Anybody living/lived in Abu Dhabi?

Moomette

Reaction score
DH has just been offered an opportunity to go work in Abu Dhabi for a while (most likely 12-18 months as would want to return to NZ before DD1 is due to start school when she turns 5) and I was just wondering if anyone here had lived there and would mind sharing your experiences?

Financially it would be a great opportunity with a very generous salary tax free and they're offering free accomodation too, but I'm a bit worried about the heat and the social side of things for myself and the kids, as well as how restrictive life there might feel after only ever living in very liberal countries (Finland, UK and NZ) before.

If anyone can offer me any input it would be greatly appreciated:flower:

Can I ask what do you mean by restrictive?

One of my cousins just worked there for a year and now they moved to another country and her sister has just took a job there they both seemed to enjoy it first one has children and they seemed to love it

Sorry, was trying to think of a word and restrictive was the best I could think of. What I meant was things like how strict the dresscode is, are women allowed to drive and do everything that men would, do things like religious festivals have a big impact on general life (ie. fasting during Ramadan, etc.), etc.?

I guess I'll have to do some reading, but I've just heard various things about gated communities and needing special permits for things, but that may have been elsewhere in the region.

There is no dress code, you can wear what ever you want but you should be a bit conservative. Like for example you can wear shorts/ short skirts to the mall but not mini skirts/ too short shorts. You can wear a sleeveless shirt by again not something that overly revealing your breasts. Those restrictions are for malls only. No hardcore kissing in malls or public areas

Other than having shorter working hours (for everyone) , there is not impact of any festive seasons on day to day life. In dubai restaurants & coffee shops remain open during Ramadan, but I'm not sure if they only open at sunset in Abudhabi. But it doesn't really affect non Muslims, you can eat & drink around Muslims who are fasting, it's not a biggie.

Eid is like any other day, the only difference is the crowd in malls. Christmas & new year are given more importance than Ramadan & Eid.

You can drive, work, go back to you house late at night, etc. the country is safe. Drinking alcohol is permitted for non Muslims & you can obtain a licence to purchase alcohol for house use. But driving after drinking is not allowed even if it's only 1 glass.

You can find several groups for expats. Live here is fun but it's expensive.

I' ve always lived in sharjah & Dubai , life is a bit boring in Abu Dhabi compared to dubai but only to those who live here.

Check expatwoman.com it has loads of info for expats xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->