any one from new england out there?

I'm from the south shore, MA :happydance: ... but just moved to Wichita, KS april 1 :witch: :shrug: had to move for hubby's new job, but we can afford a nice home down here for the price of a tiny apt up in MA :happydance:

I moved to south texas at the beginning of August!:wohoo: :yipee: :happydance: \\:D/ :bunny: :dance: Kansas was AWFUL! :wacko:

I'm living in Enfield... been here nearly 3 months and I haven't met anyone with young children.

lol Just noticed howold this thread is....

I'm living in Enfield... been here nearly 3 months and I haven't met anyone with young children.

you're probably about half an hour from me, if you mean enfield, ct! :thumbup:

you're probably about half an hour from me, if you mean enfield, ct! :thumbup:

Yep, that's where I am. Well, not currently, given the fact that we just lost electricity. I'm at my in-laws right now until they get everything running again... we're estimated to wait about a week. How's everything where you are?

We lost power and are at my patents' too. :(

How did everyone else fare?

Saying hello from RI!

No loss of power here, and the snow hardly stuck near my home - what little did was basically gone after 5 minutes in the sun.

Hi there,
Not sure whether this is the right place to add this post... My family and I will be moving to Connecticut from the UK sometime in February or March 2012 (depending on how quickly the visas come through). Just wondering if anyone could recommend on nice places that are family-friendly to live in CT? My husband's office is based in Stamford so he doesn't want a massive commute from our home to the office so would prefer to live within 45 mins drive of his work. We are planning on renting and our top-end of our budget is $2000- and looking for a house with 3 beds plus.
Also, planning on putting Ben into pre-school at 3 - can anyone recommend any good schools in Stamford or surrounding areas?
What is public transport like in CT or is it essential to drive?
Also if anyone could give me any advice on general living costs- e.g. taxes, oil, electric, cable tv, car taxes. My OH's company is paying our medical insurance and internet and phone bills so don't need to budget for those.
Many thanks xxx

hi kasey! welcome to ct (well, when you get here)! stamford (and the surrounding area) is expensive, as most places in southern ct are. (especially fairfield county).

if you could go as far as the naugatuck valley, you would be better off. shelton, trumbull and parts of derby and ansonia are nice (and much less expensive). all taxes are high in ct. there is a commuter rail, in southern ct, called metro-north, but it's nothing like subways/tubes/etc in larger places (like london, nyc). having a car is pretty much a must.

good luck! if you have any other questions, i'd be happy to help! my husband grew up in southern ct, and i lived there for a short while. i also have friends who used to live close to stamford and may be able to help with more specific questions.

Many thanks Duckytwins that's great info - may take you up on the offer for some more info once we have moved to CT or if I think of anything else in the next few weeks :) Will have a look at some of the places you have suggested. My OH's company is going to put us up in a 2 bed apartment when we arrive so will have a month to find somewhere to live but it's nice to have a look at properties and areas before we move there. Congratulations on your pregnancy and wishing you a very H&H 9 months (I remember you from the TWW threads!). :)

Hi Kasey
Congrats and good luck on your move. I grew up in Bristol, CT... about an hour from Stamford. CT, like any other state, has good and bad areas. A car is a definate must. Agreed on the Naugatuck Valley recommendation. It'll be full on winter when you arrive, and we've been having some power issues lately in the New England area... A few inches of snow has been knocking power out for days... Let us know if you need anymore local research help!

Thanks EAandBA_ttc- really appreciate your response :) Will definitely check out the Nauguatuck valley when we get there. I used to live in Canada when I was younger so used to snow and cold winters. Really scared about the move and my parents are not too happy about us moving so make things even more stressful.... :(

Hi everyone, I am from Vermont, but have been living in MA for 3 years now.

Hi everyone! I am from New Hampshire. I have an 11.5 month old little boy! Just wanted to join if I may.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->