Any TV/film/book geeks?

Jary

Mummy to Alice 10/05/13
Reaction score
Hullo!

Anyone fans of sci-fi fantasy tv shows, films and books?

I never seem to talk to many girls who like that sort of thing. Me and my partner are huge fans of shows like battlestar galactica (new), true blood, supernatural, fringe, futurama to name a few.

I love sci-fi and horror movies and have growing collection of fantasy books.

Just wondering if there are any like-minded girlies and if so what are your fav shows, films and books :D

Oh yes, me!

Im in love with Star Trek. My living room looks like a 12 year old boy decorated it with all the action figures, starships, and posters hanging up. Luckily my partner doesn't mind. He used to roleplay as a Starfleet security officer with his friends, and has his own collection of Trek paraphernalia scattered around. :blush:

I watch True Blood too (and read the books they're based on) but sometimes it gets too cheesy with the Eric/Sookie/Bill storylines. I want more blood, less soap-opera! And I watch Futurama casually, but havent seen any of the other shows you mentioned. Ive heard of them though.

My favorite fantasy or sci-fi book series are A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin, Stephen King's The Dark Tower, and Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. I read a lot of other Stephen King too. He's probably my favorite.

As for movies, Im a big baby when it comes to horror. I cant watch anything but vampires without hiding my eyes the whole time. My favorite vampire movie is Let the Right One In (the Swedish one, not the American remake...I havent seen that one yet.)

Anyway, its nice to see someone else who likes these sorts of things!

I love George RR Martin! I started getting into fantasy tho when I read The Fifth Sorceress by Robert Newcomb. He got so far with the series but then his publishing company cancelled them :( but that first book always remains my fav; it's got everything you need for fantasy.

I'd recommend fringe; it's like a new improved x-files but without aliens. I love vampire stuff, and yeah true blood is my fav one but it has got silly in season 4. Still love it tho lol. I just recently got into vampire diaries. It's good and like true blood provides plenty of eye candy.

I haven't read Steven king but I've heard a lot about Dark Tower. They are making a tv series I believe? I have read his sons first book Heart Shaped Box. Bit weird but I liked it.

I also read Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson. That's pretty epic!

Yay to fantasy fans!!

Im embarrassed to say that I never watched Fringe because I thought it was a regular crime drama like CSI. I honestly didnt know it was sci-fi until really recently. I keep reminding myself to check it out now that I know. Im a bit wary with The Vampire Diaries...it kind of reminded me of Twilight in the ads, and I didnt care for that. Haha, Im obviously not very informed when it comes to television shows.

I'd like to read that Robert Newcomb series. I'm not sure I could handle knowing it had no ending though...I like closure, lol. Im going to check out the other stuff you mentioned too.

There's a lot of talk about movies/tv series being developed for The Dark Tower, but it never seems to work out. :( Its a really fantastic series with the kind of story that sticks in your head long after you finish, but maybe film can't take on the scope of the story without spending too much money or ruining it.

Me and my hubby :) he is mainly into dr who, battlestar, andrommeda etc :) I live true blood but mainly the books and I've a dedicated vampire book shelf :) also we are both futurama fans :)

I thought vampire diaries was like twilight at first but it really isn't. It's kinda half way between twilight and true blood in regards to violence tho. To me it defo a lot better than twilight because it ain't as cheesy haha.

Even if you read the first rob newcomb book; it's open ended but it could be read on its own. The author would speak to fans online which I thought was nice.

I know what you mean about a food story that would be great as a movie or tv series but it's so epic that you worry whether they could pull it off. But then again; Game of Thrones...need I say more?

Tardiz; I love dr who! I miss David T as the doctor but I do love Matt smith too. True blood is very good; I love the eye candy (Eric) and its like a little naughty treat that you don't get often!
Futurama cheers me up; apart from that ep with Fry's dog and he's waiting for him to come back. I actually cried then xD and Fry actually reminds me of my partner. Lol I know
It's silly, and James isn't a dope like Fry but he's adorable and has red hair and slouches like Fry and his nose is shaped the same. It makes me chuckle and he grumbles whenever I compare him and go on about how if we ever go to another sci fi convention, I want to get him a red jacket like Fry's.

