Any tips for TTC over 35?

Smilinggirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My boyfriend and I are TTC. I am monitoring my BBT, and we have not conceived in the last 2 cycles. I seem to be ovulating, but I am not sure if I am producing enough cervical mucus. I have a 6 year old from a previous relationship and my ex and i conceived my son on our first try. I am trying to drink grapefruit juice (I heard this helps with cervical mucus). I also seem to be late for my period with every time we try. I seem to be having pregnancy symptoms around day 18 of my cycle (sore breasts, feeling tired and nauseous). I used a few HPT and they all came back as negative. I even had a negative blood test through my doctor. Has anyone had any of these symptoms while TTC? I am going to wait until 6 months of trying before I see my doctor about our fertility.

Hmmm, I just think it takes longer after the age of 35. Considering that not every egg produced will be viable due to aging, also that sometimes the soldiers won't meet the egg/timing will be off, it just taking most couples over 35 a little longer. If you're worried you could both get checked out. In Canada a fam doc can ask for a day 3/21 (fsh estrogen/progesterone) test, u/s (antral follie count) and sperm test too. fsh gives some indication of reserves, progesterone tells if you're ovulating (you can go through cycles and while it looks like you're o'ing, really no eggie comes out).

Being over 35, taking antioxidents will help your egg quality making for less chance of m/c and less chance of it not being a good egg (won't turn into a blast or even get to m/c stage).

CoQ10,vit E/C/D for you folic acid for both of you. Folic and macca are the only supplements proven to have a measurable impact on fertility for guys although I'm sure other vitamins help with his overall health.

I also highly believe softcups help. There's LOTS of threads on B&B about them and I've personally had success with them this summer (1st time use after 1 year of no success).

I have been using something called the keeper during AF. It is similar to soft cups. I learned about it in university, and I have been using it ever since. Thanks for all of the advice! Have u thought about trying acupuncture? How about cleansing your system with a three day fruit diet? This is supposed to release toxins. These are all eastern medical approaches.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with juice fasts or acupuncture. However, if you're having trouble with CM, you could try pre-seed lube. It's sperm-friendly and is supposed to mimic EWCM and help the little guys along. It is also AWESOME lube! :blush: Some ladies use another one called Conceive Plus. I don't know anything about that one though.

Hi Smilinggirl,

I used to have plentiful EWCM but it's diminished noticeably since I got older. I have had some very noticeable improvements by using a cough syrup containing guaifenesin though. This is an expectorant but works to make mucus secretion more copious and looser and definitely seemed to work for me. You need to get a brand where guaifenesin is the only ingredient (some of them also have fever reducing ingredients). It's worth a try.

Hi Smilinggirl,

I used to have plentiful EWCM but it's diminished noticeably since I got older. I have had some very noticeable improvements by using a cough syrup containing guaifenesin though. This is an expectorant but works to make mucus secretion more copious and looser and definitely seemed to work for me. You need to get a brand where guaifenesin is the only ingredient (some of them also have fever reducing ingredients). It's worth a try.

Hi Hortensia,
This is the first thing I noticed that was different TTC after 35. I remember when I was TTC at 29, I had copious EWCM. I also remember my BBT having a huge jump at exactly day 14. This indicated that I ovulated. My cycle was always 28 days when I was 29. I did have a m/c at 28. My thought back then was that I was happy to know that I could conceive and that a m/c just meant that I could conceive and I did! My son is now 6.

welcome-
i am 2 months short of 40 and on my 8th cycle.
my youngest is 18 and his youngest is 8

i am taking prenatal, 400 CoQ10, 75 DHEA and starting 4th cycle of acupuncture. I OPK and BBT.
I have also used softcups and preseed on occasion but not regularly.
good luck :dust:

Thanks smiling girl, I have tried acupuncture and Chinese energy philosophy. Acupuncture & massage is great. I use hotpacks on low tummy 1st half of cycle. No cold energy food or drink (except for fruit/veggies) in last half of cycle. I won't do cleanses because there's evidence that they stress your system and weaken your immune function. I also won't do Chinese herbs after winding up in hospital with liver damage from black cohash (google 'liver damage contraindication Chinese herbs' they aren't regulated...even western brands fail in having controlled consistent ingredients).

Hmmm, I just think it takes longer after the age of 35. Considering that not every egg produced will be viable due to aging, also that sometimes the soldiers won't meet the egg/timing will be off, it just taking most couples over 35 a little longer. If you're worried you could both get checked out. In Canada a fam doc can ask for a day 3/21 (fsh estrogen/progesterone) test, u/s (antral follie count) and sperm test too. fsh gives some indication of reserves, progesterone tells if you're ovulating (you can go through cycles and while it looks like you're o'ing, really no eggie comes out).

Being over 35, taking antioxidents will help your egg quality making for less chance of m/c and less chance of it not being a good egg (won't turn into a blast or even get to m/c stage).

