Any other rebellious gd'ers staying at home?

Emmea12uk

The Folic acid police!
Reaction score
I am diet contrOlled and this is my second time with gd. My son was super skinny and my scabs shows my girl is also. I don't get blood sugar highs so I don't see what all the fuss about. Anyone not giving in to the scare mongers.

ME!!!

Hey.. I had a brilliant Home Birth with my daughter with diet controlled GD. Having GD doesn't mean that you will give birth to elephant man, and you know that the scans and measurements will let you know on evidence if there is an indication baby is too fat to deliver..

In the absence of any "real" clinical evidence, I was very happy to deliver at home. Most of the "advice" (which I felt was detrimental to my health and that of my unborn baby), was due to POLICY (policy of all things?!?!) not evidence, not presentation, not ME as an individual?! = madness! and I told my Obst that too! They have NO basis to induce me at 40 weeks (as he would have liked) to introduce me to risk, when I wasn't presenting with ANY evidence of risk.

Unfortunately I had to remind my Obst he wasn’t needed for normal births - he is there for abnormalities of birth, and there wasn’t any evidence I needed him. Also I was cheeky to ask him when he had last seen a normal birth - he hadn’t (EVER!)

You are in control. Never, your Obst or even MWs

xXx

Thank you so much!!! That was so encouraging to hear:)

The only thing that is am scared about is her size as I am huge, but at my 26 week scan she was tiny. But now at 30 wks I am the size I was at 40 with my son. Saying that I measure spot on.

I am sO bouyed on to do this at home now. I can't wait!! I can hardly believe I might get to experience birth as nature intended.

Hello btw from Christchurch - I am on holiday there at the moment - hense the slow reply!

Have they offered you more scans, as fundal heights are a bit hit and miss in accuracy? So dont'' worry too much about how huge you feel.. let the scans tell you if there is likey to be any disproportion between babies size and your pelvis. (if you want to - nothing to stop you if you didn't want to jump through all the hoops)

My last scan was at 39+5.. at least I was pretty sure not much was going to change by then and my little girl wasn't going to be too chubby to get out! ;-) The important measurement on these scans is the AD.

The worse bit I found about having GD last time was ALL the appointments! Consultant Obst and Endocronologist, diabetic nurses, nutritionilists, and all the additional scans!! Plus seeing my antenatal mw - it was busy! oh, and also eating like I was on an Atkins diet - If I had baked beans on toast it would send my sugars through the roof! (didn't do that again), plus waiting 2 hours after each meal to do my blood sugars before I could eat anything again... when all I really wanted to do was to graze and eat little and often. It'[s a right pain in the bum isn't it?!

I did meet with some obsticals to have a home birth with GD - but I made my own decisions. Of course my notes were littered with things like, "nicola is still determined to birth at home". "It is recommended nicola birth at the obst unit and come for an induction at 40wks" Oh it was maddening! But I stuck to evidence and ultimatly what my choice was - even if that meant just repeating myself over and over and over (the message did manage to get through in the end!! Plus to one of my consultants credit - she saw no problems with me birthing at home (she kindly wrote me an open letter stating her opinion)

Glad that everything is looking good for your little lady to get earthside.. There certainly isn't anything stopping you from gettiing your home birth, either way - it is afterall your choice.

I'm passionate about choice in childbirth, and if you need any support on the homebirth with GD - I'm here for you! Certainly never let them make you feel that you are being bullied or coersed into a particular route of care you are not comfortable with. Hooray for standing up to the scaremongers!

Hope you had/have a nice holiday. We also holiday-ed close to home in our tent, and it was fab.

Keep in touch
XxX

Nope no further scans which I regret tbh as I want the peace of mind.

I had sO many appointments I was getting really down but I am discharged from feral med and the gd team now. I have a mw consultant and a consultant and mental health team (concerned I have a fear of labour ward lol) so not as bad as it was. I was going in up to four times a week!

My gd isnt so bad. I test hourly after meals and provided the carb content is low and the protein high I seem to be able to graze every few hours. Two hours would drive me nuts!!! I am forever counting down the minutes until I test so I can snack!

