im 5ft10 bmi is 32.8 aka obese ..... ive got two daughters text book pregnancies not once was my weight mentioned before with them. I think only the scans and monitoring baby is more difficult. I wonder if they are nasty to tiny skinny women who cant even nourish or grow a healthy baby let alone feed themselves! !!! Doubt it. Chubber women must have no feelings hey! I would complain if someone upset me x

Well that's mean :nope: I'm skinny (BMI 18) and I nourished and grew my 7 lb 4 oz baby just fine, while feeding myself too.

I like to read all types of threads from women facing all kinds of problems so I can understand what it's like. In my opinion it's mean-spirited to single out those with the opposite problem who in reality did nothing to you.

I'm glad that your daughters are both healthy and I hope nobody ever hurt your feelings.

I wouldnt worry. With my son i was size 22-24 UK. Yes they mentioned my weight once, But the advantages was i got 4 extra scans!! :D

I wouldnt worry. With my son i was size 22-24 UK. Yes they mentioned my weight once, But the advantages was i got 4 extra scans!! :D

Lucky...i dont get any extra scans with the exception of my ultrascreen test....booo!!! :haha:

Lucky...i dont get any extra scans with the exception of my ultrascreen test....booo!!! :haha:

I think it was just because i was large! Plus baby started measuring big too,. They estimated a 10lb baby, but he was 8lb 5oz! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->