Any runners out there

Anya88

Reaction score
Hi ladies. This is probably not the best location for this post, but oh well.

I am currently ttc following mc. I am an avid runner. 30-40 miles per week. I was hoping to hear some positive (or otherwise) stories/advice regarding running while pregnant. I have heard of women running and it's ok if it's nothing new, but just knowing others do it would make me feel better. As stupid as it sounds, it almost makes me reconsider pregnancy as this is a large part of my self-concept. So, I guess I just need to hear that it's possible and pleasurable. Thanks for reading/responding. :flower:

Most exercise during a low-risk pregnancy is totally fine. This includes running. Exercise is wonderful during pregnancy, helping to grow a strong placenta, controlling weight gain, reducing labour length, helping with sleep and helping you recover much faster from birth.

The general rule is that anything you were doing when you fell pregnant you can do during pregnancy. The exceptions are 'extreme' or contact sports: so skiing, football, scuba diving, horse riding (you could fall off) etc are not recommended. The other exception is that you generally shouldn't exercise to exhaustion: that you should generally keep yourself working at a moderate pace (i.e. able to hold a conversation). You also need to be careful not to overheat and to stay well hydrated.

I don't run (dodgy knee) but I exercise hard: boot camp style and elliptical. During my #2 I kept this going (whilst taking into account the normal pregnancy restrictions, like not lying on your back after 2nd tri and being careful not to over-stretch): almost every day. I felt great, gained very little weight other than bump and boobs (I went to the hospital in labour in my normal, pre-pregnancy jeans) and recovered easily. Exercise for me was wonderful.

This time around I've really struggled to exercise at even a low intensity during first tri: I'm just too tired and sick. But I know that when I start up again properly in second tri it'll be great.

Exercise in pregnancy is totally possible and really great.

Im not a runner - but I do take part in alot of heavy exercise every week, my midwife has said as long as I did it before I fell pregnant and I always listen to my body it's fine. I think you just have to take it week by week!

I stopped HIIT but carried on running until I reached a point where I felt uncomfortable/too big to continue so switched to the upright bike/cross trainer etc.

I think maintaining my fitness throughout my pregnancy has really helped me as I don't seem to have suffered any of the typical pregnancy complaints.

Best advice is to just listen to your body and do whatever you feel comfortable doing. As others have said, as long your body is used to it then there is no reason why you shouldn't continue (unless you develop some sort of complications where you're advised to take it easy of course). Good luck in your TTC journey xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->