My mw is an old sort friend and she has been doing it since before crappy policy sp she is definately in agreement I have a right to choose. She is so sad that she can't offer the mw unit due to policy or that she can't guarantee her being my delivery mw. It is pathetic really. I can't deliver at unit because baby might be hypo but I can deliver at home further from hospital?! My baby will not gave a hypo if I don't have a hyper which you can see happening. It is crazy! My consultant said I am no risk so can do what I like provided gd stays under control. He makes sense at least!

I am really excited about the prospect of giving birth my way with my mw and doula. I am scared though for two reasons - the first being her weight because I am as big now as I was with my son at 40 weeks and all that frightens me about that is that I will be rushed to hospital in a panic and I won't stay calm.

Secondly, my son's birth was so traumatic as I knew we were delivering him by induction to get him into theatre for brain and spinal surgery. The hospital was diabolical and did so many bad things. I am so scarred by it. If I could just relax and trust in myself and know nothing will go wrong I know I could stay calm. If problems occur I might panic rather too much!

I hope that makes sense!

I live in the new forest so I love holidaying here - it is so peaceful. I hope to do at least one night in a tent before the baby comes!

Thank you so much for supporting me! I am so pleased someone understands my frustration at all the non-existent risks.

Just wanted to say its nice to hear this. I have PCOS and had a BG lvl of 7.1 2 yrs ago, since then the hba1c have been 6.something, 5.something, still im labeled diabetic. OB has said thats rubbish and theyll treat me as if I have GD even tho my BG is fine. They want to induce me at 40w 'whatever my situation' so even if im healthy and baby is healthy.

Will be telling them where to go if all goes well tbh. Was hoping for a natural birth in a birthing centre, but Im thinking home birth might be the way to go now.

Ok, im gonna stop looking now as lets be honest, im 8w! far too early to be winding myself up about this stuff!

GL with it tho :)

I have diet controlled GD for the first time in any of my 6 pregnancies. I wasn't expecting any different treatment of me or baby at the hospital... do they normally treat you or baby differently? What should I expect? Do you think it's different in the UK and the US? BTW, my baby measures small to average, so I'm pretty sure she won't be as big as my NON-GD babies, lol.

Just wanted to say its nice to hear this. I have PCOS and had a BG lvl of 7.1 2 yrs ago, since then the hba1c have been 6.something, 5.something, still im labeled diabetic. OB has said thats rubbish and theyll treat me as if I have GD even tho my BG is fine. They want to induce me at 40w 'whatever my situation' so even if im healthy and baby is healthy.

Will be telling them where to go if all goes well tbh. Was hoping for a natural birth in a birthing centre, but Im thinking home birth might be the way to go now.

Ok, im gonna stop looking now as lets be honest, im 8w! far too early to be winding myself up about this stuff!

GL with it tho :)

Hi! Thank you! I am with you - if your bg stays normal then why the hell not?! I hate all this gd stuff so much - it feels like they go way overboard most of the time. Granted there are cases where it is needed but they need to base their clinical decisions on evidence!

Gl to you too!

I have diet controlled GD for the first time in any of my 6 pregnancies. I wasn't expecting any different treatment of me or baby at the hospital... do they normally treat you or baby differently? What should I expect? Do you think it's different in the UK and the US? BTW, my baby measures small to average, so I'm pretty sure she won't be as big as my NON-GD babies, lol.

In the uk you seem to lose the freedom of choice with birth as soon as you are labelled gd, even if you control it fine and baby seems fine. Birth centers won't have you and most hospitals will induce you at 39 weeks.

The fear is baby might get stuck due to large shoulders caused by excess insulin in their bodies (caused by excess sugar in yours). Another fear is the baby will suffer hypoglycemia after birth due to being cut off from your high blood sugar - however if you are controlled during labour this won't happen and if it does, the best cure is a good feed!

The worse fear is sudden death at 40 weeks of the baby with rarely happens to mothers who are diabetic before the pregnancy. Of course there is no accurate way of knowing whether you were unless you were tested before pregnancy. Hense the inductions.

I hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->