Anybody thrown a sip n see rather than a shower?

Darlin65

Married with a Munchkin
Reaction score
This is our second and my family is pushing for another shower. I believe in the etiquette that it is rude and so does DH's family. I was thinking of doing a sip n see party a week or two after baby comes. I could make all the decorations and stuff beforehand and then just have the hubby hang it all up. I plan on buying already made party platters and things too so it's easy on me. Has anyone done sip n see? This is all new to me. I thought of maybe a "tea party" or a "mason jar" theme if it's a girl. Not sure if it's a boy yet.

That sounds really nice, especially if your babies are close in age. That way people can bring gifts if they choose, but it's not expected.

What is a sip and see? It sounds like a great idea!

My LOs will be less than two years apart and both boys. My sister has organised a shower for me without telling me until now and while I am grateful that she would go to that effort, I too believe in the etiquette of only one shower. Especially for two of the same gender so close in age!

A sip and see is something that you do sometime after you bring baby home. You set up a little make it yourself bar with some premixed drinks or like champagne with fruit and juices to mix in. Then you have snacks but not a full meal. The big thing I've seen that I love is you add "no presents needed but your presence" to the bottom of the invite. Think of it sort of as a casual garden party or tea party for your close relatives and friends to come see baby. You don't do a lot of decorations or favors. It's supposed to seem a little more adult/sophisticated. No games. It's just an excuse to get together and celebrate the new arrival. I like it because with DS we had people over constantly! This way you can knock that out so the only people stopping by more frequently are the grandparents who want their one on one time with baby :winkwink:

I just want to say that I love the idea of a sip and see. I've never heard of them before. I would actually prefer it to a baby shower.

I think the 'tea party' theme sound adorable for a girl. The 'mason jar' theme seems like it could work for a boy or girl to me. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be lovely. :thumbup:

I am leaning towards this as well. This is our first but neither me or my OH is all that comfy with the idea of a shower. None of my family is close and our closest friends are men and I don't feel right hosting my own. A sip'n see or welcome to the world party is something that does appeal to us though.

Just another idea to throw at you...when I was pregnant with my third, a friend offered to host a baby shower for me. I already had a boy and a girl, so this was going to be my second of whatever gender. I am also a believer in the "first baby only" way of thinking, and a traditional baby shower seemed, to me, to be just a present grab.

On the other hand, I liked the idea of a social celebration with my friends and family. I wanted to get together with them.

So, we hosted a charity baby shower. We asked guests to bring, if they chose, a donation of diapers, wipes, formula, bottles, or other baby necessities. We had a nice afternoon of talk and games and food.

The next day, I took all the donated items to a local charity that supports low income families welcoming new babies. It was a wonderful feeling to bring in all that stuff.

While the charity idea sounds lovely, I'm not going to lie, we could use the help from some family members I know that will bring diapers and things anyway. Think that's why I like it is I know we will get gifts but I feel like I'm not pressuring them into it. I hate asking/demanding things but know any extra would really help.

I'm about to have my 2nd baby, and the girls from my NCT group from baby 1 are throwing me a shower, they are still not that common in the UK. I have made sure they all know it's ' no presents' as we dont need anything.
We are just using it as excuse for a get together with tea, cake, gossip and some silly games.

That sounds like a really good idea! I might actually steal it, since I was worrying about a shower, even though it'll be an almost 4 year gap, I wouldn't feel right throwing another 'shower'

I love this idea. :D Really do. I think I might use your idea and throw it pass my loved ones and see how they like it. We're opting out of doing a baby shower just in case there's messy drama with the families ( more on his side than mine. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->