Anybody not do the 12 week NT scan?

Yup agreed, I just wanted to see what others chose to do. Hubby and I actually agreed to go ahead and do it... my reasoning is my insurance said they would pay for ultra sounds that were deemed "medically necessary". So, I figured it was a free chance to see my little bean!

I may not get the results of the test read to me and just wait for the Harmony test. But I'm gonna do it just for the chance to see the baby again.

Consider me selfish I just wanted to see bub... The results never would have changed anything..

We've decided against it because 1) it wouldn't change how we proceed with the pregnancy and I wouldn't follow up with amnio
2) it is wrong sometimes and causes worry for no reason (my dr says 1 in 16)
3) the bloodwork that goes with it can be confusing with twins
4) I will have the 20 week scan
But it seems like everyone else does it? Although my dr said most people don't.
Thoughts?

I don't plan to do any non-medically indicated scans, so the 12 week scan is out for me.

I refused to have it done last time. I'll probably refuse again this time. Its a tough choice because I don't know if I could terminate but I have just seen the struggle my mom has gone through with her brother (he has downs) and I don't think it's fair for my daughter to be left in that situation.

I had the 12w scan but it had nothing to do with wanting the downs risk. I wanted to see that I haven't had a missed miscarriage and I'm not comfortable announcing a pregnancy until I have physically seen the baby bouncing around and well. I did however decline the blood test that goes with the scan because it's sole purpose was to screen for downs which I wasn't worried about. I also love and want to see the baby. With all my pregnancies it's never real for me until after that scan.

Turns out we're high risk for downs and had a high reading. However I'm still not having any further testing and still not worried. At least now I can prepare for a baby and maybe read up on a bit about how to care for a newborn with downs just in case. I'm glad I got the warning. Now I can prepare for either eventuality :)

We have a dating scan around that time, but they don't do an NT screening here in the uk anyways. We have a blood test at 16wks instead.

I've chosen to not get it because if I was told I had high chances I would worry about it the whole rest of my pregnancy. I'm a worrier already. It certainly wouldn't chi ange anything with how I would proceed so even though I would love to see my baby again I'm choosing no.

I'm having at dating scan at 12 weeks due to getting pregnant right off my mmc cycle. In the province where I live the only scan they do is the 20 week. They just do bloods for all other tests.

We have a dating scan around that time, but they don't do an NT screening here in the uk anyways. We have a blood test at 16wks instead.

Maybe it is different in Wales but over where I am in the UK everyone has the NT scan as standard as part of the dating scan at 12 weeks and the blood test at the same time. Although it is an option to opt out of the NT part of the scan and blood tests if you really want.

Maybe it is different in Wales but over where I am in the UK everyone has the NT scan as standard as part of the dating scan at 12 weeks and the blood test at the same time. Although it is an option to opt out of the NT part of the scan and blood tests if you really want.

something must've changed in 2 yrs as they weren't last time I was pregnant, NT scans were not standard practice and not carried out in every hospital. They had to be either by request or by referral or privately. Maybe it's a welsh thing then as I still won't have a blood test until 16 weeks. Having a quick gander online it seems that it's only standard in a few areas.
Either way... I'm not having it. I'll just be getting a date and a pic from mine :D

12 week scans in the UK are standard.... NT screening at the 12 week scan is not and is optional. You have to opt in if you want it, they don't do it unless you say yes.

I opted for mine due to my age and this being my first pregnancy. The outcome wouldn't matter either way, but preparation and knowledge are key things for me! I know the blood test with twins is not as accurate, however my measurements are in the low risk side, and my letter came with my blood results saying low risk for both babies, yes i know not 100% out of the woods, but allowed me to relax and enjoy this pregnancy much more than not knowing one way or the other.

Thought they were pretty standard now as well. When I had my son 5 years ago it was not an option but this time was offered and I just had to let them know if I was opting in or not..which I did.

I am getting an NT scan in Aberdeen at the same time as the dating scan.

I am getting an NT scan in Aberdeen at the same time as the dating scan.

It's been established since my comment that the Nt screening is offered and is optional in SOME parts but it isn't standard practice. My hospital in Wales don't offer it and a few yrs ago it wasn't offered anywhere unless you paid privately. Guess times'a changing! X

I was offered it today, but my MW said she never presses for it as it can cause false positives and cause worry and we wouldn't terminate or do an amnio anyway.

Only reason I may do it is that my MW said they don't do 12 week scans, I'm getting an early one tomorrow but wouldn't get one until 16 or even 20 weeks. I can't decide..but I have a few weeks.

I had mine today, and thankfully it was reassuring, not worrying! I'd probably be losing my mind and regretting doing it if I hadn't had a nice normal NT measurement... I can definitely see pros and cons, but I'm just glad I got to see the baby again.

Luckily I get to see the babies every 2 weeks, my next one will be at 12 1/2 weeks. But thanks for all the responses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->