Anyone breastfeeding after breast reduction?

Bonnie11

Where's the Stork?
Reaction score
Hi girls!

Any of you ladies managing to breastfeed after a breast reduction?

My surgeon at the time said I would have a 50/50 chance. Had my op nearly 10 years ago. When I hand express I can way a little drop or 2 of colostrum out but nothing much more. My mw said we will just have to wait and see what happens but I will likely have to combi feed

Have any of you ladies had any success with BFing after this op? Is there anything I can do to help it?

I looked after a baby in neonates who's mum had no bother breastfeeding. I was shocked as it was obvious her surgery was extensive and she had no problem at all and a good supply. Good luck!

Thanks, I'm hopeful! Aparrently the longer since your surgery, the more likely you are to be able to. I'm producing colostrum so that's a good sign, I don't mind combi feeding but I would like to be able to breastfeed some!
Thanks for your reply

I have a friend who had a pretty significant breast reduction a couple years before she had her baby and she was able to breastfeed just fine. I don't think she even had to supplement. That said, I think BFing success in these situations is going to primarily depend on whether your milk ducts or nerves were damaged during your surgery, so it's hard to make generalizations.

If you want to BF I would encourage you to keep baby on the breast as much as possible and don't start combi-feeding unless you know that your baby needs it. The fact that you're already producing colostrum is very promising.

You may have already seen this website but if not, it's worth a look: https://www.bfar.org/index.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->