any surprise hits for kids?

Scout

Reaction score
My dd, who will be 5 in May, has never expressed any interest in Lego. She has them at school, but has only ever commented that they are "okay" to play with. A couple months ago, I picked up a couple sets at a store that was going out of business. I only bought them because they were so cheap and I thought dd might get a bit of play out of them. Honestly, I almost didn't wrap them bc I thought dd would just toss them aside.

Wrong! LOL She loves them, and has played with them more than anything else she got. Last night, when I asked what her favorite gift was, she said she loved everything, but especially the lego. Goes to show what I know:wacko:

I'm so happy though, because I enjoy playing with them too.

Holly loves James' Toot Toot garage. They've played with it loads together!
She also loves the Pie Face game and Minion monopoly games.

James absolutely loves his Cosy Coupe car and has spent much of the day in it :haha:

Isn't it funny how that works some times!
One of my friends was selling a lovely wooden elc kitchen which I bought as an 'extra for Alice and Nellie.
They had a plastic kitchen of their older siblings that they never played with and ended up in the garden Wendy house but Alice has played with it constantly! All day yesterday she was msking cups of tea and sausages lol

DD1 hasn't really got a favourite. To be fair, she hasn't been that fond of any of her presents bar LOL dolls. She's disappointed inside which is upsetting.

DD2 loves her peppy pup, hoover and doctors kit.

Ds2 has loved his £7 Spider-Man guitar, which I hoped he would but he’s barely put it down, wasn’t expecting him to be quite so keen on it

I think we got my DDs too much. We say if every year between me, my mum and sister they had loads and so overwhelming for them, they just wanted more and more but not actually playing with any.
DD1 loves her equestria girls and DD2 paw patrol pubs. They loved their playmobil water park which was joint from my nan.

Rio so far hasn’t left his fingerling alone and a cheap plastic pretend police set with handcuffs. We’ve been arrested hundreds of times today!
Also Cosmo is a huge hit which I’m glad but he asks for him out every 10 mins lol.

My two have enjoyed playing with each others toys!

Dd1 has hardly touched her Fingerling yet, but hopefully she'll show some interest in it at some point.

No surprises really. She has pretty much loved everything but her my size paw patrol look out is a massive hit which i knew it would be.

She loves her vampirina set which i was a bit worried about since i had it shipped from the states but she hasnt watched the show in a few weeks so thought she'd maybe gone off it.

A plastic lipstick and nail polish that came as part of a play vanity unit from her auntie! 😂
Talking bing

She’s actually loved all her presents. I think we got her just the right amount.

He loves the Spy Glasses that came in his stocking, best £1.50 Santa spent. He was walking around today with a walkie talkie, a torch and his camera saying he was a spy!! Very incognito.
He also loves his Sea Patroller, Thomas minis track (both his Santa requests) and a temote control JCB wrecking ball his aunt gave him. I just wondered where we would keep the giant thing!!
Hes also built some of his Lego sets, always a sure fire hit.
He got so much as his birthday is the 19th so Ive stashed quite a bit in a cupboard to bring out later in the year. Poor kid gets bombarded then nothing for the rest of the year!! That way everything gets a chance to shine.

DD1 hasn't really got a favourite. To be fair, she hasn't been that fond of any of her presents bar LOL dolls. She's disappointed inside which is upsetting.

Aww Smartie thats really sad, was she expecting something else do you think or is she just underwhelmed with things she thought she wanted. Don't answer if you think im being too nosey, i was just really sad for you both reading that x

DD has been delighted with her playmobil, lol dolls and jojo doll. She has been completely underwhelmed by the fingerling after all the faff of getting hold of one. Typical lol

Aww Smartie thats really sad, was she expecting something else do you think or is she just underwhelmed with things she thought she wanted. Don't answer if you think im being too nosey, i was just really sad for you both reading that x

I also felt sad reading this too given how much you both love Christmas and all the effort ! I think it gets a bit too much for them . Over the coming days she will hopefully pick out some favourites !

We got the girls the Enchantimal Treehouse playset which was a hit . They also love these barbies on horses which I thought would just get lashed as they already have a few ! So I’m surprised there

Smartie, my 6 year old ds, diesnt seem that pleased with any of his gifts. Even his santa one which he has played with but wasnt excited about. I have spent the last 2 days trying to figure out if he was just playing it cool or if he just doesnt like them. I asked him tonight and he didnt respond. Just gave me a hug.
I figure it was all just a bit too much for him. He has been playing with dd with her toys alot. Just not so much his own. I mentioned it to OH who thinks its an age thing. 6 year olds are much too cool to be excited.

The things she asked for first time round, we bought. She then decided to change her list within 1 week of Christmas - NOTHING was the same. We then asked her "what if Santa can't get you what you asked for?" And her response was "I don't mind" which made us melt as she is grateful. In the photos I've got of her, her expression is neutral :( the only time I've seen her smile is when we played the board games lastnight. Maybe she's growing up too fast and out of toys? I think I may take her shopping and let her pick some things to buy which will most likely be Lego as it was on her new list.

The things she asked for first time round, we bought. She then decided to change her list within 1 week of Christmas - NOTHING was the same. We then asked her "what if Santa can't get you what you asked for?" And her response was "I don't mind" which made us melt as she is grateful. In the photos I've got of her, her expression is neutral :( the only time I've seen her smile is when we played the board games lastnight. Maybe she's growing up too fast and out of toys? I think I may take her shopping and let her pick some things to buy which will most likely be Lego as it was on her new list.

This is my kid exactly. He created a list then changed it. Then when guessing what gifts were in each box he kept guessing lego. But he never mentioned lego. Honestly, i think its an age thing.

She may just be a little overwhelmed, i think at this age they're just bombarded with adverts for so many different toys and its hard to figure out what you actually want. She may well come round to the things you have bought her as well, some things are just slow burners.

I have to admit that i really disliked the whole letter to santa thing this year. DD fretted about what to put on it then after it was done worried she'd put the wrong things down or hadn't added something. It just didn't feel as enjoyable as previous years and it felt like it was putting pressure on her. Im not sure what to do next year, maybe ill just have to save up and do a last minute shop the week before. It was definitely all so much easier when they were younger.

The boys were completely unimpressed with their fingerlings! Luckily their baby sister (18m) decided they were the hit of the day ! 9 year olds exact words were “she can have mine if she wants... I want her to be happy and tbh I’m not really fussed by it”
well it was almost a nice thing to say hahaha.

Oh no that must have been so frustrating ! DD1 kept trying to change her list and I had to gentle remind her that Santa is very busy !

I hope she enjoys her gifts in the coming days when things settle down !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->