CoQ10,vit E/C/D for you folic acid for both of you. Folic and macca are the only supplements proven to have a measurable impact on fertility for guys although I'm sure other vitamins help with his overall health.

I also highly believe softcups help. There's LOTS of threads on B&B about them and I've personally had success with them this summer (1st time use after 1 year of no success).

I just bought some CoQ10 for myself and my OH. I looked at my prenatal vitamin and it contains vitamin E/C/D. Thanks for the head up about the doctors and tests in Canada.

Hi Smilinggirl,

Hi Hortensia,
This is the first thing I noticed that was different TTC after 35. I remember when I was TTC at 29, I had copious EWCM. I also remember my BBT having a huge jump at exactly day 14. This indicated that I ovulated. My cycle was always 28 days when I was 29. I did have a m/c at 28. My thought back then was that I was happy to know that I could conceive and that a m/c just meant that I could conceive and I did! My son is now 6.

Yep, it's the one single think that has indicated a difference in fertility to me. Despite thinking you'll be lucky enough to buck the trends, it does bring home that something has changed after 35. I've never been pregnant, so the whole thing is unknown territory for me, which is why I'm trying to keep as rational as possible about it. Not always easy :nope:

I was very diligent about taking supplements etc. a few months ago, but I've let things slide a bit. Must try to ditch the caffeine habit and start taking CoQ10 etc. since I've been hearing wonderful things about it on here!

I'm also going to try the guaifenesin again next month, although I find cough syrup really disgusting!

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with juice fasts or acupuncture. However, if you're having trouble with CM, you could try pre-seed lube. It's sperm-friendly and is supposed to mimic EWCM and help the little guys along. It is also AWESOME lube! :blush: Some ladies use another one called Conceive Plus. I don't know anything about that one though.

Hi kismet,
I found a fertility safe lube called zestica. Thank you so much for the tip!!

Me and dh had been trying for quite a while tried preseed for the first time and fell pg,good luck!

Reduce / give up alcohol and caffeine and drink something healthier instead. Since I did that my CM has improved, and I think it is simply because I am better hydrated. :)

Hi everyone,
My boyfriend and I are TTC. I am monitoring my BBT, and we have not conceived in the last 2 cycles. I seem to be ovulating, but I am not sure if I am producing enough cervical mucus. I have a 6 year old from a previous relationship and my ex and i conceived my son on our first try. I am trying to drink grapefruit juice (I heard this helps with cervical mucus). I also seem to be late for my period with every time we try. I seem to be having pregnancy symptoms around day 18 of my cycle (sore breasts, feeling tired and nauseous). I used a few HPT and they all came back as negative. I even had a negative blood test through my doctor. Has anyone had any of these symptoms while TTC? I am going to wait until 6 months of trying before I see my doctor about our fertility.

Hi there, my husband and I started trying when I was 37 (first baby), I've only just received the news that I'm 10 weeks pregnant and I'm now 40. I had blood tests which were all clear, a scan which was normal, husband tested, all good. We just kept trying and bingo!!! We'd given up hope! Keep going... they say it gets harder the older you get.

Hi everyone,

Hi there, my husband and I started trying when I was 37 (first baby), I've only just received the news that I'm 10 weeks pregnant and I'm now 40. I had blood tests which were all clear, a scan which was normal, husband tested, all good. We just kept trying and bingo!!! We'd given up hope! Keep going... they say it gets harder the older you get.

Congratulations CherryLips :happydance:

Can I ask how many natural cycles ttc you went through? I'm 39 and ttc #1 and expecting a long wait...

Happy and healthy pregnancy wishes! :)

wow lots of great advice on this thread :thumbup:

It took 6 months for my first at 37, gave birth at 38. Now ttc again at 40, we`re approaching the year mark which is normal at this age but is still a bit scary. This is our first iui month :baby:

I hate cough syrup too :sick:
Found caplets of guaffinessin. 400mg and I break on half.
Will see if it helps

Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) really works for me for producing more CM!! I'd definitely recommend it. I need to look at the bottle to see how much I take, but I think it amounts to 500mg two times a day (so 1000mg total). I started out taking 500 mg, but noticed a pretty big difference in the amount of CM I produced when I went up to 1000mg. It was GREAT having more CM, and made the baby dance a lot better!!! I stopped taking it for a month and noticed that my CM just dropped way back down to low levels again, so I'm going back out to buy another bottle. Another tip: if you take EPO, make sure you only take it the first 2 weeks of your cycle (or before you ovulate), as it can apparently cause uterine contractions so don't take it after ovulation.

Another thing that's supposed to help with CM is drinking moderate amounts of whole milk! I drink at least 1 cup a day, but am thinking that maybe I should go up to 2 cups.

The guafinessin/robitussin worked amazing! I was shocked. I get get a little ewcm before but it was crazy the amounts I got. I am afraid to try EPO because unread it can after your cycle? I'm already "normal" in that respect and don't want to mess up what is working well and the cough meds don't mess with hormones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->