Any other plus size mummies? Am feeling a bit down about it :-(

willowblossom

Reaction score
OK so I have always been a bigger girl but I am a really active person. I am a groom so I do lots of physical work like mucking out stables, lifting, riding etc. So I am very fit for my size I have a BMI of 31. I had my 12 week scan on Friday which was great and baba is doing well. After that I saw a doctor (never did in my previous pregnancies) who told me that I am a high risk pregnancy. I need to have a growth scan at 34 weeks and have got to be measured every 2 weeks to check growth of the baby, also he said I may not be able to have my home birth!! My usual midwife seemed OK with the home both idea seeing as I've had 2 normal deliveries and my last being a home birth. I'm just feeling a bit down and needed to vent I guess. I'm sure he is expecting me to have gest diabetes even though I didnt either time before. Just wanted to hear from other 'bigger' mums to see how you guys are getting on? I think BMI us a load of rubbish as it doesn't take into account body type and muscle.
I just want my home birth!!!!
Sorry guys vent over!!!!

I'm high risk purely based on my weight.

I have great bloodwork and my bp is normal. I'm just fat. I have a scan at 18 weeks with a perinatologist and we go from there.

I'm not sure if im plus size or not? I am more of a curvy person and near a weight i dont want to think about :p
My doctor doesnt seem concerned and i don't believe in BMI's since they're complete rubbish.
I say seek out someone else's opinion..if you have had 2 healthy pregnancies/labours theres no sense why you shouldnt be able to have your home birth.

I'm high risk based on my age and previous history of having a miscarriage. I am seeing a perinatologist every 6 weeks, which started with the 12 week scan.

I have a BMI of 32 and not a single doctor has said a word about my weight. Even my endocrinologist, whom I see for borderline hyperthyroidism, is unconcerned. It has only been a topic of conversation when I asked my OB about my inability to gain weight so far. It might be different in the US though where a good portion of the population is overweight/obese and I fall at the lower end of the obesity scale.

I worry about GD due to my risk factors, but I've known thin mothers who get it during their pregnancy and morbidly obese mothers who did not.

I'm definitely a bigger person and luckily my doctor hasn't said much about it yet. I was checked out at a perinatalogist due to a family history of blood clots but that's the only reason she thought I could be high risk. Otherwise she's told me to just watch what I eat so I don't gain too much and increase my odds of gestational diabetes. I don't think your weight alone should make you high risk (unless it was already debilitating to you which it obviously wasn't). Hopefully you can get everyone on board with your wishes or find someone more understanding soon.

Thanks ladies for your stories. Hopfully it was just one doctor with that opinion. At the end of the day I know my body and it's limitations and would know if something wasn't right. I just wish I wasn't seen to them purely as a bmi number.

My BMI is a 38.. and my doctor never mentioned high risk to me. I did however have to do my Glucose test at the end of my first AND second trimester. I even have a previous history of a broken pelvis. Hopefully this is only one doctors opinion...

I have no idea what my BMI is lol. I refuse to look :wacko: . I am definitely a bit fluffy. I had to do the glucose test right around the end of my first tri as well and it came back fine. I've gained 11lbs so far and no one has said anything to me from day one. The only thing I got told was I have to do the glucose test early based off my weight and I said ok. I've never heard another word since. Even my Dr and her NP go gaga over my belly that's finally taking shape. My baby has been ahead by 6 days since my first US. We had our anatomy scan yesterday and baby boy is 1.5lbs I asked the tech if that was ok she said do you have diabetes. I said not that I'm aware of and she said it's fine. I mean hell the daddy is 6'2 and I'm 5'7. My baby is going to be a big boy.

It's crazy how some Dr's can make you feel like something is wrong with you and get you all worried over nothing.

I have a BMI of 29.5 - my doctor has not really said anything about my weight. She said she doesn't usually worry about pregnancy weight gain - I assume if she feels like I'm gaining too much, she'll tell me how to work on that... no one has said I'm high risk because of my weight, although my blood pressure has been slightly high.

I'm nearly 17 weeks and haven't really gained anything, so I feel like things are alright so far.

I hope you get your home birth!

I have a BMI of 31 I think and my dr has never said I'm high risk because of my weight. (I am high risk but due to a clotting issue and a history of RMC, not because of my weight.)

The only thing he's said is that I should try to keep my weight gain down on the lower end because I am already carrying a bit extra.

High bmi here, not muscle, I'm just overweight! Weight is a risk factor, but only 1 and not enough on it's own to be relevant. Weight is a much bigger deal in pregnancy in the UK, but apart from having the GTT normally you don't need to do anything else and you should not be under consulant care unless your bmi is 35 or over. I would ask them to double check the guidelines because unless there are other risk factors the recommendation of a hospital birth only applies to a bmi over 35 too.

I am also considered high risk due to bmi alone, I had a gtt and extra growth scans in my first pregnancy and as long as everything else remained normal and healthy I planned a home birth, I got my beautiful home birth. This time my bmi is even higher (both times over 40) but I am doing the same again all being well. So far my gtt was negative and baby is growing perfectly. They want me to have weekly blood pressures even though my blood pressure has been low! Even my midwife thought that was silly haha.

All doctors see is risk, no matter how small the increase, we're talking 1% or 2% increases here and home birth midwives know how to handle those things if they do happen. What doctors don't discuss with you is the massive benefits in home birth, the reduction in the risk of all interventions/pain relief/tears/infection for you and baby, the increase in the effect of oxytocin and the likelihood of quicker and smoother birth as a result.

They cannot deny you a home birth, it is illegal, it is your right to look at the evidence and research and make an informed choice that is right for you and your baby and they have to send someone to attend you. Believe in yourself mumma xx

Hi,

I completely understand how you feel! I have a bmi of 29.5 and have been told im a higher risk. I think they make too much fuss over bmi as its only calculated by weight and height and feel its too much of a generalisation. Everyone is different.

I also have to have a glucose test soon- has anyone else had this because Im dreading it! What does the drink taste like?

Im currently 18 weeks and have spent most of my pregnancy worrying about my weight and feel its unfair that they make a big deal out of it because how are you supposed to keep your weight down whilst pregnant!??

Hi,

I completely understand how you feel! I have a bmi of 29.5 and have been told im a higher risk. I think they make too much fuss over bmi as its only calculated by weight and height and feel its too much of a generalisation. Everyone is different.

I also have to have a glucose test soon- has anyone else had this because Im dreading it! What does the drink taste like?

Im currently 18 weeks and have spent most of my pregnancy worrying about my weight and feel its unfair that they make a big deal out of it because how are you supposed to keep your weight down whilst pregnant!??

I have the dreaded bottle of liquid at home and waiting for me to do the test next Wednesday. If you've not done yours by then I can tell you how it was for me. I'm not sure if they have other "flavors" to choose from but mine will be orange.

MrsRose last time I had the drink it was washing up liquid flavour lol. It's only a small amount though so easy to down in one!!

It's so irritating when doctors pay more attention to the numbers than the person. I'm technically obese, but both my pregnancies have been relatively easy with no complications. No gestational diabetes, no issues at my son's birth that aren't typical first time mom stuff, etc. I'm thankful for my midwives who practice evidence based medicine and look at the actual mother when making decisions. Don't be afraid to politely ask "why" when something seems off, and insist on a real answer.

I didn't think the Glucola drink was as bad as everyone says. It was kind of like stronger Kool Aid.

I think it depends where you are... I have a BMI of 31 aswell but my blood pressure is perfect and i have no family history so I'm classed as low risk.

I haven't asked for a home birth I want a water birth at a birthing centre and they have said that's all fine so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->