Any Type II diabetics with PCOS in here??

Mommy's Angel

Mommy to Angelboy 10/22/9
Reaction score
HI there,

I received a call from a nurse that kinda sent me over the edge a little.:wacko: As if enough isn't going on in my pregnancy, I've learned that most likely Amelia will be taken away from me and whisked to NICU even if she IS carried to term to be monitored for glucose levels and may need an IV line put in. :cry: I feel just awful the little one has to go through this in her short life already but I've heard it's normal and better the baby be healthy than sugar levels drop to nothing and she be in agony!

What I'm posting about is that I'm planning to get a pump soon to be on the safe side if I perhaps go early or if I even go to term and she's taken away and will need my breast milk.

A couple of my friends with PCOS have said their milk never came in and to be prepared. I'm not sure for how long they actually tried or if they even used a pump to work it out either but I'm pretty bummed about this aspect already. Is there anything I can take or eat that will help produce milk in me while I'm waiting to give birth to her this fall?

Second, I've seen in here where some have started pumping early and I'm guessing FREEZING the milk? I'm wondering how early one starts pumping in that case? I know that stimulating the nipples can cause preterm labor and since that's not something I actually want having gone at 22wks and my son passing, I'm thinking what many of you are speaking of is closer to the time when baby is due is when you start. Is my assumption correct?

Lastly. I'm concerned that once nicu takes Amelia (depending on how long they have her for) we'll have issues with latching to the boob. If it's a few days and we end up getting milk in a bottle for her to feed from, how likely will it be that she will go to the boob afterward?

What should be prepared for?!

Thank you!:flower:

Hi friend :wave: IM on my cellphone so forgive any typos i have. I don't have diabetes but i do have PCOS. my milk started to come in the end of day 2 with Owen, and around day 4 with my daughter. I would stay optimistic since you have no idea how often or frequently they pumped.

I remember a thread in third trimester about diabetics pumping early. I have no idea the reason for it, maybe ask there or Google..i remember it being something about sugar though. I know with your previous experience i wouldn't feel comfortable pumping early either. If you were to pump then you would freeze it and it would last between 3-6months.

Oats are a good way to boost your supply, there's a few other things that IM not familiar with but others are. How are the shots going?:hugs::hugs:

I'd recommend getting the book Making More Milk. There's a few chapters on preparing and one on PCOS related breastfeeding complications. You might find it helpful.
As for pumping, you can start expressing colostrum in late pregnancy (the book says you can start at 34 weeks), but rather than pumping for bottle feeding (her stomach will be very tiny) you may want to express milk and suck it up with a syringe. You can then freeze the syringes in preparation. With syringe feeding there is not going to be nipple confusion either. As you are anticipating these issues I'd see if your hospital has a lactation consultant you can talk to NOW so you can get a good game plan and support.

Thank you both very much. I'll check out that book and call the hospital about the lactation consultant ahead of time. I'll even bring it up to the Perinatologist on Fridays appointment.

Hey there Nullaby! Thanks, I'll do a search and check out the third trimester and see if anyone knows of the thread you speak of. I'm interested in finding out. I've heard about the Oats and think I'll be looking more into that as well.

As for the shots, they're going alright. No news is good news I suppose. I seem to be having random side effects each week, but nothing too harsh. The nausea I have this week. As I type the house smells like boiled eggs for some reason and nobody has cooked them. :haha: It makes me want to hurl though. Haha

Not sure if I had a cerclage last we spoke. Had an emergency cerclage two weeks ago because my cervical length went from 3.2 down to 2.0 in less than a week. So I FINALLY got that cerclage. Praying Amelia stays in there to term now. I would REALLY love it if she'd stay in there and come when she's supposed to in October so there's less she has to stay in the Nicu. It's in Gods hands though. :shrug:

Thank you both a great deal for your responses! :hugs: :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->