Any moms of 26 weekers?

AlwaysDreamin

Reaction score
My twins were born at 26 weeks and 5 days. Just wondering, at what age did you start weaning?
I know bliss says to go by their actual age but my dietician said that's for later prem babies, not micro prems like mine.
I have been trying for over 6 weeks now, just one meal a day atm. My bigger twin isn't doing too bad but my other doesn't seem to be enjoying it.
I can't find any info anywhere to help me so I thought the best idea was to ask other prem moms.

We had a 27 weeker and we started at 6 months actual age, slowly. She never really got into it until after a year old but we persevered. Your dieticians advice was very much like my health visitor, but when I visited the neonatal outpatients turns out they too go by Bliss Guidelines and asked why I hadn't started. Those guidelines are for all, but obviously you need to evaluate whether your baby is ready. it's not textbook :)

Nevertheless - there is no rush either, and all babies, premature or term, are different. If your bigger twin isnt into it, try again later. My term baby wasnt even into it until more 8-9 months old, but as long as your babies are getting plenty milk and iron then relax :)

Thank you! I have really been worrying myself sick about it, I feel like a terrible mother! Lol. These are my first babies aswel so I'm finding it especially hard... Having such premature babies makes things even more confusing.
They're still on nutriprem 2 (I couldn't keep up with the bf) ands dietician wants to keep them on that for the next few months.
They're both still gaining weight steadily so I guess that's the main thing.

It just worried me because my HV said they need to be weaned at 8 months no matter what. Well, they're 8 months now (but only 5 months adjusted).
When do you think I should introduce a second meal throughout the day?
Atm I give them one meal of either baby rice or puréed fruit or vegetables. Sometimes my smaller twin will only take a couple of spoons, sometimes he even gags on it and brings up some of his milk x

The gagging is very familiar which is why Alex didnt get into it til after 1 year. It literally just took time and age

The problem with Health Visitors is most of them tend to be clueless when it comes to premature babies, especially in this respect. One rule doesnt fit all. You don't have to listen to this woman - I promise - you are in charge here and if she doesn't like your choices, well, tough! :haha:

How old are your twins?

At the end of the day, like I said, milk is the most important thing. They arent starving :)

They are nearly 35 weeks old actual, just over 21 weeks corrected.
They're definitely not going hungry... If anything they're still not having the full amount of milk. They have a bottle every 4 hours and they take anything up to 200mls, depends how they're feeling lol.
Everything I've read about weaning says if babies usually still seem hungry after a full bottle of milk then it's time to start solids.
But my babies are quite content with their milk, and they're not even taking a 'full' bottle at a time.
I'm just so confused! I feel like I'm going to give them long term feeding problems when they're older if I don't get them weaned... Or that's how I've been made to feel x

Not at all :hugs: You have been trying, one is taking to it, the other isn't, but thats just fine, just try again another time. You are doing nothing wrong. The idea of weaning so early is due to the iron stores from birth depleting at about this age so weaning is meant to supplement that iron.

They won't have issues in the future hunny :hugs: They all get there and there is still plenty of time!

Hi I had a 26wker and my advice would be just go by your instincts sounds like your doing great :thumbup: your babies are growing healthy and they still need there milk so like your doing 1 solid away and just build slowly..
It just shows all babies are different as you said one is more ready than the other maybe the one that's not so keen just give a break and try again in a few days..

Your doing great just don't stress or your babies will sense this and not be happy..

Keep your chin up :hugs:

Hello!I had a 27 weeker (he had the weight of a 23 weeker) and didn't start weaning until he was 9+ months, which was barely 6 corrected. I know some say to use actual age but it just makes no sense for our little guys. That would have meant starting my son on solids when he was 2.5 months corrected?! Um no isn't think so.

Just trust your instinct (with regular medical checkups of course). If they're gaining weight and are content you're doing OK. Breast milk/formula should be the primary source of nutrients for the whole first year.

My daughter is 7.5 months; I've been trying to give her solids gradually for a month and she still seems to have little interest in them. I just keep trying a bit every day.

I had a 30 weeker and I'll be honest, she didn't have gagging but she did not like baby food. No cereal, no pureed foods, nothing. I tried everything and she spit it all out and would shudder as if the taste was horrible. I would give her a few weeks break and try again but always the same. I tried probably 4 or 5 separate times, about a week at a time, across several months, and always the same result. I made the decision that my dd just didn't like baby food and I fed her breastmilk and formula until she was 13-14ish months (1 year adjusted). Then we started trying to get her to eat more chewable food she could mash in her mouth around then and were much more successful (although she is very limited on what she actually likes). The point is, she skipped baby food altogether and was on formula until a year old, and she's fine, she's healthy, she's normal. She got all the vitamins she needed from formula and there were times I thought she'd never eat and I'd be sending her to school with a bottle of formula in her lunch box, LOL, but eventually she started eating more. Don't let doctors or books or articles tell you there is an exact time your baby should be doing something. Use your judgement and if it's working well with one of your kiddos but not the other, take a different approach with the other. They don't have to be doing everything or reaching milestones at the exact same time. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->