Anyone do gluten and/or dairy free diet?

mrsthomas623

MommyToNolanAndPregnant!
Reaction score
We are on day 2 of dairy free and I don't want to declare that it is working but both DH and I noticed yesterday that Nolan seemed a lot more talkative and had really good eye contact.

Just curious if any one else had tried this with autism or sensory issues?

we did the GF/CF diet for 6 months with my son. He made "some" developmental progress, but I don't give the diet the credit. He's also doing ABA therapy daily. We don't do the diet anymore..

My kids are dairy free and we limit gluten, and i do notice differences in their behavior (usually they are more happy and throw less tantrums). However, they do not have autism. With that said, I used to work with children on the spectrum (PDD-NOS, Autism, Aspergers, ADD, ADHD, OCD, etc). Some parents had their kids on a gluten free diet and every once in a while if the child got fed some gluten on accident, it was VERY evident the next day through behavior and abilities. I recall thinking that something was off that day (but oblivious as to the reason why, diet never occurred to me until i started learning more), and then i would meet up with the parents to brief them about the session, and they would mention that they ate X food the day before (or some similar happening). It all made sense then! I firmly believe that going gluten free helped these children immensely.

My son was DF for 2.5 years and now eats some dairy. We didn't notice a difference when he started with dairy. He was GF for a year, and is now wheat-free again with no difference - he was quite young when he stopped the GF though (18mo).

oooh i shall be stalking this thread. we are hoping to go gf/cf soon. were awaiting a referral to a dietitian for support before we go ahead tho. my son has suspected asd and is under assessment.
ive just started reading the autism & adhd diet book and can honestly say im petrified about how hard and costly this may be. at one point i thought id actually have to give up my job working on the cheese counter until i realised its not me with the intolerance lol.
im very interested in what support networks are out there for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->