I'm horrible, I know but I love him and knows it :)

Sorry I meant good stories not 'food' stories xD damn clumsy fingers on my iPhone!

That episode is so sad. Also the one were leela finds out her parents are mutants and at the end you see how they looked after her. I know what you mean my hubby reminds me of fry mainly is the way he wants to say sweet things but they come out wrong and sometimes offensive :)

I like Matt smith too my hubby is a bit older than me so his dr is Tom baker... Sometimes I can't compete :)

We go to a few if the dr who signings and ive recently learnt about bitten Which I am interested in. ( and I do like Eric especially in te topless/ naked scenes :) ) x

Haha yes Eric is very pleasing to the eye. I've only been to a couple of conventions; one for Firefly and one for Supernatural. There is a Dr who con in June and Matt smith is actually going (z0MG) and also Throne con....which is for fans of Game of Thrones and I REALLY want to go.

Is that bitten the books or bitten the convention for true blood?

Im a fan, i watch true blood, supernatural, vampire diaries, secret circle, teen wolf and game of thrones and love them all. I read alot of paranormal YA novels infact have a whole book case full of them, my mum is trying to get me to read the game of thrones books at the moment which i think i will soon, i watched star trek when i was alot younger and remember liking it and love the film. I used to love horror films too and have about 100 horror dvds but they all seem a bit repetative for me now, which is why i read books instead lol xx

I love Buffy and Angel. Ive tried to get into Tru Blood and other shows like that but its just not the same for me. Husband tells me I'm a retro geek lol. But I am REALLY geeky about them, I have all the novels that went with the shows and a ridiculous amount of action figures, replica props etc. Hope I'm not too 'old-fashioned' sci-fi to be included lol

I also really like Firefly as well, it didnt run long enough :-(

Tardiz; game of thrones is a tv series based on george rr martins book series song of ice and fire. It's got conspiracies, evil creatures, sex, incest, murder etc. very good drama in a fantasy setting lol. And conventions are awesome!

Kit10grl; I love angel. I've met Jonathan woodward. He was in a few eps of angel as the scientist who helped Illyria take over Fred. He's a little bit mental!

I love firefly. It's because of that show I met my partner; he went to a convention for it, met my friends and they introduced me to him. Browncoats forever!

Kit10grl; I love angel. I've met Jonathan woodward. He was in a few eps of angel as the scientist who helped Illyria take over Fred. He's a little bit mental!

I love firefly. It's because of that show I met my partner; he went to a convention for it, met my friends and they introduced me to him. Browncoats forever!

So jealous! :haha: I would love to meet ANY of the cast lol. They would probably run away from creepy stalker me tho lol.

And how cool a story is that for the future about Firefly? Again jealous, would love to go to a convention. Theres nothing cool happens anywhere near me lol

I see your in Scotland. My partner went to a con in Glasgow. Rest of the time they were in London, but worth it. They are a good laugh; especially with starfury conventions as the special guests are relaxed and like to mingle with fans. We danced with a guy who was in the first season of Charmed to 'it's raining men'. Good times
:)

I like Torchwood although not so much Miracle Day.Am just reading the most recent batch of TW books. x

I love sci-fi books! But perhaps not 'regular' sci-fi, I like post-apocalyptic stuff, particularly from the 50s and 60s. Can't help but think I might be the only one though :haha:

I am a self confessed nerd/geek.

George RR Martin, Anne McCaffery, will be starting the star wars novels soon enough. I actually bought myself Star Wars-The Old Republic game for an after xmas present (also got it for OH too, I am a nice GF)

Love Fringe though not watched in ages, the same with Supernatural. Also gotten interested in a show called Haven, I also love to watch cop type shows (NCIS, Bones, Body of Proof, Rizzoli and Isles, Criminal Minds etc) Have no idea where I actually find time to do all this in my life:haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->