Anyone been to Camber Sands in East Sussex

lylasmummy

Reaction score
As the title says really, we got our Sun holiday date through today, and we going to Camber Sands in May.

Just wondering if anyone has been there before, and what its like? :flower:

I've been to the beach there but couldn't tell you what the surrounding town/village is like. Thebeach is absolutely gorgeous though, massive wide, white sands, very family friendly with lots of water sports too.

Nice, sandy, rye a town nearby is nice a nice break away x

Ah, brilliant, thanks. Just wanted to make sure it will be worth the 200 mile, 3.5 hr drive there x

I have lived 15 mins either side of Camber, in both Rye and Lydd.

The beach there is lovely, but there really isn't very much to do at all in the town itself. There used to be a Pontins there, not sure if it's still there now, but other than a few small shops/arcade, there isn't much.

Hastings is about an hour away on a bus and there is more to do there. Rye is also quite nice.

I wouldn't choose to go there for a holiday tbh, but I know people who have stayed at the caravan site and liked it. If you have a car and don't mind travelling a bit, it will be better. There's quite a lot within a couple of hours such as Longleat, Leeds Castle, Drusillas, Port Lymme and Howletts Zoos, Rare Breeds farm near Ashford etc. There's also the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch light railway, which is like a mini steam train and the kids might like it.

I went a few years ago with my family and we thought it was absolutely terrible

I have lived 15 mins either side of Camber, in both Rye and Lydd.

The beach there is lovely, but there really isn't very much to do at all in the town itself. There used to be a Pontins there, not sure if it's still there now, but other than a few small shops/arcade, there isn't much.

Hastings is about an hour away on a bus and there is more to do there. Rye is also quite nice.

I wouldn't choose to go there for a holiday tbh, but I know people who have stayed at the caravan site and liked it. If you have a car and don't mind travelling a bit, it will be better. There's quite a lot within a couple of hours such as Longleat, Leeds Castle, Drusillas, Port Lymme and Howletts Zoos, Rare Breeds farm near Ashford etc. There's also the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch light railway, which is like a mini steam train and the kids might like it.

Brilliant, thanks alot for that, just googled the places you said, and I think we will go to Port Lymme zoo xx

You'll love Port Lymne. There's a lot of walking, but most of the animals have fab enclosures (does mean you can't always see them easily) and the Gorillas are quite an attraction! They do an awful lot of real conservation work too.

My sister still lives in Ashford, I'll ask her what other things there are to do and get back to you.

You'll love Port Lymne. There's a lot of walking, but most of the animals have fab enclosures (does mean you can't always see them easily) and the Gorillas are quite an attraction! They do an awful lot of real conservation work too.

My sister still lives in Ashford, I'll ask her what other things there are to do and get back to you.

Your a diamond! Thanks hun x

I used to live in Camber and agree the beach is lovely if the weather is nice. But there is nothing else in the village.

As Midori1999 there are lots of places nearby you can visit. You can get a bus to Hastings, but for other places you will need a car. Port Lyme is nice and I like the Rare Breeds centre too. Hastings is alot bigger than camber and is a bit more like a seaside town (if that makes sense!) there is a nice sealife centre there.

When are you due to go? Are you going to pontins or the caravan park?

This is the sealife centre: https://www.bluereefaquarium.co.uk/ and the rare breeds centre: https://www.rarebreeds.org.uk/

It depends on what kind of thing you enjoy doing and how old you LOs are.

Again I agree with Midori1999, apart from the beach there isn't really much to do, Pontins is stil there, not sure if thats where your going?

I would personally choose to go to Port Lympe over Howletts, there is more walking but I do think that it is the better of the zoo's.

Also within a couple of hours distance you've got Druisilla's, Kent Life, Wingham Wildlife Park, Wildwood, Dover Castle.

Hastings is nice too. :)

Ok edit- just seen this is like a year old :dohh:

The pontins is dreadful, we usually go every year for majorette finals (not this year though yay) and I'd never go out of choice.

The area is ok if you've got a car but not really much to do in the immediate area. Port lympe is fantastic though, worth a visit.

EDIT: just realised this is a year old.. :haha:

I live in Camber, it's a nice place but prey for nice weather. Rye is pretty but not great for children although there is the nature reserve that have fun events for the kids in the holidays

We had a caravan in Camber Sands for 12 years and i absolutely love it there, the beach is amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->